Learning how to Dehydrate

Nica

Here are a few more pictures of potatoes and yellow squash I'm getting ready to dehydrate. I've found out that (I'm new at this) by blanching the potatoes before dehydrating, they don't loose their color after drying.

I started out just dehydrating the squash without blanching, but now I do blanch some of it and just freeze it. What I don't blanch I just put in my makeshift dehydrator and then bag it when it's 100% dry. I still put these bags in the freezer.

OBTW, the cheap wine keeps the flies off the squash too!

I'm going to make my first attempt at pickling some of the cucumbers. We'll see how that goes. We have given a bunch away, but I've gotta do something, their running out our ears.

My make shift dehydrater has gone thru a couple modifications. I'll get some pictures and post later.

Boy do I love to garden!

Attachments

• Drying white potatoes (600 x 399).jpg
    Drying white potatoes (600 x 399).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 273
  • Sliced squash (600 x 399).jpg
    Sliced squash (600 x 399).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Ready to be blanched (600 x 399).jpg
    Ready to be blanched (600 x 399).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 436
  • Washed Cucumbers(640 x 480).jpg
    Washed Cucumbers(640 x 480).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 104

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very interesting Nica. I look forward to more on this as you work through the process. :thumb:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Do you pick that from your garden? has to be more like a farm. Those are a lot of vegies and they are beautiful too.

Nica

My attempt at building a dehydrater

Very interesting Nica. I look forward to more on this as you work through the process. :thumb:

This started out as just 4 stainless shelves that I had. I made the uprights from some 3/4" alum tubing with 1/4" bolts spaced to hold the shelves at an even distance from each other. I had 4 casters all the same size and they fit up inside the alum tubing. It was now rollable.

This worked pretty well with no power and just using the heat generated on the sun porch. We don't use our sun porch much in the summer, so I closed some of the windows to get it even hotter, and put the rack in there.

I used cheesecloth on the shelves to keep slices from falling thru, and a layer on top for flies. OK so now I know you can dehydrate with just heat.

I decided to speed up the drying time with a fan. I cut some smaller dia alum tubing and stuck them in side the uprights, on top. Then I bent some 5/16" round, 3" at a 90 on each end to make 'rails' on both sides of the top. This raised it so I didn't have to use the top shelf to hold the fan. I used some old refrigerator shelves that I placed on top of the rails, one at each end, with a void in the center. I placed a small 3 speed fan on top, centered between the refrig shelves.

Next came the black plastic. I save the protective covers that come on a pallet of wood pellets. I took one of these and put it on top of the rack, cut a hole in it to go around the fan, and hastily duck taped it in place.

Next I made some smaller shelves to actually put the slices of vegetable on. Now I can load them in the kitchen and place them on one of the 4 shelves. Now I don't have to load or unload in the heat.

This works pretty good. Not pretty, but I will refine it next spring.

All suggestions for improvement are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Nica

More modifications to my dehydrator

Now that I know the dehydrator will work in a passive mode, I decided to go ahead and up grade it a little.

Removed all the black plastic.....

Installed (bailing wire) a $2.00, 1350 watt heater that I got at the Hospice thrift shop. I had to take the tip over safety out so it would work on it's side....It looks low but it's about 10" from the floor, and the floor did not get warm...

Covered the frame with a reinforced foil for fire proofing....

Installed a temp gauge.....

Made some trays out of some wood and plastic rabbit fencing to fit on the shelves......

Filled three of the trays with six avg size zucchini, sliced about 3/16" thick.....(used slicer/dicier...not the knife)

Sliced up one tomato for testing....

Took several sneak peeks......

At 135F degrees it took about 7 hours to totally dehydrate the squash and tomato....

Zucchini and the tomato broke up like potato chips after being dehydrated.....

These are the six zucchini after being dehydrated.......

WOW...this is fun!

Attachments

• heater (600 x 399).jpg
    heater (600 x 399).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Foil cover(600 x 399).jpg
    Foil cover(600 x 399).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 276
  • Temp gauge(600 x 399).jpg
    Temp gauge(600 x 399).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 442
  • 1st tray filled (600 x 399).jpg
    1st tray filled (600 x 399).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • Sneak peak (600 x 400).jpg
    Sneak peak (600 x 400).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 705
  • Dried zucchini  (600 x 399).jpg
    Dried zucchini (600 x 399).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 764
Last edited:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Those Zucchini look like they would make great potato chips!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Yum!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t: Man you really have a great device there! Im going to tell my friends. I think quite a few would be interested in what you have!

How much money do you have invested in your dehydrater?

Nica

Yum!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t: Man you really have a great device there! Im going to tell my friends. I think quite a few would be interested in what you have!

How much money do you have invested in your dehydrater?

So far...$2.00 for the heater............I had most of the other stuff in my shed. I'm a scrounger. If I find something that may have a use down the road, I usually try to hang on to it.