Dirty Rice

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]½ pound of bulk sausage[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]½ pound of chicken livers, rinsed and trimmed[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]2 tablespoons bacon grease
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1 onion, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]3 cloves of garlic, minced[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1 stalk of celery, finely chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]½ green bell pepper, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]2 cups of uncooked white rice[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]4 cups of chicken broth[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1 teaspoon salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]½ teaspoon black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Pulse the livers in a food processor until finely chopped. Set aside.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Brown the sausage. Add the bacon grease, onion, garlic, bell pepper, and celery.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif] Cook until the vegetables are tender. Add the chicken livers and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Add the rice, chicken broth, salt, black pepper, Creole Seasoning and cayenne pepper. Stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.[/FONT]​

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
ummmmmmmmmmm i HATE liver. but this looks so good. can i by any chance leave the liver out?

Constance

It is traditional to add the chicken livers, but make the dish your own. You might like to use mushrooms in it, instead.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love dirty rice. But, like peeps, I'd leave out the liver. :hide:
Thanks Mama!!!!!!!!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You can certainly leave the liver out and like Rob said double the sausage.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
thank you mama. i know the "dirty" is in part the liver and it's flavor but .............

thank you for the recipe.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Funny thing is liver makes me gag most of the time with two exceptions Dirty Rice and Boudin (Louisiana rice and pork sausage). I've found both the same as if you leave the liver out it just doesn't seem to taste as good as it should. I might add that I also love both and have saved the recipe to try next time. I been using another recipe for years but this one sounds a little better to me so thanks Mama.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You're welcome! I guess if you leave out the liver, you can call it "Not so dirty rice" :lol: I know...I know...bad joke....:blush:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Funny thing is liver makes me gag most of the time with two exceptions Dirty Rice and Boudin (Louisiana rice and pork sausage). I've found both the same as if you leave the liver out it just doesn't seem to taste as good as it should. I might add that I also love both and have saved the recipe to try next time. I been using another recipe for years but this one sounds a little better to me so thanks Mama.
I'm glad you posted that Joe. And I feel bad to talk about modifying mama's recipe without ever trying it. Plus, my wife loves liver. So, I will try it with liver first, and then decide from there which way to cook it from there on out. Just that littlt bit all cut up small should not be an issue. I can handle that.
Thanks Mama!!!!!!!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad you posted that Joe. And I feel bad to talk about modifying mama's recipe without ever trying it. Plus, my wife loves liver. So, I will try it with liver first, and then decide from there which way to cook it from there on out. Just that littlt bit all cut up small should not be an issue. I can handle that.
Thanks Mama!!!!!!!!

I tried making boudin which uses 1 lb or pork liver to 5 lbs of pork butt along with a lot of other ingredients. This is boiled for hours until it breaks down then gets ground in a meat grinder and mixed with cooked rice and stuffed into sausage casing. I tried for ever to make it without the liver but it always seemed lacking in taste and I come to realize the taste was the liver which made it right. Dirty rice is very close to the same ingredients just not the bulk involved. Once it is mixed with the other stuff I don't think you get a strong liver taste but the little you do get puts it over the top in taste at least to me.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I agree Joe. Just make sure you pulse it good in the food processor so you don't get any chunks of liver to bite into.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I agree Joe. Just make sure you pulse it good in the food processor so you don't get any chunks of liver to bite into.

I just got a new one too Mama the Cuisinart DLC-10S Pro Classic 7 cup which is a monster for this stuff. I didn't need the 11 cup for just my wife and I so this does the trick. I have a smaller 1 cup that works with my blender so I have it all covered.

K

Kimchee

Thank you for this recipe, and goodbye Zatarain's box! Woo hooo!
I love chicken livers! Might even use some gizzards!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Funny thing is to me there are not enough onions on the planet to make liver taste good with two exceptions, dirty rice and boudin. Both of which have liver (pork and chicken) and I love.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I forgot to post the picture, so here it is:

Attachments

• dirtyrice.jpg
    dirtyrice.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 100

buckytom

Grill Master
wow, that looks good, mama! :applause:

i expected to see something different. darker brown with less chunky meat. that looks really hearty.

being a liver lover, i think i'd like to keep it chunkier. if i get a chance to make this, i'll probably use turkey sausage to try to get dw to eat it. i won't even mention the liver.

oh, btw, dw just brought home a box of zatarain's rice mix, and the sodium was ridiculous. around 900mg, or around 40% usrda of sodium in one serving (cup) of rice!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks BT! I think you will find that this recipe is much better than the box stuff. As for the amount of sodium in it....I have no idea....