Shermie

Site Supporter
Spaghetti Bolognaise
Ingredients;

1 cup each chopped;

Onions. Celery, Green pepper & carrots.

5 cloves garlic, chopped..

3 T oil.

1/2 stick butter (reserving half of it).

1/2lb ground beef.

1/2lb ground pork.

1/2lb ground veal.

1 meium can stewed tomatoes.

3 medium cans tomato puree.

2 medium cans tomato paste.

1/4 cup sugar.

1 cup water.

2 tsp mustard.

3/4 cup Chabali or Burgundy wine.

1tsp each - Dried herbs;

Oregano. Basil, Parsley & Thyme.

2 bay leaves.

3/4 tsp ground black pepper.

1 tsp salt.

1 tsp seasoned salt.

1/2 tsp Cajiun seasoning or chyanne red pepper.

3/4 cup grated or shredded parm cheese.

1/2lbs spaghetti.

Large pot of boiling salted water.

1 - 1-1/2 cups milik half & half or heavy cream.

Directions;

In 5-qt Dutch Oven, over medium-high heat, heat oil and butter just until hot.
Add weggie mixture and chopped garlic. Mix thorougly to coat with oil / butter. Cover and let mixture sweat as it cooks for about 12 minutes.

Add all three ground meats. Stir and scramble until brown. Add tomatoe products, sugar, water and wine. Add mustard, dried herbs, seasonings, bay leaf and grated cheese. Stir mixture until well blended. Add reserved half of butter.

Bring mixture to a gentle simmer. Maintain that low simmer and cook sauce for at least 3 to 4 hours. Do NOT cook above the gentle simmer, or sauce will start to stick & burn at the bottom of pot!!

Meanwhile, add speghetti to boiling salted water. Keep spaghetti separated by constant stirring until all of it is submerged completely in the hot water. Boil to desired tenderness. Drain in a colander. Does NOT rinse pasta. Sauce has to stick to it.

When sauce is done, add milk or cream to it. This has to be the last liquid added, to keep milk from curdling or breaking. Adjust seasonings if needed or desired.

In large bowl or pot, combine both the spaghetti and meat sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!!

Make about 12 servings.
smile.gif

VARIATIONS;

If desired, you can make seasoned meatball in place of the ground meat, or add Italian sausage to the sauce, or both.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 388

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Sherm - I could just swan dive into that vat of pasta and sauce!

The recipe has a few things that are unusual - like mustard, for example. Was it dry or prepared?

And the Cajun seasoning is an interesting twist, too!

Did you have a big crowd to help you with all that?

Thanks for posting!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Wow, Sherm - I could just swan dive into that vat of pasta and sauce!

The recipe has a few things that are unusual - like mustard, for example. Was it dry or prepared?

And the Cajun seasoning is an interesting twist, too!

Did you have a big crowd to help you with all that?

Thanks for posting!

Lee

Awww, thanx, and you welcome also!!!!

Actually it was both dry and regular mustad added to it.

The Cajun seasoning was added sparingly, just to provide a bit of a kick in the background.

I made it mainly to take to a friend's house down the street. She had company, and they DEVOURED it!!!!!!

Had some left that I've eaten yesterday. Had some sauce left still, so I boiled another pound of spaghetti and added it to the sause, to make a smaller pot of spaghetti and it keeps me from having to cook supper again tonight! Wow!! A work saver!! :bbq: :bonk:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmm that looks delicious. :clap: :clap: :clap: I love the Cajun touch. :D

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanx, Doc!!! It DOES!!

Hope that some of you will try it soon!! Let me know how it comes out if you do. :readytoeat:

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Spaghetti Bolognaise
Ingredients;

1 cup each chopped;

Onions. Celery, Green pepper & carrots.

5 cloves garlic, chopped..

3 T oil.

1/2 stick butter (reserving half of it).

1/2lb ground beef.

1/2lb ground pork.

1/2lb ground veal.

1 meium can stewed tomatoes.

3 medium cans tomato puree.

2 medium cans tomato paste.

1/4 cup sugar.

1 cup water.

2 tsp mustard.

3/4 cup Chabali or Burgundy wine.

1tsp each - Dried herbs;

Oregano. Basil, Parsley & Thyme.

2 bay leaves.

3/4 tsp ground black pepper.

1 tsp salt.

1 tsp seasoned salt.

1/2 tsp Cajiun seasoning or chyanne red pepper.

3/4 cup grated or shredded parm cheese.

1/2lbs spaghetti.

Large pot of boiling salted water.

1 - 1-1/2 cups milik half & half or heavy cream.

Directions;

In 5-qt Dutch Oven, over medium-high heat, heat oil and butter just until hot.
Add weggie mixture and chopped garlic. Mix thorougly to coat with oil / butter. Cover and let mixture sweat as it cooks for about 12 minutes.

Add all three ground meats. Stir and scramble until brown. Add tomatoe products, sugar, water and wine. Add mustard, dried herbs, seasonings, bay leaf and grated cheese. Stir mixture until well blended. Add reserved half of butter.

Bring mixture to a gentle simmer. Maintain that low simmer and cook sauce for at least 3 to 4 hours. Do NOT cook above the gentle simmer, or sauce will start to stick & burn at the bottom of pot!!

Meanwhile, add speghetti to boiling salted water. Keep spaghetti separated by constant stirring until all of it is submerged completely in the hot water. Boil to desired tenderness. Drain in a colander. Does NOT rinse pasta. Sauce has to stick to it.

When sauce is done, add milk or cream to it. This has to be the last liquid added, to keep milk from curdling or breaking. Adjust seasonings if needed or desired.

In large bowl or pot, combine both the spaghetti and meat sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!!

Make about 12 servings.
smile.gif

VARIATIONS;

If desired, you can make seasoned meatball in place of the ground meat, or add Italian sausage to the sauce, or both.

attachment.php

Looks and sounds great! :corn:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I tried it last night Sherman and it was excellent. I left out the sugar though because I use San Marzano Tomatoes and paste which are sweet with not much acid so no bitterness. I also used the Italian sausage instead of the veal with some freshly ground beef. I used half and half also as didn't have the milk or heavy cream on hand.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Puree has about the same texture as Tomato juice. Paste is real thick as the name implies a paste.

OK so over here we would call what you call puree - pasata (sieved tomatoes) and what you call paste, we call puree.

That helps make sense of the recipe.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I tried it last night Sherman and it was excellent. I left out the sugar though because I use San Marzano Tomatoes and paste which are sweet with not much acid so no bitterness. I also used the Italian sausage instead of the veal with some freshly ground beef. I used half and half also as didn't have the milk or heavy cream on hand.

Thanx!

I'm so glad that you tried it and enjoyed it, Joec!!!! Any more takers? :blob_blue:

Shermie

Site Supporter
As a kid, I've ALWAYS loved spaghetti!!! It was then, is now and it always WILL be one of my favorite dishes!!! :weber:

Embryodad

As a kid, I've ALWAYS loved spaghetti!!! It was then, is now and it always WILL be one of my favorite dishes!!! :weber:
Looks and sounds good Sherman! I'll have to try it. Just one Question on the Paste....2 medium cans?? The 7 oz. or the 15 oZ, cans??
We get the hunts or contadina paste in those small cans. Haaa The one that fits inside the other cans so as not to take up too much space in the recyclables! LOL

BTW: My motto is,"Spaghetti Every Day; Just a Different Way!"