1/3 cup olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 pound small fresh button mushrooms

In a medium saucepan, mix red wine vinegar, olive oil, onion, salt, parsley, dry mustard, brown sugar and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Stir in mushrooms. Simmer 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to sterile containers and chill in the refrigerator until serving.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sound good LT and I love mushrooms all kinds of mushrooms. Funny how that works too as a kid it was on my don't want at all list too.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
same here Joe !
And the same with liver, although that was more a discovery that my mother wasn't cooking her liver so much as "Mummifying" it.............:excl:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I've tried liver even by a famous Chef who will go unnamed but could not eat it. There just aren't enough onions on the planet to mask that taste to me. I do however like it chicken livers in dirty rice and boudin has to have pork liver though both are mixed with other things and are more of a flavoring ingredient. The same with anchovies with me but use it in several dishes as they just aren't the same with out it.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
That looks good LT. I used to have a really good cold marinated mushrooms recipe but I lost it in the fire and have not been able to track it down again.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
For steaks I use both button and crimini mushrooms in equal amounts some times slice sometimes not. I remove the stems of the crimini as they can be a bit tough but the button I will dice up. I then put some olive oil in a heated pan and add some thyme and tarragon to it as well as a finely diced shallot (red onion and garlic will also work). Once that sweets a bit I put the mushroom in and if whole I put the gill side down letting them start to cook. I now add about a 1/2 stick to a stick of butter depending on how many I'm making. After a few minutes I will flip them over and add a bit of salt and pepper. I then will add 2 parts wine (I use red but white is also OK) and 1 part balsamic vinegar once they are close to being done and turn it down letting the all reduce a bit. Once done I usually put this over a nice juicy steak also finished in butter (garlic being my favorite for steak).

I've had them a lot of different ways and alway love them regardless of how they are done even raw in some cases.