This was my answer to the problem.

The Tourist

Banned
One of the things I've learned in life as a baby boomer--besides the fact that you can't get a decent merlot with jail food--is that if I have a problem, so do millions of others. This issue may have concerned you.

Now, I'm not a germophobic, but I like to have my own eating utensils. For example, I have my own fork at home. It is not part of the set we use, but a heavier implement, smooth in design, and the tines are straight.

And as you can imagine, I like razor sharp knives.

My wife hasn't felt too good lately. As a result, we are eating out more than usual. As this situation might continue for a bit, I'm thinking of buying an individual set of flatware I can carry with me. But that leaves a need for a good steak knife.

Below is a small knife, with its own wooden scabbard I purchased on the JapanWoodWorker. In fact, over the past few years I've bought over a dozen. I think my last order was for six of them.

Rightly, it is called a "Picnic Knife," and as you can see buy the size of the credit card, it is quite portable. It could easily slip into a man's suit pocket or a woman's purse.

And because of its bland, traditional appearance, most dining guests around you would just assume it's a steak knife. Right before leaving the restaurant, I clandestinely wipe it with a napkin or rinse it in the washroom. I suds it at home. A brief stropping hones the edge for the next outing.

If a friend likes the knife, give it to them.

If purchased retail they go for 12 dollars and as stated very easy to sharpen and clean.

If you like a good steak, but the cheap serrated knife provided flattens your enthusiasm, this might be a easy solution. I used mine last night with a fancy-schmancy turkey dinner. One of the diners even commented that my knife seemed to cut better than hers.

DSC00389.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Neat looking little knife. I bet it would cut better than the ones you typically get in a steak house.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Neat looking little knife. I bet it would cut better than the ones you typically get in a steak house.

Wouldn't take much to be better than that :yum:

Most of the stuff in the dining room of a restaurant is dull, the handles loose, and THE FORK TINES ARE BENT. My wife laughs at me because I spend as much time bending all the forks on the table back in line as I do eating :angry:

The Tourist

Banned
And that's the entire issue. I like good flatware, the tines drive me nuts. And if I'm paying for a steak, the experience should be memorable.

If you think about it, how many restaurants have you stopped patronizing because the service was poor, even if the food is good?

Strange as it may seem, my wife and I eat out quite a bit at a local Perkins. We know two of the managers, and most of the serving staff. (The place doesn't buy pens or notepads for the servers, so my wife and I always take a buddle of them with us. Best investment we ever made.)

We never have a problem with food at Perkins. In fact, we seldom order from the menu. We tell the manager or the server what we would like to eat, and they bring it. One of the managers even made an eclair for my wife on the spot because that's what she craved.

And I must confess the same sin. The reason I mention this Perkins is the way the flatware is provided. The knife, fork and spoon come pre-wrapped in a napkin. Sometimes I unwrap three or four of them to find a "perfect" fork. My apologies to the staff, but I cannot eat with a bent fork.

Oh, I use the napkins in most cases, but the servers now have to gather "clean" utensils as they bus tables.

The steak knife, however, is a deal-breaker. You hand me a dull knife and the air goes out of the festivities. The steak seems tougher, my joy dampens. I've even taken a knife from my pocket for use. And you should see the EDC knives I carry!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Thats a pretty nifty knife! But if it was a steak knife would it not be serraded? Im obviously new to the whole "knife" thing.

The Tourist

Banned
The reason that modern knives are serrated is that they can "operate" in a poor state of repair. The assumption that serrated knives cut better or are sharper is largely an advertising myth. After all, the serrated portion of the knife and the plain edge of a knife are made from the same steel with the same HT and HRC.

A properly cared for knife with a smooth, polished edge will out-cut a dull serrated knife. You have to pull and rip with a dull serrated knife. This little picnic knife glides through a steak on one pass.