Basic Chicken Stock

AllenOK

Basic Chicken Stock
Yields: about 2 gallons concentrated stock

I make this stock more than any other. Mainly, it’s because chicken is cheaper than most other meats, and I make a lot of things with chicken. One thing to remember, since I cook this overnight, it’s best to ensure that there is nothing that could possibly catch fire in the kitchen. You can also cut the quantity down by half, and make this in a crockpot all night.
I’m also going to give you two methods for the chicken. Read through each, and decide which you’d prefer to do. Lately, I’ve been roasting my scraps, as this provides a richer flavor, and since the albumen is already coagulated, I don’t have to worry so much about the stock being cloudy.
I skim as much of the fat from the stock as I can, as I’ve found that when you reduce the stock, the boiling action tends to emulsify the fat into the liquid, creating an opaque stock.

Chicken bones and scraps from approximately 4 chickens
1 large onion, quartered, with skin
4 stalks of celery, cut into 4” lengths
Cold water
A 18 - 22 qt stockpot
A half-gallon sized pitcher
Something that can withstand hot fat
A 16 qt stockpot, or other large containers to hold hot liquid in
One 2 liter soda bottle, label removed, and washed inside and out
One bag of ice
Ice cube trays

Fill the soda bottle with cold water and freeze it solid. I usually do this a day or so before I make the stock.
Method #1: Place the chicken scraps into the 18 - 22 qt stockpot, and cover with COLD water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. As the water heats, it will coagulate some of the proteins in the chicken, which will float to the top and catch all the little particles that cloud the broth. This will all float to the top and accumulate as “scum” which you’ll want to skim off. This takes quite awhile, but results in a nice clear broth or stock.
Once you’ve skimmed all the foam from the top of the broth, and no more is being generated, and the broth has begun to boil, drop in the onion and celery, and add enough water to just cover the ingredients.
Method #2: Place all the chicken scraps into a large roasting pan. Roast the scraps in a preheated 500°°F oven until the top of the scraps start to caramelize, about 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and using a sturdy spoon, stir the scrap around (some of them will probably stick). Return the pan to the oven until the top lay is caramelized again, about another 30 minutes or so.
While the scraps are cooking, partially fill the 22 qt stockpot with HOT water, the onions, and celery. Bring to a simmer. When the scraps are done, pour them into the 22 qt stockpot (carefully!). Using a large measuring cup or other container, fill the stockpot with enough hot water to make sure all the ingredients are covered.
Whichever method you use, at this point, cover the pan and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook gently for about 10 - 12 hours. I usually do mine overnight, getting up once or twice to check it and make sure everything is going good.
When the stock is done, strain out as much of the solids as you can and dispose of them. Place a large strainer over or inside another large pot (the 16 qt, if you have one). If you don’t have a second large stockpot, use as many large containers as you have to hold the strained stock. Carefully pour the hot stock into the pitcher, and allow the liquids to settle for a couple minutes. The fat should rise to the top and form a clean layer. Using a ladle, carefully skim as much of the fat out of pitcher as you can, placing the fat into the heat-proof container. When you are done removing the fat, pour the hot stock through the strainer into the second pot (or other containers) to catch all the remaining solids. Repeat as needed until the 22 qt pan is empty. Set the fat aside to cool and congeal, then dispose of it. Clean out the 22 qt pan, and pour all the stock back into it, if you do not have a second pot big enough to hold all the stock.
Place the now strained stock back over high heat and bring it to a boil. Continue boiling to reduce this stock by about half.
Now comes the fun part. To ensure the best possible shelf-life of your stock, you need to chill it as fast as possible. Here is the best way to do that.
Plug up your sink so that water will not drain out. Find some small pieces of flat wood to lay in the bottom of the sink (I usually use three 2” long pieces of 1x2), or a cake rack, and place it on the bottom. Carefully place the pot of stock onto the pieces of wood or the rack. Get the soda bottle out of the freezer and stick it straight into the stock. Fill the sink with the ice, then carefully add enough cold water to come up the sides of the pot, without overflowing your sink, or causing the pot to float. Stir this around, and let it chill. Stir it every 10 - 15 minutes. Check the temperature with an instant-read thermometer. When the temperature is down to about 40°F, you can either place the stock in the refrigerator for storage, or, using the ice cube trays, freeze it.
I like to store my stock frozen, in gallon-sized resealable bags. I’ve found that the best way to reconstitute my stock, is to place 2 cubes of frozen into a measuring cup, and add enough hot water to bring the level up to 1 cup. For more stock, just increase this ratio.