Fruit Kolaches

Ian M.

Made about three trays of Swedish Fruit Kolaches for breakfast Christmas Day - served with fresh-squeezed orange juice, Italian sausages and scrambled eggs with cheese and hashbrowns. Lots of coffee. Feast fit for the Gods! Really good. Fallon says the Kolaches are a lot like commercially made bow-ties. I'd like to think they're better................

Ian :whistle: Fruit Kolaches.jpg

K

Kimchee

My absolute favorite Christmas treat!
Mom used to make them.

Can you post the recipe, please?

Ian M.

Of coarse - consider it done!

Swedish Fruit Kolaches

6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
2 pkgs. active dry yeast
2 tsp. salt
2 cups 2% millk
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/2 cup water
6 egg yolks (save the whites to make egg white omlets)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 jar of raspberry jam or grape jam - also good is apricot jam
Avoid the whole fruit variety of this - not the same amount of pectin in it and once warm, it'll run!)

Icing:

3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
4 to 6 tbls. 2% milk (I've found that usually about 5 seem to work well, depending on the consistency you're hoping to have)

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Mix together well. In a large saucepan,, heat the milk, cubed butter and water to between 120 and 130 degrees (not boiling). Add to dry ingredients, beat just until moistened. Add egg yolks, beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be quite sticky). Do not knead! Cover and set to rise in warm place until doubled - about 1 hour.

Turn dough out onto a well floured surface, pat or roll into about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2 1/2" biscuit cutter. Place 2" apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with melted butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Using the back of a spoon, make an indentation in the center of each roll. Spoon a heaping tsp. of jam filling into each indentation. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets to wire racks to cool.

Combine the powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, salt and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over pastries.

This recipe make approximately 2 dozen pastries.

They're mighty tasty!! But be prepared for the fact that when making them, no matter how careful you may be, you end up with one sticky, greasy mess to clean up once they're in the oven! But well worth it, in the end!

And be careful when you take them out of the oven - the urge to try one warm is great but keep in mind that while the pastry may be somewhat cooled to the touch, that jam filling is hot enough to burn you! I forgot about that and bit into one immediately..............ouch!

Ian :bounce:

K

Kimchee

Thanks! I am a baking novice, but will definitely give this a try!

Leni

Those are not at all like my MIL's Hungarian Kolache.
1 cup butter

1 cup Philadelphia cream cheese

1 can crushed pineapple

sugar to taste

corn starch

powdered sugar

Mix the flour, butter, and cream cheese together. Divide the dough into four balls and refrigerate overnight.

Drain the pineapple reserving the liquid. Simmer the fruit with sugar to taste and enough liquid so that you can stir it easily. Use enough corn startch (appx one tablespoon) to thicken the mixture. Let it cool.

While the fruit mixture is cooling roll out the dough to appx 1/4" thick. Using a pastery cutter cut the dough into 1 1/2" squares. Once the fruit has cooled drop a teaspoon into the center of each square. Fold one set of opposite corners over the cookie so that it forms a diamond.

Bake at 350 until golden brown. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the cookes and allow them to cool.

You can use other fruit as well. I sometimes make them with apricots. Not the worlds best directions but that's how we both cook.

I once made a plate full of these and took them into work. People would come by and grab a few of the cookies and tell me to never do this again. I was ruining their diets.

Ian M.

Different countries, different methods - doesn't make anyone either right or wrong - merely a personal preference and approach. But any way one goes at it - it tastes super and is worth coming back for more.

Viva la difference'

Ian :chef:

Ian M.

In looking back over the two different recipes it ocurrs to me that the one from Hungry is a great deal simpler to do - less fuss and muss - than the one from Sweden. I wonder which one came first? Although it really doesn't matter, does it? No contest involved, I shouldn't think...............

Ian :chef:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, Ian, those look mouth-wateringly delicious!

I wish I had one right now!

Lee

Leni

As you said, less mess less fuss. I find it interesting how the same idea keeps popping up in different countries.

chilefarmer

Ian, super nice cook, you know I had to copy your recipe. I will be doing some soon as the Christmas goodies are all gone. Thanks Man. CF