Coffee.. how do you take it

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now when I hear of someone drinking gourmet coffee I think of the movie The Bucket List and the coffee that Jack Nicholson drank.

PanchoHambre

I used to have one of these
images

Wow it made a great cup of coffee and looked great doing it... problem is it was not made for coffehaulics... it was great for a few months but the whole thing is plastic and all the seals failed first water/coffee started leaking into the heating mechanism then onto the counter... so disappointing because it was a beautiful contraption.

one of the few things I miss about living with my folks is espresso w/ Sambuca after dinner with them it was ritual but i never do it on my own.

I collect coffee making apparatus I have gangs of em... but I only really use my insulated french press.. I had gone back to the old drip machine but it kept getting deprogrammed and was taking up needed counter space.

my all time favorite is probably the Vietnamese iced coffee where you have an individual drip over your glass which has sweetened condensed milk at the bottom then when its done you pour over ice and stuf... great stuff but my silly individual drip thingys never see use... too much of a pain for at home... great in a restaruant

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
My son loves that Vietnamese coffee too. We have several of those tin things, but like you, they're gathering dust.

PanchoHambre

yeah I got turned onto the stuff in Houston which had these great late night Vietnamese joints miss that stuff... there are some down on Wash ave but I don't get there much. I need to go get some condensed milk and dust those suckers off. I paid a fortune for em from Williams Sonoma ages ago

AllenOK

Ok, call me a blasphemer. I prefer instant. Wally World Arabica. Or Duewe Eggets (sp?), which is made from a refrigerated super-concentrated liquid. Brewed coffee just has to much acid for my system.

I've never tried a French Press. If the brew is less acidic than other brewed coffee's, I might be interested.

I also refuse to support $3/cup coffee.

I usually only drink one mug, when I get up in the morning. If I don't get it, I'll go into caffeine withdrawl around 1 pm or so, and will get a nasty headache.

I usually only drink coffee at night when I'm pulling an all-nighter, like two weeks ago when we went to Michigan for PeppA's Mom's funeral, or those rare instances that I make an all-night catfishing expedition.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Black, or with a little Half-N-Half. I drink coffee throughout the day and I have a great brewing station - a commercial Bunn brewer and a commercial, dual-bin, Bunn grinder. I don't roast my own beans (yet) because I don't know where I would get the green beans. Does anyone else roast their own beans?

The Tourist

Banned
Believe it or not, this nine dollar coffee maker makes the best brew that I have tasted. My guests cannot believe it.

DSC00370.jpg

Ol-blue

Black for me and made in a coffee maker. I have one cup in the morning and one in the evening most times.

FooD

Where's the poll?

I take mine black. No cream, no sugar, no nothing!......the way coffee should be drunk......regardless of type or how it's prepared ......and that includes instant coffee. :p

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Believe it or not, this nine dollar coffee maker makes the best brew that I have tasted. My guests cannot believe it.

DSC00370.jpg
Wait a minute....I've seen that coffee maker before somewhere......I think it was on another cooking forum. (There couldn't possibly be 2 of those coffee makers in the world.)

The Tourist

Banned
Probably from me. I posted this ugly machine once before. But considering that it makes coffee the best way--hot water through coffee once without re-boiling the coffee again--it most likely is just ugly on the outside.

I know it gets the water really hot, just short of a roiling boil.

Wart

Banned
I'll have my coffee two ways, Cream and Sugar or Black.

In the morning I C&S, as the day goes on I'll move to Black.

And I like my coffee strong. Interestingly Wife is from Italy and she says my coffee is too strong. Ok.

Ronjohn

I take my coffee scalding hot, and in massive quantities. Oh, and usually a little bit of cream or 1/2 and 1/2 since we aren't allowed to have Kahlua here at the office

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Now you are talking our language. Maybe being from the Pacific Northwest has "raised our consciousness" but we are a little bit fanatical about coffee. We drink 2 cups in the morning and one in late afternoon. Sometimes the afternoon cup is a latte, and as the weather warms up, it will become an iced latte. I use a drip coffeemaker and have a french press in reserve if we have a power outage (coffee is important to our well-being). We have a pump-driven espresso maker for espresso shots and lattes. We like our coffee dark-roasted, freshly ground, brewed strong, with cream and sugar. If I'm enjoying coffee with dessert, I'll drink it black. Our favorite coffee is grown right here in our state of Nayarit and distributed by a small coop of growers. Only two store here in Bucerias sell it, and I doubt if it can be found anywhere else.

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm an oddball when it comes to coffee. (no comments necessary, mr. ronjohn :nono1: )

i'll drink an espresso after a good italian meal with a little dolce. the bitterness balances the sweetness of the dessert.

but i abhor regular coffee, all thanks to my brother. in order to get me back for sneaking my g.i. joes in his duffel bag when he went off for basic training for viet nam, he breathed morning/coffee breath in my face when he got home. ever since then, when i smell coffee, i smell his breath.
it sure didn't smell like victory. more like napalm.

leolady

I usually only drink coffee at night when I'm pulling an all-nighter, like two weeks ago when we went to Michigan for PeppA's Mom's funeral, or those rare instances that I make an all-night catfishing expedition.

Where have you been all my life? I love to fish for catfish, especially at night but I haven't been for awhile. It is just not safe for a lone woman. :sad::sad:

Back to coffee. I don't drink much because I get the coffee jitters so bad.

I was at a restaurant once where I was served the best decaf coffee! The waitress was vietnamese and I could barely understand her. I must have drunk 8 cups that day. I couldn't sleep at all that night, cause I was tossing and turning, turning and tossing, tossing and a turning all night! :dizzy::dizzy:

That dummy served me regular coffee rather than the decaf I had asked for!:shock:

When I do drink it, it is decaf with sugar and cream.

RNE228

How do you take it?

1st cup of the morning, Mocha with a double shot. Ghiradelli chocolate. Usually fresh ground Starbucks Espresso roast. Had a michine at hoe for 15 years. I hate paying $3+ for a mocha at a coffee house...

2nd cup, at work, just thier premium from the cafeteria, with cream.

At home on the weekend, may make a cup in the press.

Camping, we have a couple of those Coleman drip setups for the adult leaders in our Scout troop. Someone usually brings a good grade coffee, and fresh cream.

Backpacking, I have a little espresson pot.