Uses for goat cheese

GotGarlic

Hi, all. A wine and cheese shop near us has a wonderful goat cheese with lavender and fennel pollen. It has a lovely floral scent and a luscious herbal and anise flavor. I've pretty much used it on bread as is. I was wondering if you have some other ideas for using it. I know I could put it on salad, but I really like an acidic Italian or Greek type of dressing, which I think would overpower this cheese. So, what do you think?

FryBoy

Considering the addition of lavender and fennel pollen to the cheese, I would hesitate to use it in most recipes, and instead I would just serve it as is with bread or crackers.

As for other goat cheese, the possibilities are endless. Here's one I made recently that's really very good:

ZITI WITH PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS

I agree. A cheese like that really needs to stand on it's own. Enjoy it on bread or crackers. I can't help but think that any "recipe" would kill it.

Maybe just a fruit (strawberries) & cheese platter?

Haven't tried these, but will toss some ideas out as food for thought...

Perhaps strawberry & goat cheese stuffed french toast.

(Don't know about the chocolate sauce & ice cream, but unlikely go-together ingredients have been used on Chopped. Ya never know.)

http://misohungrynow.blogspot.com/2009/11/kicked-up-french-toast-stuffed-w-goat.html

Goat cheese stuffed pork tenderloin:

http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/2007/06/goat-cheese-stuffed-pork-tenderloin.html

Again, these are just ideas.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I have a recipe for a crostini that this chevre might work with. Recipe is HERE (sorry, no picture). It was a favorite of ours.

Another choice would be to melt some of the cheese in some heavy cream. Reduce to a consistency you like, and toss with some elbow macaroni. Makes an interesting side dish.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
A friend once served Cornish hens with goat cheese and herbs stuffed under the skin. It was delicious!

Thanks for asking this question; I had forgotten about that dish and now I'm meanin' to try it.

I also frequently use goat cheese as a "stuffing" for chicken - either under the skin of skin-on bone-in breasts; stuffed into pockets cut into thick boneless, skinless breasts; or rolled or folded in pounded boneless, skinless breasts.

But in any of these cases, I wouldn't use a somewhat "flowery" goat cheese like the OP has. Would lean towards either a plain fresh cheese or a savory herbed one.

GotGarlic

Thanks for the great ideas - I especially like the crostini and chicken with goat cheese and herbs stuffed under the skin. Have you posted that recipe, SS? I'd love to see it :smile:

abi_csi

I agree with some of the comments above.
Regular Goats Cheese can be used to stuff and cook a whole manner of dishes, but one so delicately infused requires little 'messing around with'.
If you do add it to a salad don't use a dressing, it'll overpower the cheese, and I bet there is no need for a dressing when using that cheese anyway.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Stuff some hulled strawberrys with it and season with cracked black pepper for a refreshing, and delish lil one biter hours douver