Rice wine vs Sake

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
When following a recipe that calls for rice wine, is that the same as sake? I can't find rice wine anywhere. :huh: Please advise!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A better substitute for rice wine is pale dry sherry, RM. It's flavor is closer than sake is.

Lee

Johnny West

When following a recipe that calls for rice wine, is that the same as sake? I can't find rice wine anywhere. :huh: Please advise!

Try Total Wine and More or BevMo. They have everything. I have a bottle of sake I'd give you. I'm not fond of the stuff.

Last edited:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Rice wine, also known as mijiu, is the alcoholic beverage made from rice, originated from China.

Sake is a Japanese rice wine made by fermenting rice that has been polished to remove the bran. Unlike wine, in which alcohol (ethanol) is produced by fermenting sugar that is naturally present in grapes, sake is produced by a brewing process more like that of beer, where the starch is converted into sugars, before being converted to alcohol.
- Wiki

Johnny West

Thanks for the info. I never paid to much attention to the brewing process and found your information educational.

Lee, I do like sherry a lot. Out here in the NW it is popular to drizzle sherry on top of clam chowder. I like it for a night cap sometimes.

One of my favorites was Harvey's Shooting Sherry but it was discontinued years ago.