Crock Pot 20 clove Chicken

3-4 pounds chicken thighs
1 large onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
20-40 garlic cloves, peeled, but intact

In a 6 quart oval slow cooker, Place onion slices on the bottom of the stoneware insert.
In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken parts with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper, and all of the garlic cloves. Transfer to slow cooker, on top of the onion.

Do not add water.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-6.

smoke king

Banned
You know, I've always wanted to try "40 clove Chicken" they say the garlic really mellows as it cooks. Now that you've added the crock pot, this one is going on the menu! Thanks LT!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I'm Gonna take a shot at this for this week's Iron Chef, SK..........

Low work threshold :chef:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Now, THAT's a great Iron Chef garlic recipe, LT!!!

Low fat, too! I will try this!

GO PHILLIES!!!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lucky, are you going to use skin-on or skin-off thighs?

Lee

chowhound

Does the skin crisp up on this, or at least turn brown?
I need my chicken to look cooked and the skin is the best part ;^)

suziquzie

I would think the skin would get all.... ooky...... Gotta be crispy or not at all for me. I'd go skinless.....

But how about boneless?

High Cheese

Saucier
I made a rib roast once a while back that used a crap load of garlic slices. I think it was Flay's recipe. We really didn't like the finished product. I wonder if leaving the whole make a big difference?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Does the skin crisp up on this, or at least turn brown?
I need my chicken to look cooked and the skin is the best part ;^)

Chow; I've never made it, and I'm not a big Crock-Pot user, especially chicken, so I don't know..........

Qsis; I agree that the skin should stay on during the process, but then I probably will pull it off at my plate.

This is the picture that accompanied the recipe..........not my picture

garlicchicken.jpg

chowhound

Wow... now that looks crispy... and GOOD.
I can't believe the moist environment of a cslow cooker would allow for that.

Hurry up on making this, LT. Let us know how it really looks, without plastic, airbrushed chicken pieces (lol).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, the skin won't be crispy at all, chow, unless you throw it on the grill at the end, maybe.

Looks like that chicken may have been browned before going into the crock. Also, paprika will add color.

As much as I like the idea of making this dish in the crock when I'm running around doing errands this weekend, I'm struggling with the idea of sacrificing crispy skin.

I might have to bake the thighs over garlic cloves, the way I usually do.

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
good note for crock pot newbies: you should always brown things (well, most things) before putting any kind of roast or braise into the crock pot, as qsis mentioned. not only for colour but also for depth of taste. otherwise some things will get "ooky". lol.

also, paprika is a great way to add both, as she'd mentioned.

not ooky girl; qsis. :D

this looks good. thanks lt. i've made many roasts in the crock pot, starting them in a frying pan, then into the slow cooker, then finishing on a grill or in the oven. but i've never attempted chicken. i may have to give this one a go.

FryBoy

I'm thinking this just might work in the trusty old Dutch oven!
Of course it would. Indeed, the original version of this dish is from James Beard's Beard on Food, published in 1974.

Here's Beard's version from the James Beard Foundation's website:

CHICKEN WITH 40 CLOVES OF GARLIC

The large quantity of garlic called for in this Provençal recipe may seem excessive, but this dish highlights the softer side of garlic. The slow cooking time mellows the strong garlic taste and aroma and creates a buttery-mild paste perfumed with garlic that is wonderful spread on crusty toast.

Ingredients:

8 to 10 chicken legs
2/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Dash of nutmeg
40 cloves garlic, approximately 3 bulbs, peeled
4 stalks celery, sliced thinly
6 sprigs parsley
1 tablespoon dried tarragon
1/4 cup dry vermouth

Method:

Rinse chicken legs in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Dip the chicken in olive oil to coat each piece and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

Put chicken in a lidded 3-quart casserole along with the residue of oil. Add the garlic, sliced celery, parsley, tarragon, and vermouth. Seal the top of the casserole with a sheet of foil and cover tightly. Bake for 1 1/2 hours in a preheated 375° oven. Do not remove the lid during the baking period. Serve with hot toast or thin slices of pumpernickel and spread the softened garlic on the bread.

6 to 8 servings.

Recipe Notes:

Feel free to use additional garlic cloves if you wish.

Last edited:

Mr. Green Jeans

Thanks Doug. We have a few Beard Books stashed away in the archives. Whenever possible, I always defer to the indoor DO over a crock pot IMHO, the dish always turns out better.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, deal, Mr. G.J.!

You post a picture of yours and I will post one of mine, and we'll compare reports.

BTW, Lucky - the recipe calls for thighs, so I went out and bought them, but the photo you posted shows drumsticks. I prefer thighs anyway, but I'm just sayin' ....

Lee

GotGarlic

Okay, deal, Mr. G.J.!

You post a picture of yours and I will post one of mine, and we'll compare reports.

BTW, Lucky - the recipe calls for thighs, so I went out and bought them, but the photo you posted shows drumsticks. I prefer thighs anyway, but I'm just sayin' ....

Lee

Hey, Lee. I think the important thing is to use dark chicken meat rather than white meat. Chicken thighs and drumsticks both have more moisture and so would not dry out during the long cooking, like breasts or wings would.

That's also why I would use bone-in dark meat - more moisture, and more flavor :smile:

I'm going to be trying this soon, too. In fact, as I was looking at the recipe earlier, DH asked me if that was tonight's dinner. Next weekend, I think :chef:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm making mine tomorrow, Mr. G.J. and I'll post.

What did you think? Pros, cons, would you do anything differently?

Sure looks good to me! Lots of liquid!

Lee

Mr. Green Jeans

Too early yet. I'm waiting on the beets to finish baking. Then they get peeled , sliced and an orange/butter glaze. Back to the FL/Miss State game!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I think I'll try this.
But, I'll lightly pan fry the chicken first, OR bake it in the oven til it comes out with a crispy skin.. then I'll put it in either the crock (low) or the dutch oven and allow it to simmer.
Perhaps tomorrow or Monday, just depends on how I feel.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, deal, Mr. G.J.!

Lee

I also prefer thighs, Qsis; probably the reason I didn't bring the "drumsticks"
forward when I posted the recipe. The Warden mentioned the discrepancy right away (nag, nag, nag)