Brussels Sprouts, Roasted on the Stalk

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Trader Joe's is selling Brussels sprouts on the stalk for a mere $3.99 per stalk. I'd never bought them that way before, and the price was right, so I picked one up.

Attached to the stalk was a recipe for roasting them on the stalk (see photo below). I didn't use that recipe, since I don't like sweet stuff, but I did want to try roasting them on the stalk.

Had to cut the stalk in half to get them in the fridge until I cooked them. I found a simple recipe and went with that.

I pulled off the larger sprouts on one end of the stem, cut them in half and oiled, salted and peppered them as I did the rest of the sprouts on the stalk.

I cooked them for 50 minutes, and they were very good, but the stalk ends were a little more al dente than I like. I actually preferred the sprouts that I'd cut off, so I won't do this again.

However, if you are interested in a cool presentation, it is that!

Lee

Roasted Brussels Sprouts on the Stalk Recipe

https://snack-girl.com/snack/how-to-roast-brussels-sprouts-on-the-stalk/

Makes 6 side servings

1 long stalk Brussels Sprouts (about 23 inches long)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

Heat oven to 375 F. Rinse off stalk and trim the tough leaves that you find in between the sprouts (if there are any). Place on a rimmed baking sheet. If the stalk is too long, cut it in half and place both halves on the sheet. Brush with olive oil using a basting brush. Turn it over to ensure that all the sprouts are covered and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast for 30 minutes and then rotate the stalk to ensure even cooking. Bake for another 20 minutes until sprouts can be pierced with a fork. Remove sprouts from stalk with a paring knife.

One serving is 109 calories, 7.1 g fat, 10.2 g carbohydrates, 3.8 g protein, 4.3 g fiber, 29 mg sodium, 3 SmartPts

Attachments

• Brussels 1, raw.JPG
    Brussels 1, raw.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Brussels recipe on stalk.JPG
    Brussels recipe on stalk.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 141
  • brussels 2.JPG
    brussels 2.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 133
  • brussels 3.JPG
    brussels 3.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 140

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
tried it once long time ago - I'm with you - I much prefer them off the stalk.
they do keep fresher on the stalk - so I only snap off what I'm going to cook.
cutting through the stalk can be, uhmmmm, challenging.