Mama's Honey Wheat Bread

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I didn't weigh anything this first round but I will later and post the weights. I made the dough in the bread machine this time. Next time I'll try it in the Kitchen Aid mixer and see if I can make it as good.

HoneyWheatBreadRecipe-2.jpg

Here's what you are going to need:
1 cup of milk
1/3 cup of honey
1/4 cup of butter
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cup of bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) Rapid Rise Yeast
1 Tablespoon Vital Wheat Gluten
1 teaspoon salt
Here's what you need to do:

In a saucepan melt the butter and heat the butter, milk and honey to 110° F. Place the ingredients in your bread machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. Put the machine on the dough cycle.
When it has finished, remove the dough from the machine and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a rectangle as best you can. Roll into a tight roll. Turn the ends under to form a nice neat loaf.
Place the loaf in a greased 9" x 5" loaf pan. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until the dough has doubled, about 1 hour. Brush the top of the loaf with an egg wash mixture if desired before baking (1 egg white mixed with 1 Tablespoon water).
Bake in a preheated 400° F. oven for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and brush with melted butter. Cover and allow to cool on a wire rack.
HoneyWheatBreadRecipe-1.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Andy! I'm pretty excited about the way it turned out!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
dang good for whole grain - they can be tricky!

here's a thought to keep in mind.... vitamin C - ascorbic acid - think FruitFresh.
it acts as a 'dough relaxer' - I've found combining VWG + a smidge of ascorbic acid - just a bit on the end of pointy teaspoon... also helps.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I knew you could do it. Congratulations for beautiful bread and your perseverance. Bon appetit!

(Now that you've tasted it, you know why I make it so often.)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Keltin! Didn't you buy a bread machine a while back? I'd love for you to try this and let me know what you think.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
mama
that bread is just to perfect. I am beyond jealous. :clap:

I am going to give it a go today. We will see.lol

I neglected to put in there that I heated the milk, honey and melted butter to 110° before putting it in the bread machine. I'll see if one of the mods will fix it.

I can't wait for you to try it! I hope you'll post some pics!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Keltin! Didn't you buy a bread machine a while back? I'd love for you to try this and let me know what you think.

Yep, I bought a bread machine not too long ago. Do you think this recipe would work all the way in a bread machine (let the machine bake it)? Or should I just let the machine mix and knead and then bake in a loaf pan?

A buddy of mine at work has a bread machine and loves it. He’s really into using it for all kinds of bread. He bought a huge bag of Gluten, and he says the Gluten makes a world of difference in your breads. He’s bringing me a container of Gluten this week so that I can see the difference. I’ll try this recipe! I don’t have any wheat flour, but I know Publix has it, so I’ll stop by and get some tonight. I could use some more bread flour as well, so yeah, a trip to Publix is in order! :biggrin:

It’s a 3 day weekend, so I see some fresh bread in my future!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't see why you couldn't bake it in the machine. I have an old machine that makes weird looking loaves so I prefer to shape and bake them myself. Because of the honey content, the crust gets dark so you might want to set the crust to the light setting.

When I used to work at the distribution center for True Value Hardware stores, they would have employee sales from time to time (they only did it for a few years) where you could get messed up boxes and discontinued stuff for next to nothing. I got the bread machine for $5 brand new and there was nothing wrong with it. I've been using it for 10 years now...I think I got my moneys worth :lol:

I got some killer deals there for a few years. I'd spend a couple hundred dollars and get thousands of dollars worth of stuff...I sure do miss that....

Carolina Cooking

Look in the cereal aisle too. Section for Organic's.

Even tho it is organic , there will be flour.
I wanted Rye flour & its there.

I am going to make dark rye/pump.

I made that Dill Bread last week. :clap::clap: it was soooooo good. It went to bake I wasn't paying attention for the ding a ling . It was the best loaf that my BM baked.
I am going to let it bake the rye too. see what happens.
And the WW.

Boy to much carbs coming my way . But hey its to hot here to be running around. Might as well..:brows:

I don't like the shape of the loaf either. most of the time. Its to tall & short. lol at the same time. I have learned to cut one slice, then half that slice.

Mine is cheapie too. I love the thing. well not love maybe strong like ..I have rice maker that makes bread, but who makes bread in a rice cooker??? Or jam?? Not doing that.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
A buddy of mine at work has a bread machine and loves it. He’s really into using it for all kinds of bread. He bought a huge bag of Gluten, and he says the Gluten makes a world of difference in your breads. He’s bringing me a container of Gluten this week so that I can see the difference. I’ll try this recipe! I don’t have any wheat flour, but I know Publix has it, so I’ll stop by and get some tonight. I could use some more bread flour as well, so yeah, a trip to Publix is in order! :biggrin:

It’s a 3 day weekend, so I see some fresh bread in my future!

Yep...I think I'm gonna be a big fan of this Gluten stuff! It may even be the answer to my multi-grain bread dilemma I was having a while back :biggrin:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I don't see why you couldn't bake it in the machine. I have an old machine that makes weird looking loaves so I prefer to shape and bake them myself. Because of the honey content, the crust gets dark so you might want to set the crust to the light setting.

When I used to work at the distribution center for True Value Hardware stores, they would have employee sales from time to time (they only did it for a few years) where you could get messed up boxes and discontinued stuff for next to nothing. I got the bread machine for $5 brand new and there was nothing wrong with it. I've been using it for 10 years now...I think I got my moneys worth :lol:

I got some killer deals there for a few years. I'd spend a couple hundred dollars and get thousands of dollars worth of stuff...I sure do miss that....

Awesome deal! Only 5 bucks?!?! That’s cheaper than mine!

We found mine at a bent & dent type store called “Dirt Cheap”. The box was in rough shape, but all parts were in the box (including the manual!), and I got the machine for $17! SRP on that one is $59.99; I love deals like that! Check around your area. They might have a Dirt Cheap near you. They get new stuff weekly, so it’s a great place to check every weekend or every other weekend.

Ok, I’m going to try this recipe all the way in the machine and see what happens. I’ll let you know how it turns out!