Lighter Basil Pesto Sauce

Here's a lighter version of Basil pesto sauce. Serve it over whatever you like. I used pasta as an example to calculate the nutritional value.

Lighter Basil Pesto Sauce
Serving Size : 4

1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup fresh basil leaves -- packed
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 ounces spaghetti or pasta of choice -- cooked and drained - optional

Place the broth, basil, garlic and cheese into a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until the mixture is smooth. Place the basil mixture and pasta in a large bowl and toss to coat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 241 Calories; 3g Fat (9.8% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 193mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, it does sound great, CC!

I always have a ton of basil in the summer, but don't always have a ton of pine nuts and parm cheese.

I'll give this a try - thanks!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This does sound great. I only planted 2 basil plants but in that miracle grow garden soil, they are going crazy. I too was wondering what I was going to do with all of that basil. Thanks CC!

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
May sound silly/different. . .but fried chicken wings, tossed in pesto sauce with roasted garlic are a pretty nice alternative to the traditional ol Buffalo wing. Crispy fried calamari tossed in a similar sauce makes things taste like summer.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmm MMMMM! Both sound delicious, Uncle Ralph!

Lee