Bananas Foster

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, more Mardi Gras recipes.

This is very very nice for a brunch dessert, especially if you've had some eggs with tasso ham and cheesy grits...:kiss:

To serve 2 people

2 bananas, not over soft, but with a few characteristic brown flecks in the skin.
3T butter
1/3 c brown sugar
rum
banana liqueur
really good quality vanilla ice cream - make it if you have the time.

Melt the butter in a sauté pan with the bananas. Add the brown sugar and cook till bubbly, about a minute or so. Add about 1/4 c rum (don't do too much more or you'll set the house on fire...you can always swig from the bottle if you feel you want more) and a couple tablespoons of the banana liqueur. Swirl and light it with a loooooooooong tapered match. If you feel comfortable enough, and you have a gas stove, you can dip the pan to the side, letting the booze run just over the edge..it will ignite from the gas flame... It makes a light blue flame so don't put your face near the pan if you don't see it! If you are quick enough, you can spoon the contents of the pan over the vanilla ice cream while it's still flaming...

Just be careful with the fire, okay! You don't have to ignite if you don't feel comfortable doing it. The fire only burns the alcohol out faster than cooking it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I love banana foster myself. I watched Bobby Flay yesterday, actually my wife had his show on and he did a take off on banana foster with a mango which also looked good though I'm not a fan of his.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh wow, I had this once years ago down in New Orleans! They did the table-side presentation with flame and everything. This dish is to die for, I love it! Thanks for posting this.

I’m using stainless steel cookware.....do you think there will be a problem with the sugar sticking to it? That is, should a “non-stick” pan be used, or will the stainless steel be fine?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use stainless and would never use non stick with high heat. I don't see a problem since I melt chocolate and make simple syrups, even other candies and sticky sauces in my stainless steel. If you have a problem get some bar keepers friend and use hot water in the pan on the stove it will remove it.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
get some bar keepers friend ...

Just reminded me. I've seen BarKeeper's Friend for $3 and $4 at gourmet shops..... I was walking through a Super Walmart and saw that they carry an extra large container for $1.97. Thought that was a pretty good price.

I hate to be ignorant ... what is it ?? I am not familiar with it. Thanks.

quote=UnConundrum;24947]Just reminded me. I've seen BarKeeper's Friend for $3 and $4 at gourmet shops..... I was walking through a Super Walmart and saw that they carry an extra large container for $1.97. Thought that was a pretty good price.[/quote]

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I hate to be ignorant ... what is it ?? I am not familiar with it. Thanks.

quote=UnConundrum;24947]Just reminded me. I've seen BarKeeper's Friend for $3 and $4 at gourmet shops..... I was walking through a Super Walmart and saw that they carry an extra large container for $1.97. Thought that was a pretty good price.
[/quote]

It’s an AWESOME stainless steel cleaner.

And that price is awesome as well!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It is amazing! You must have this. The flame show is very impressive, but the taste wins the prize every time!

Do I have to say "ump ah"? LOL we had a Greek restaurant here where we would order the Saganaki and when they lit it they would do that. Was kinda fun come to think of it...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It not only is good on stainless steel but work well with ceramic and glass top stoves.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Oh wow, I had this once years ago down in New Orleans! They did the table-side presentation with flame and everything. This dish is to die for, I love it! Thanks for posting this.

I’m using stainless steel cookware.....do you think there will be a problem with the sugar sticking to it? That is, should a “non-stick” pan be used, or will the stainless steel be fine?

I detest non stick pans. You'll have enough butter and booze to keep anything from sticking!

Tickle Me Elmo

We love Bananas Foster. Fell in love with this dessert at Brennan's in New Orleans. One of the best things to do with bananas I can think of.

AllenOK

Some tips I've learned over the years:

When flambeing, it's best to pull the pan towards you a bit, and tilt the pan so that the 6 o'clock postion (the handle) is down, and the 12 o'clock position is up. Allow the fluids in the pan to drain down to 6 o'clock, allowing 12 o'clock to become dry, and sit over the heat. Have the booze(s) ready to go in a small cup. Once the 12 o'clock side gets really hot (but doesn't burn the sugar still coating the pan), pour the booze(s) into the liquid at 6 o'clock. In one smooth motion, extend your arm, moving the skillet of that it's centered over the burner, while at the same time bringing the pan level. The liquids will flow to cover the hopefully really hot 12 o'clock position. If the pan is hot enough, the alcohol will spontaneously ignite. If it doesn't, just lower the pan as Vera stated, and let a little of the sauce dribble out into the flame and ignite the pan.

If you have an electric stove, you probably won't be able to get the pan to ignite on it's own, and dribbling won't have the same effect. Keep one of those stick lighters handy, and once the pan is level and the liquids are boiling away, use the lighter to light the pan, preferably with the tip of the lighter just inside the rim of the pan at 6 o'clock.

Once you get really comfortable doing this at home, turn the lights down for extra effect.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy at all times.