low sodium recipes, hints

cookingirl

Hi everyone, I have a request.. my dad has to be more restrictive on his sodium intake.. I am constantly looking at labels and try to make as much food as I can, however, he is very fussy.. I know most convenience foods are out-but it is soo hard to find a variety of things for him to eat. He is elderly, 90 yrs old, and very fussy.he has a right to be.......and has lost his appetite..so I am in a quandary..
You would not believe how much hidden sodium there is on 'healthy' things..
A bottle of Ensure has as much sodium as a small bag of chips!!!!! wow!
:thankyou:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
use herbs on bland foods. & nu-salt, if his doc approves, is another- it's a mineral salt, yet not similiar 2 regular salt.. citrus juices, & the graunlated citrus packets. unsalted butter, & many other items abound here!. browse 'buot, check penzy's site rather near 2 me & have a plethora of salt-less herbs!~ there's also curries & that. 'kay. i'm out 4 a few. gotta go glam mysef.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, not sure what you are asking here. Are you looking for recipes to make for your Dad?

Like what? Soups, stews, casseroles, one-dish meals, etc. that are easy for him to heat up when he feels like eating?

What's he like?

Lee

I try to avoid canned foods, & go w/ fresh or low sodium (chicken broth etc.) Lemon (Lemon pepper), lime & citrus add flavor w/o using salt.

cookingirl

Hi Lee, I am looking for both---things which I can make on a week end, freeze some and have some left overs which he can re-heat in the microwave......Yup, I do read labels, I ksdo not add additional salt.
My dad is really fussy about herbs..have to very slowly get him to accept them.....a lot do not agree with him...I am just at a loss as to what to cook besides my usual staples--which do get boring....but I think this is the best I can do....
thanks

Carolina Cooking

Now you made me go to the pantry ;-)
0.9 gm sodiium per 1/4 tsp
The whole jar is 5.87 oz (166g)
Spice Classics - distributed in Cockeysville, Md

yup salt & sugar. I make my own lemon/pepper.

Cyn I know you know about salt free Mrs.Dash. Fake salt too. I never liked that tho. After taste. Might be just me..

I don't have to watch my salt or fats. However sugar & carbs a whole nother thing .. Its always something..

Hi Lee, I am looking for both---things which I can make on a week end, freeze some and have some left overs which he can re-heat in the microwave......Yup, I do read labels, I ksdo not add additional salt.
My dad is really fussy about herbs..have to very slowly get him to accept them.....a lot do not agree with him...I am just at a loss as to what to cook besides my usual staples--which do get boring....but I think this is the best I can do....
thanks

You could probably adjust this one, i.e. omit the salt, use low-sodium tomato sauce or sliced/chopped tomatoes instead.

Baked Chicken Parmesan

8 thin chicken cutlets -- (1 1/2 pounds total)
kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs -- beaten
2/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 jar marinara sauce -- (24 ounce)
1 pound mozzarella cheese -- fresh, sliced

Heat oven to 400º F. Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.

Place the flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls; in a third shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan. Coat the chicken with the flour, then dip in the eggs (letting any excess drip off), then coat with the bread crumb mixture, pressing gently to help it adhere.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken in batches until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.

Pour the marinara sauce into a large, shallow baking dish. Top with the chicken and mozzarella.

Bake until bubbling and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.

"http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...ken-parmesan-recipe-00000000029736/index.html"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Serving Ideas : Serve with chopped romaine lettuce tossed with lemon juice, olive oil, and toasted pine nuts.

You could probably adjust this one, i.e. omit the salt, use low-sodium tomato sauce or sliced/chopped tomatoes instead.

Baked Chicken Parmesan

8 thin chicken cutlets -- (1 1/2 pounds total)
kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs -- beaten
2/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 jar marinara sauce -- (24 ounce)
1 pound mozzarella cheese -- fresh, sliced

Heat oven to 400º F. Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.

Place the flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls; in a third shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan. Coat the chicken with the flour, then dip in the eggs (letting any excess drip off), then coat with the bread crumb mixture, pressing gently to help it adhere.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken in batches until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.

Pour the marinara sauce into a large, shallow baking dish. Top with the chicken and mozzarella.

Bake until bubbling and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.

"http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...ken-parmesan-recipe-00000000029736/index.html"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Serving Ideas : Serve with chopped romaine lettuce tossed with lemon juice, olive oil, and toasted pine nuts.

I would also cut way back on the cheese - i.e. omit the Parmesan, & use about 1/4-1/2 cup part-skim mozarella - shredded or thinly sliced. You can bring the #s down on a recipe by reworking it a bit, to your taste.

yup salt & sugar. I make my own lemon/pepper.

Cyn I know you know about salt free Mrs.Dash. Fake salt too. I never liked that tho. After taste. Might be just me..

I don't have to watch my salt or fats. However sugar & carbs a whole nother thing .. Its always something..

Everything is zero, no sugar. For me, it's an over all balance. The lemon pepper was a suggestion for seasoning, just don't get carried away. A shake or two will do in beaten eggs for chicken parmesan etc. Mostly, I use citrus, & don't care much for salt. Fresh fruits, veggies & uncanned foods are healthy choices. I mostly try to cut the fat.

K

Kimchee

He is 90 years old.. NINETY!!!

He has earned the right to eat what he wants to eat.....
IMHO, at that age, what HE wants is what is important. If he
wants to eat salt flavored salt, then he should enjoy, and his relatives
should take joy in his happiness, instead of him becoming a miserable
old man who cant eat what he wants.

My opinion only.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
He is 90 years old.. NINETY!!!

He has earned the right to eat what he wants to eat.....
IMHO, at that age, what HE wants is what is important. If he
wants to eat salt flavored salt, then he should enjoy, and his relatives
should take joy in his happiness, instead of him becoming a miserable
old man who cant eat what he wants.

My opinion only.

Very well stated Kimchee.

Cookingirl, I'd let Dad have what he wants at this point.
He likely didn't reach the ripe age of 90 being overly careful with his diet.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
CG, can your Dad have fat in his diet? u could try flavored oils- i've many & they work very well w/ pastas, veggies, for dipping Italian bread into.......
also, i use infused vinegars, those have great uses

could you specify some of the food he prefers, & i'll think some more 'bout other items/foods/recipes, & i'm checking my Chef schooling book-
checked, there's a plethora of sauces, soups & so many recipes that that haven't got salt in them! luv it!
when i can't find my appetite, i'll eat a carb, a slice of bread, leftover pasta, or, a half of a half of a bagel, maybe a piece of an english muffin, plain. that gets my appetite 'goin after a few, maybe that would work for you Dad~

luv 'ya, CG

cookingirl

yup, my dad is 90... I he has congestive heart failure and was recently hospitalized for difficulty breathing with his legs swollen with pitting edema up to his knees... the congestive heart failure caused him difficulty breathing and delirium due to lack of oxygen to the brain----I agree with you about letting him eat what he wants.. He had been very good with a lower sodium diet, then got very finicky with food (lost appetite) and then started with the reg sodium products which he craved..this severe attack....am at work so this is a crazy note...
thanks all talk later

cookingirl

I apologize to all if I sounded snippy earlier...I have just not been myself lately and sometimes when someone, like me, comments on stuf, in writing, it comes across as snippy...:ohmy:
I am a firm believer that my dad has gone thru enough in his life--he deserves some enjoyment, where ever it may come from.. I am asking for some hints cuz I want to make him some good, tasty food.. I guess he is at the point in his life that if he indulges, he suffers....He asked to go to the hospital! For him that is incredible! If he is truly at the tail end of his life, I want to make him as comfortable as possible, without suffering..I hope you guys understand..He will have some regular salted stuff, but on occasion..it is hard enough to restrict him and I want him to eat!
Luvs and guys--he really dislikes chicken, but he is willing to try now..
He is tired of fish, I have salmon, scallops, and haddock in freezer now, he said he will eat it...he dislikes the taste of steak now..unless in a tomato soup, pot roast or rare/med rare roast that is very tender--I buy tenderloin for him...I cook pretty plain..use a tad of garlic, surprised that sahe likes Penzy's herb de provence!! dislikes rosemary, lemon...I use a lot of oregano and parsley and butter! and olive oil, tomatoes he likes, but not too much sauce! occasional salads..He gets tired of the same stuff..and I am out of ideas--tired of omelets...he just needs to get some kind of appetite--but when he does, it is for the real salty stuff he grew up with-he is Polish-fatty stuff within reason..
for the 4th week end, I usually cook kielbasa with mashed taters and pickles beets, :steak filet with caramelized onions, baked taters and sour cream, or potato salad and corn on the cob, : salmon steak with rice pilaf and some kind of veggie or salad..yup this is ok except for the kielbasa..but he needs to have some leftovers for the week..
I am very long winded right now cuz I am just wiped out from the past few weeks, and it seems like it is never ending..thanks for listening to me while...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ah! Okay, Cookingirl, that is a great post and gives us a lot to work with!

Here are some of my ideas for your Dad. You will need to play with ingredients, according to his tastes and needs.

Go get some rest, you poor kid! Sounds as if you are exhausted!

Lee

Lazy Pierogi

The taste of pierogies without all the fuss!

Ingredients
15 lasagna noodles
2 eggs
2 cups Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
2 cups mashed potatoes
pepper, to taste
garlic salt, to taste
Onion powder, to taste
1 cup butter
1 Onion, chopped
sour cream
Directions
Cook lasagna noodles and drain.
Line bottom of 9x13 pan with a single layer of noodles.
In bowl mix mashed potatoes, Cheese, egg, and spices.
Spread half over noodles.
Cover with another layer of noodles, then Potato mixture.
Melt butter or margarine in fry pan, saute Onion until clear and soft.
Pour over noodles.
Cover with foil.
Bake 30 minutes in 350F oven.
Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Serve with sour cream.

Pork or Lamb Chops - Sherry Pork and Mushrooms (Keltin)

Ingredients

4 Pork Loin Chops, cut into 1” cubes
2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup Sherry
Salt and pepper to taste
4 cups cooked Egg Noodles
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp Garlic butter
2 tbsp oil

Procedure

Cook Egg Noodles according to package directions. Drain and remove to a large bowl. Add garlic butter and toss to coat. Cover and keep warm.

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork cubes and sauté to brown on all sides. When nearly cooked through (about 3 – 4 minutes), remove to a covered dish and keep warm. Add butter to skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft (about 8 minutes). Remove mushrooms to bowl with pork, cover and keep warm.

Return pan to medium-high heat. Add sherry to pan to deglaze. When liquid has reduced by 1/2, add pork and mushrooms. Frequently stir until liquid has reduce by another 1/4 and is beginning to thicken. Once it has done so, immediately remove from heat. Spoon pork and mushrooms over a bed of the buttered Egg Noodles and serve.

SALISBURY STEAK (adapted luvs2cook’s recipe)

( 2)10 3/4 ounces cans cream of mushroom soup, condensed (separated)
2 pounds ground beef
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs, or cracker crumbs
3/4 teaspoon salt
ground pepper to taste
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 pkg sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup water

Heat oven to 350 F. In medium bowl, combine ½ can of the soup with remaining ingredients except water and mushrooms - mix well.

Shape mixture into 4 patties; arrange in single layer in 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 F. for 30 minutes. Skim off fat.

While patties are cooking, sautee mushrooms in butter/oil.

In small bowl, combine remaining soup, water and sautéed mushrooms; spoon over patties. Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes.

Serving Size: 4

Meatball Sub Casserole (Bam)

this is an easy to make ahead kind of meal..just pop it into the oven 30 minutes b4 you want to eat

Meatballs:
1/3 C chopped green onions
1/4 C seasoned bread crumbs
3 T grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb ground beef
1 egg
minced garlic

Casserole:
1 loaf french bread, cut into 1-inch slices
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 C mayo
1 t Italian seasoning
1/4 t pepper
2 C shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
28 oz spaghetti sauce 1/2 C water
2 garlic cloves, minced

Meatballs:
In a bowl, combine onions, crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Add beef and mix well.

Shape into 1-in balls; place on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink.

The rest of it:
Meanwhile, arrange bread in a single layer in an ungreased 9x13x2 in baking dish (depending on the size of your loaf, you may need more than 1 or may not use all of one)

Combine cream cheese, mayo, Italian seasoning and pepper; spread over bread.

Sprinkle with 1/2 C mozzarella cheese

Combine sauce, water and garlic; add meatballs. Spoon over cheese mixture.

Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 C mozzarella. Add a little Parmesan or cheddar if you want

Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese has kind of browned

Kielbasa, Cabbage and Mac Casserole

6 slices bacon
1/4 cup water
2 T sugar
1 onion, chopped
2 teas minced garlic
1/4 teas crushed red pepper flakes
3 teas caraway seeds
1/4 teas seasoned salt
1 SMALL head of cabbage, cut in small wedges, then sliced
1 pound Polish kielbasa, sliced (I would cube it next time, to spread it out more)
1/2 pound uncooked elbow macaroni

Cook macaroni. Drain.

Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, drain, and reserve.

Stir water, sugar, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, seasoned salt, and caraway seeds into bacon drippings. Add cabbage and stir. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes.

Add kielbasa to the pan. Mix in the macaroni. Place all in a 13 x 9 casserole dish. Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Ground Beef and Tater Tot Pie (Ol Blue)

1 pound(s) GROUND BEEF; Lean.
1/4 cup(s) BREAD CRUMBS; Dry.
1 EGG
1/4 teaspoon(s) SALT
BLACK PEPPER; To Taste.
2 tablespoon(s) ONION; Finely Chopped.
1 clove(s) GARLIC; Minced.
1 can(s) (10 3/4 ounce) CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP; Divided.
1/2 teaspoon(s) MARJORAM
1 can(s) (14.25 ounce) GREEN BEANS; French Style. Drained.
1 cup(s) CHEDDAR CHEESE; Shredded And Divided.
TATER TOTS
_____

In a bowl mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, onions, garlic, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup of the soup.
Press the beef mixture evenly against the bottom and sides of an ungreased 9-inch pie pan.
Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese over meat.
Spread drained green beans over the top of the cheese.
Drop remaining soup by spoonfuls over the beans until completely covering beans.
Cover with Tater Tots.
Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and tater tots are brown.
Just before serving, sprinkle remaining cheese over tater tots and return to oven until melted.
Cut into wedges and serve.

HERBED MEATBALL STEW (Fry Boy)

Meatballs:

1½ pounds ground beef
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
¼ cup catsup
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Stew:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups sliced carrots
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon thyme, crumbled
½ teaspoon marjoram, crumbled
½ cup red wine
4 cups shredded cabbage
1 16-ounce can kidney beans, drained
1 teaspoon caraway seeds

Directions:

1. Combine ground beef, beaten eggs, fresh bread crumbs, catsup, garlic powder, salt & pepper.

2. Form meat mixture into about 24 golf-ball-sized meatballs and place on foil-covered rimmed baking pan.

3. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes or until well browned.

4. While meatballs are browning, saute onion in olive oil a large (5- to 8-quart) covered pot until translucent.

5. Add garlic and saute for additional minute.

6. Add tomatoes, sugar, carrots, bay leaf, thyme, marjoram, & wine; bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes.

7. Add browned meatballs, cabbage, beans, and caraway seeds; mix gently; add ½ cup water if needed.

8. Return stew to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour or until carrots are tender.

Makes 4 generous servings.

Other ideas: stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage (golompki), beef stew, Swedish meatballs over egg noodles, baked mac and cheese .....

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
hon, we wub u here. you weren't griping! u're obviously stressed & that's okay! if we weren't meant 2 have emotions, we wouldn't own them. i didn't find your post snippy! :)
i have so many recipes! my Pap used to pressure-cook ham/cabbage/potato- he'd be about your Dad's age now. didn't require salt, we'd put pepper on that & the cabbage & potato u could omit the ham, replace w/ beef! could u make him pizza- so very incrediously versatile?! i have a few stock/'shroom jus recipes. & sauces sans sodium he may like. if yinz like pork, maybe sear/crockpot on lo till u can shred it w/ a spoon & that, & make him a sammich. that that w/ subtle seasoning. does he like dippy eggs- those can be a great meal, pepper is plenty 4 them. a 'lil sage maybe.
i strongly recommend that nu-salt. it's quintesentially potassium, great 4 the ticker in my case anyhow, & maybe try some brekkie foods- my Pap luved those.
have sweet nite, luv

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Should the elderly follow a low-sodium (salt) diet if they have high blood pressure? Perhaps! A low-sodium diet can help keep high blood pressure under control, and in doing so, may prevent individuals from having a stroke or heart attack. Studies have shown the benefits of therapy to reduce blood pressure in older adults up to 80 years of age. After age 80, the data are less clear as to possible benefit.
Everyone is different. If individuals are healthy and active, and are able to stick to a low-sodium diet (sometimes called a low-salt diet), than by all means they should do so. However, if they are in frail health and have a poor appetite, restricting foods that are high in sodium sometimes is not in their best interest.

Quality of life
Is it OK to allow the elderly who have high blood pressure to eat high-sodium foods? It is hard to say “yes” or “no” without knowing more about the person’s eating habits, medicines, and medical condition. Every situation is different. However, it is important to consider quality of life for older individuals. If bacon is something they really want, perhaps you can compromise on how often and how much. Try buying the lower-sodium variety of bacon, or, if they are truly insistent and get pleasure from eating this food, perhaps you should give in and let them enjoy bacon as part of an overall healthy diet.

Low-fat diet for individual with weight loss
Because so many elderly people have medical problems and/or are taking many medicines, it is hard to sort out if a low-sodium diet will lower blood pressure. In many cases, a diet will not hurt and might help. However, nutrition experts who work with the elderly agree that one way to improve the intake of a poor eater is to “liberalize” the diet. This means letting the elderly eat what they want and stopping any dietary restrictions. This change often improves food intake, increases quality of life, and results in better resistance to illnesses.
--------------------------------------------
References
American Heart Association, Council of Clinical Cardiology Subcommittee on Exercise, Rehabilitation, and Prevention: Williams MA, Fleg JL, Ades PA, et al. Secondary prevention of coronary heart disease in the elderly (with emphasis on patients ³75 years of age): an American Heart Association scientific statement from the Council of Clinical Cardiology Subcommittee on Exercise, Rehabilitation, and Prevention. Circulation [serial online]. 2002;105:1735-1743. Available at: http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/105/14/1735. Accessed January 29, 2009.
American Heart Association Nutrition Committee: Lichtenstein AH, Appel LJ, Brands M, et al. Diet and lifestyle recommendations revision 2006: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Nutrition Committee. Circulation [serial online]. 2006;114:82-96. Available at: http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.176158. Accessed February 2, 2009.
Niedert KC: American Dietetic Association. Position of the American Dietetic Association: liberalization of the diet prescription improves quality of life for older adults in long-term care. J Am Diet Assoc [serial online]. 2005;105:1955-1965. Available at: http://eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ada/hs.xsl/advocacy_adar0902_ENU_HTML.htm. Accessed February 4, 2009.