Outdoor Kitchen Islands...building experiences/input

YeOldeStonecat

Has anyone built their own outdoor kitchen island?
We're in the process of buying a new home..I'd like the backyard entertainment area to have a permanent cooking island.
Sort of similar to the ones shown in these links..
http://cliffordrenovations.com/Media_CliffordRenovations/OutDoorBBQ/stone_island.jpg
http://www.wayraycontracting.com/images/upload/1176838564Outdoor kitchen Lembo.jpg
http://www.home-landscape-plan.com/images/outdoor-kitchen-ideas.JPG

I live in New England...CT, so durable to withstand all 4 seasons, I'm wanting rather maintenance free, so brick/mortar/fieldstone would be my material of choice.

Would like a large grill insert, stovetop side cooker, refridge, and sink.

Curious if anyone that has built their own has found any good resources online.

Lefty

Yank
That sound like a cool project. When its done, I'll pick up lobsters.

If I could do this project I would use soapstone, or blue board and cover it with some funky tiles.

Choosing a Countertop For Your Outdoor Kitchen

Choosing the right counter top is but one of many details you must consider with your outdoor kitchen plan. Of course the most important factor is exposure to all the elements. You’ll want a countertop that is easy to use and clean and will last and last without looking shabby.
That’s why granite is the best choice. You can get the same quality and luxury as inside the home with nature’s most durable surface. With easy up-keep, granite counter tops are the perfect choice for your outdoor kitchen plan.
If you live in a HOT climate, then providing for shade is a no-brainer, but especially important with a granite countertop... you could fry an egg on granite (or any stone, cement, porcelain or ceramic surface) if exposed to direct sunlight for several hours.
Other options include slate, soapstone and concrete countertops, which are very durable and can be molded to any shape with a wide variety of color options.
NOTE: Since concrete countertops are colored using dyes, they are prone to discolor and turn yellow (like quartz-see next) when exposed to outdoor weather. Blues, blacks and other dark or vibrant colors are the most susceptible to yellowing. (Some lightening of the color is normal--indoors and outdoors--over the first 6 months or so as the concrete cures.)
Stick to lighter earth tones and seal the concrete often to avoid excessive fading and color shifting.
Quartz counter tops made by Silestone, Zodiaq, Cambria and other manufacturers are NOT recommended.
For indoor installations, granite and quartz have very similar performance characteristics. Not so outside where exposure to the elements will cause the top coat coloring resin on man-made quartz counter tops to discolor often turning yellow. Because of this problem, quartz manufacturers will not warranty their product for outdoor installations.
Source http://www.countertopspecialty.com/outdoor-kitchen-plan.html

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Will you let me know when it's finished, so I can move in with you? Only in the summertime, though...Oh Dear, what will his wife say?......maybe not.

Meme4251

LOL, SS~~:yum: You are just too funny....Like your sense of humor btw oh, and just really thoughly enjoy your recipes and pics..Very nice for this forum......:agree:

GotGarlic

I live in New England...CT, so durable to withstand all 4 seasons, I'm wanting rather maintenance free, so brick/mortar/fieldstone would be my material of choice.

Would like a large grill insert, stovetop side cooker, refridge, and sink.

Curious if anyone that has built their own has found any good resources online.

I was watching something on the Home & Garden network recently, about a professional builder who added an outside kitchen. He mentioned that he doesn't do outside sinks, since they're so hard to keep clean.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm a sucker for stainless steel, StoneCat. The scratches only enhance it's appearance, IMO. I've wanted an outdoor kitchen for many years and I've always planned to construct it out of stone with ss counters. I would create the counter I wanted out of plywood and then take it to a metal fabricator to have them construct a ss "skin" for the counter. It's much less expensive that way.

YeOldeStonecat

I'm a sucker for stainless steel, StoneCat. The scratches only enhance it's appearance, IMO. I've wanted an outdoor kitchen for many years and I've always planned to construct it out of stone with ss counters. I would create the counter I wanted out of plywood and then take it to a metal fabricator to have them construct a ss "skin" for the counter. It's much less expensive that way.

That's actually a good idea....and keeping costs down is helpful.

One thing I'm wondering about....the grill "inserts"....I guess that should be chosen wisely. Hopefully they have somewhat standardized sizes...as you have to build your counter with an opening for one. Just like typical BBQs...every couple of years need to replace some of the inners (so need parts avail0, and every few more years replace the whole thing.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>out of plywood and then take it to a metal fabricator to have them construct a ss "skin" for the counter.

if you leave the plywood 'inside' the stainless steel, over time it will rot&go away. marine plywood would be the best choice for long term outdoor use - hopefully you don't have and wood eating insects in your neck of the woods.

Guts

The way I have constructed them before, for other people I don't have one. I wish I had taken pictures but never did sorry. The materials / steel studs / hearty backer or wonder board (used for underlayment for tile) then there was stucco was applied or faced with brick/stone what ever you want to put on the surface. Stainless steel doors w/ frames store bought type. and granite tops. I would suggest you buy your stuff and have it on site so you can make sure the rough openings are right. just my two cents.

YeOldeStonecat

>>out of plywood and then take it to a metal fabricator to have them construct a ss "skin" for the counter.

if you leave the plywood 'inside' the stainless steel, over time it will rot&go away. marine plywood would be the best choice for long term outdoor use - hopefully you don't have and wood eating insects in your neck of the woods.

Yeah....new england woods...was curious how wood components would fair over time. Marine grade would....worries about arsenic?

YeOldeStonecat

The way I have constructed them before, for other people I don't have one. I wish I had taken pictures but never did sorry. The materials / steel studs / hearty backer or wonder board (used for underlayment for tile) then there was stucco was applied or faced with brick/stone what ever you want to put on the surface. Stainless steel doors w/ frames store bought type. and granite tops. I would suggest you buy your stuff and have it on site so you can make sure the rough openings are right. just my two cents.

Checking out what "wonder board" is...thanks for the tip. I take it wonderboard is fairly resistant to heat changes, warming, cooling, repeat cycle...

Guts

Checking out what "wonder board" is...thanks for the tip. I take it wonderboard is fairly resistant to heat changes, warming, cooling, repeat cycle...
-------------------
Google it lots of info [ wonder board ] no wood just steel and stone & cement ... just my two cents

Lefty

Yank
Wonder board is a drywall made of cement (simple explanation) It is used in bathrooms or near moisture. Usually it is used for as a backing for tiles, since it doesn't flex the tiles wont crack.

BTW, I mentioned it in my first post. (Blue board) :tongue:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Dear Club -

don't feel bad - stuff has a lot of "local" names.

"blue board" around here is drywall with a moisture resistant coating used for skim coat plastering.

"green board" is the water/damp proof drywall used around shower/tub surrounds.

"cement backer board" is what we call the stuff for tile work - typically an underlay on floors - but certainly could be used in a shower/tub surround.

properly supported (it is 'brittle') should work for countertops. not sure how the welding is going to work out as a "wrapper" - the sides/edges should have some sort of rolled edge or wrap, meaning the stainless would have to be "welded / ground / finished in place" - definitely possible but some shops may balk at the idea.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
We're in the process of building an outdoor kitchen on our back patio, so that I can continue to bake comfortably during our long, hot and humid summer. We've purchased an additional 30" gas range with a full oven and a frig that will fit under the counter. The kitchen will be constructed from cement mostly, with cement countertops, which I already have in my inside kitchen. I love them, because they are not only heat-resistant, they are a heat sink. And I can use them directly for rolling out bread dough, pie crust, etc, with just a little flour. We've just finished raising our back wall by a meter; next step is the cover. Our summers feature spectacular rains that may reach 8" per hour for several hours, so the cover is a challenge and must include good drainage. I'll keep you posted.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I'm guessing you're referring to the construction materials for the kitchen - I took a look at the nice kitchen islands on your website. Problem is, where I live, the termites would eat them up in a year. And metal is an equally bad choice because of the humidity. So, everything is made of bricks and cement, with steel/rebar reinforcements. Does limit your design options!