Restaurant servers and specials

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Given 1 of the recent pics in the "funny pics" thread, when you are in a restaurant and the specials are listed on blackboards (sometimes 2 or more) that can be easily seen from anywhere in the restaurant OR you are given a separate menu listing just the specials, how do you feel when your server starts reciting the specials? It annoys the cr@p out of me. I'm not stupid, I can see and I can read. I don't need somebody standing over me rattling off info that's right in front of me. Besides the fact that most people, me included, sort of zone out after so many words. I usually interrupt and tell them thank you, but I don't need you to tell me about them since I can read. Craig thinks I am being a bit ridiculous and rude, but I feel they are being a bit ridiculous and rude. And it's not something the servers in all places are required to do because I've seen them do it at some tables, but not all.

To me, a server should greet me, ask if I have any questions on the menu or specials, then take my order, serve my food, ask if I want more to drink, about the food, etc, basically serve.

How do you feel?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Normally I already know what I want before I go to a restaurant, so that's avoided.

As long as I never get a waitress like this, I'll be fine.
Enjoy the clip!
Lol
[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ENZglTjDrA[/ame]

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
yeah - when a place has two specials the "Let me tell you . . ." approach works okay, but the 10 minute oral menu thing is not realistic.
I usually wait until they're done and then do a "Could you repeat that please?"
sometimes they giggle
sometimes they blindly start over
sometimes they ask 'is there something special...'

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't recall ever having had that experience, med. I think I've only heard the server recite the specials when they are NOT written in the dining area or on a separate page.

Then again, I don't eat out often - maybe 6 or 7 times a year.

Lee