Prime rib or beef tenderloin?

Which would you choose for Christmas dinner?

• Prime rib

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Beef tenderloin

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Neither - something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm debating myself about which to have for Christmas dinner.

Which would you choose?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm doing Beef Wellington from tenderloin this year.
the peanut gallery is "tired" of prime rib.... say whot?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I change it up from year to year. To please myself, I often to beef Wellington. But some like prime rib, so I do that sometimes instead. I also put duck in the Christmas rotation.

This year I'm doing a deconstructed beef Wellington. Sous vide then sear some filets. Top each wile a slice of seared fois grass, a brandied mushroom duxelles, a red wine reduction sauce with a touch of Dijon, and top with a puff pastry hat.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm doing Beef Wellington from tenderloin this year.
the peanut gallery is "tired" of prime rib.... say whot?

Please post your recipe chowder. Family doesn't like liver. I think they would love your version.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Prime rib over tenderloin always, unless it's a Welly. Definitely wouldn't turn down one like SilverSage described.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
recipee? udderly simple, just leave out the liver.

pre-heat oven and baking stone to 450'F

s&p, brown the beef, set aside.

crimini mushrooms finely diced. I don't care for the food processor - but it needs to be a fine dice. figure on 8 ounces per chunk - see pix of 1 lb. "chunk"
IMG_0493.jpg

onion product - leek or yellow onion - not 'sweet onion' - also finely diced to minced. about half the volume of the mushroom.
saute in oil/butter, S&P.
add splash of dry Marsala
[option: other seasoning - fennel, dill, celery seed, dry mustard, caraway....recommend avoid "Mediterranean" spices/herbs]
saute / low heat cook until the wine is evaporated and the mix is dry.
too much remaining moisture will come out during the bake and make the crust soggy. allow mix to cool.

I thin a puff pastry crust about 1/2 of the as bought thickness.
spread the mushroom mix over the projected wrap area.
plunk on chunk-o-beef
wrap
seal seams with water or beaten egg - seal between each layer of pastry at the ends to minimize leaking.
use scrap pastry to decorate top - brush with water or butter or egg wash or not. if you have large crystal sea salt, sprinkle on the wet wash.

I put the roast on an alum foil sheet directly on the pre-heated stone to maximum crisping the bottom crust.
my 450' oven takes about 17-20 minutes to puff&brown the puff pastry.
allow to rest 5-10 minutes prior to slice/serve - but do not cover

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks as if prime rib is the winner here. A lot simpler than Wellington, and my people prefer stuffed mushrooms with the meat anyway.

It's on sale all over the place - some great deals!

Thanks, everyone!

Lee