Formerly The Giant Mojito
I'll admit it.... I found this whole article to be VERY funny!!! :yum:
I dont agree with a lot of it but it sure was entertaining to read!!!! :thumb:

Here is the link and audacious photo of Guy Fieri :lol:
http://guiltycarnivore.com/2008/04/11/guy-fieri-is-not-making-sense/

guy.gif

The Tourist

Banned
Granted, I might be a tad sensitive about things like this, but this is pretty much the nature of fame and how people without talent perceive it. If you are envious of a skill, sadly it follows that you declare contempt for the very thing you crave.

You may have to wait a year before I can comment on this sort of thing with a level head, but it happens. I just got lambasted for all sorts of crimes simply because I know how to polish edges. It seems simple, but there exists a real hate campaign. I take comfort in the fact that this is just another page of history.

I'll be the first one to underline the fact that chefs are hyper-strung, ego-driven drama queens with an over developed sense of entitlement and a nagging habit of irritating everyone. However, they too have a skill, and a darned good one.

Let's be honest, the very blowhard you want to smack with a skillet can take a dead cow's entrails, tap water, and what falls out of a chicken's ass and combine them to put something on your tongue that's better than drunken sex.

To that end, a talentless blogger who can't even order off the menu at a food court then defames the chef's ability with his mom's computer while ensconced in her laundry room. Imagine that. I wonder if he has an agenda.

Welcome to the world of small minds. A guy who gets picked last in softball infers that all gym rats get their strength from a bottle. A wimp that doesn't even own a scooter runs his mouth that bikers aren't tough. A johnny-one-note with a handful of hardware store sandpaper sneers he knows as much as a polisher. A miscreant who can't fold an egg rants in a facebook.

I am in awe of thousand year old blades honed so skillfully that they slice silk. It took me a decade of humbling mistakes to understand that craft. It should then come as no surprise that the smear of the unschooled doesn't even break my stride.

There are chefs, students and artisans of every stripe. And yes, there is a certain pride when someone notices your contribution. But if you think such things are easy, then let your hand take up "the curse" before your ignorance is allowed to speak.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually agree with much of it Mojito and found it funny also.

Ronjohn

I'm not a huge fan of Guy Fieri.

I think the best comparison I've seen came from Antony Bourdain when he compared him to Poochie from the Simpsons. A character, added to a show (Or in this case a Network) who's an amalgamation of focus group feedback in an attempt to boost ratings.

I wish him well, and Food Network has decided to try to follow an entertainment route. Whether it works or not will be seen, but I can't blame the network for making a business decision to go in a direction and choose programming accordingly. It's just good business (doesn't guarantee success though).

And I actually do hope the succeed. Like I've always said of Emeril... despite his shtick, which annoyed foodies, he tried to make cooking seem accessable to joe sixpack. And if FoodTV can get people cooking at home again, even if they are crappy meals to start with... isn't that better than going to McDonalds?

PanchoHambre

IMO once you cross the line from Chef to Entertainer you are fair game... so it does not upset me... Some of it was funny but the Rachel Ray pics posted on the butt thread gave me more of a chuckle.

Its true some of the Food Network stuff is pretty crummy product (sorry Wart) but it also opens up cooking and food to many of us.... still poking fun at celebrities can be fun.. these fools are LOADED anyway.... and those contests are just that... realty tv they are not about cooking any more than American Idol is about real musical talent

Wart

Banned
IMO once you cross the line from Chef to Entertainer you are fair game...

Once one makes their living in the public eye their fair game.

And this Guy character is on Food Network how many times a day? Golly! And that freeking hair of his, my brother in law has hair that color, I asked him how much he charges for a BJ.

Tourist has a point about how easy it is to denigrate the work of others, OTOH one doesn't need to be a polisher to see the scratch or marring.

And so it goes.

buckytom

Grill Master
Let's be honest, the very blowhard you want to smack with a skillet can take a dead cow's entrails, tap water, and what falls out of a chicken's ass and combine them to put something on your tongue that's better than drunken sex.

remember never to ask the tourist for restaurant tips.

:tongue:

i think anton ego's review at the end of "ratatouille" said it best about critics:

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends. Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine cooking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more."

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I'm not a huge fan of Guy Fieri.

I think the best comparison I've seen came from Antony Bourdain when he compared him to Poochie from the Simpsons. A character, added to a show (Or in this case a Network) who's an amalgamation of focus group feedback in an attempt to boost ratings.

I wish him well, and Food Network has decided to try to follow an entertainment route. Whether it works or not will be seen, but I can't blame the network for making a business decision to go in a direction and choose programming accordingly. It's just good business (doesn't guarantee success though).

And I actually do hope the succeed. Like I've always said of Emeril... despite his shtick, which annoyed foodies, he tried to make cooking seem accessable to joe sixpack. And if FoodTV can get people cooking at home again, even if they are crappy meals to start with... isn't that better than going to McDonalds?

:lol::lol::lol: That is perfect!!! :applause: