Pressure cooker issue I have

thegrindre

Hi all,
As some of you may know, I am considering purchasing a small 2QT pressure. It'll be my first so I've done a little surfing around the net to try to find the How's and What-For's about these things.
Recipes are one item I'm interested in and I've found about 80% of all recipes are for beef. About 19% are for chicken and the remaining 1% is for everything else.
First off, I don't eat cow! I eat pig and haven't found but a handful of pork recipes.
Are you not supposed to pressure cook pork for some reason???
Where's all the pork recipes???

Thank you,

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
2 qt is very small - if you've got some other pans, check out the size as that small may be less than useful.

the whole point of "pressure cookers" is to raise the temperature of "wet cooking" higher than 212'F (boiling water) - high temp = faster cooking time.

which is to say, it's a time short-cut. most anything you see done in a pressure cooker can be done in a slow cooker however comma "not so fast"

I'd guesstimate they're are not a lot of pork dishes that call for boiling / braising pork as a "large" chunk aka "roast" - most are thinner cuts that cook/braise quickly enough without the higher temps.

the chicken dishes are mostly a "fast" approach to (broadly generalized) "stewed" chicken.

exception: pressure deep frying chicken - ala KFC - note that most "standard" pressure cookers are not intended for and should not be used for deep frying in oil.

one can speculate whether "the melding of flavors" is "as good" when done fast vs. done slow . . .

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Hi all,
As some of you may know, I am considering purchasing a small 2QT pressure. It'll be my first so I've done a little surfing around the net to try to find the How's and What-For's about these things.
Recipes are one item I'm interested in and I've found about 80% of all recipes are for beef. About 19% are for chicken and the remaining 1% is for everything else.
First off, I don't eat cow! I eat pig and haven't found but a handful of pork recipes.
Are you not supposed to pressure cook pork for some reason???
Where's all the pork recipes???

Thank you,

Pork, frozen not advisable
Pork, ham shank, 2 lb (900 g) cook 20 to 25 minutes on High
Pork, ham, pieces cook 20 to 25 minutes on High
Pork, hocks, smoked (cover completely w/liquid) cook 40 to 50 minutes on High
Pork, ribs, 2 lb (900 g) cook 15 minutes on High
Pork, roast cook 40 to 45 minutes on High

This site is where I got this info and it has a lot of other info >>>

http://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/cooking_times_pressure_cooker.php#meat_and_poultry

Here is another site with recipes >>>

http://missvickie.com/

Here is a cooking time chart which includes Ham and Pork times >>>

http://missvickie.com/howto/times/timingframe.html

Hope this helps.

Shermie

Site Supporter
2 qt is very small - if you've got some other pans, check out the size as that small may be less than useful.

the whole point of "pressure cookers" is to raise the temperature of "wet cooking" higher than 212'F (boiling water) - high temp = faster cooking time.

which is to say, it's a time short-cut. most anything you see done in a pressure cooker can be done in a slow cooker however comma "not so fast"

I'd guesstimate they're are not a lot of pork dishes that call for boiling / braising pork as a "large" chunk aka "roast" - most are thinner cuts that cook/braise quickly enough without the higher temps.

the chicken dishes are mostly a "fast" approach to (broadly generalized) "stewed" chicken.

exception: pressure deep frying chicken - ala KFC - note that most "standard" pressure cookers are not intended for and should not be used for deep frying in oil.

one can speculate whether "the melding of flavors" is "as good" when done fast vs. done slow . . .

I haven't seen pressure cookers that small. The smallest I've seen then is 4 qts.

But in this case, I think that he'd be better off getting a 6-qt unit just for the sake of having the extra room inside the cooker, in case he wants to do a pot roast with it some day.

My 1st & 2nd ones were 4 qts. But I wanted a larger one just for the sake of haviing the extra room for things like a pot roast. :bbq3:

thegrindre

Many many thanks guys.

Sherm, I don't eat cow. I'll never cook a pot roast for me or anyone else. Matter of fact, I've never cooked one. I only cook for one person and that's me. I eat pork, chicken and 'fish' and one of these small pressure cookers seems to be far better then any microwave.
:)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Many many thanks guys.

Sherm, I don't eat cow. I'll never cook a pot roast for me or anyone else. Matter of fact, I've never cooked one. I only cook for one person and that's me. I eat pork, chicken and 'fish' and one of these small pressure cookers seems to be far better then any microwave.
:)
I was looking at a 2 qt awhile ago. It looked like it would be perfect for small meals for 4 people with no leftovers. LOL

Shermie

Site Supporter
I was looking at a 2 qt awhile ago. It looked like it would be perfect for small meals for 4 people with no leftovers. LOL

Lilbopeep, do you have a link to one? I'm curious and would like to see what it looks like.

It's not that I don't believe you. I do. Nor is it that I want one. I just never saw one before. :bonk:

thegrindre

Go to deni.com then click on Pressure Cookers. It's the one I've been talking about in this thread and my, Are you familiar with Deni?, thread,

Shermie

Site Supporter
Go to deni.com then click on Pressure Cookers. It's the one I've been talking about in this thread and my, Are you familiar with Deni?, thread,

That's a cute li'l electric pressure cooker!! I might get THAT one instead!!

Yeah, I'm familiar with Deni products, though I've never owned any of them.

I was always intrigued and iterested in getting THIS product (pictured below) though;

The Deni Rotisserie!! it looks somewhat more like an electric POT than a rotisserie!! But it looks like it'll do the jobe nicely on roasting meats!!!

I've seen it all over the Web, easpecially at Amazon. com, Chefscatlog.com and Cooking.com. :bbq3:

Attachments

• Deni Rotisserie..jpg
    Deni Rotisserie..jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 143

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Deni 9770 Electric Pressure Cooker, 2 Quart

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040XHKR4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER[/ame]

This one is not electric >>> Prestige Deluxe Stainless Steel Mini Handi Pressure Cooker, 3.3-Liter

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XCNHGG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER[/ame]

Here's an even smaller one >>> Prestige Deluxe Stainless Steel Baby Handi Pressure Cooker, 2-Liter

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Prestige-Deluxe-Stainless-Pressure-2-Liter/dp/B004RLWLFK/ref=pd_sim_k_1[/ame]

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
That's a cute li'l electric pressure cooker!! I might get THAT one instead!!

Yeah, I'm familiar with Deni products, though I've never owned any of them.

I was always intrigued and iterested in getting THIS product (pictured below) though;

The Deni Rotisserie!! it looks somewhat more like an electric POT than a rotisserie!! But it looks like it'll do the jobe nicely on roasting meats!!!

I've seen it all over the Web, easpecially at Amazon. com, Chefscatlog.com and Cooking.com. :bbq3:
I always wanted a rotis.

thegrindre

I bought a large Hamilton Beach toaster over with a rotisserie in it. This allows me two functions with one machine. An oven and a rotisserie.

Shermie

Site Supporter
My Kenmore microvave oven is like that, but with a toaster built into it on the right.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Deni 9770 Electric Pressure Cooker, 2 Quart

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040XHKR4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This one is not electric >>> Prestige Deluxe Stainless Steel Mini Handi Pressure Cooker, 3.3-Liter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XCNHGG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here's an even smaller one >>> Prestige Deluxe Stainless Steel Baby Handi Pressure Cooker, 2-Liter

http://www.amazon.com/Prestige-Deluxe-Stainless-Pressure-2-Liter/dp/B004RLWLFK/ref=pd_sim_k_1

Guess you're right!! Thanx!

There ARE 2-qt pressure cookers availible. Would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes!! :clap:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Geez......thanks Shermie......now I want that rotisserie :lol:

Hah!!!

I somehow KNEW that would get ya!!
I have a George Jr. Rotisserie. It still works great, but the heat deflector inside has rusted and the rust is hard to remove. Gonna have to get some Zud. :weber:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Cuisinart makes two; Vertical & horizontal. Mine is the George Jr. Rotisserie on the bottom. :applause:

Attachments

• cuisinart-vertical-rotisserie-oven-Hype-Geek-00.jpg
    cuisinart-vertical-rotisserie-oven-Hype-Geek-00.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Cuisinart Horizontal Rotisserie..jpg
    Cuisinart Horizontal Rotisserie..jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 129
  • george-foreman-gr82b-george-jr-rotisserie-image-1.jpg
    george-foreman-gr82b-george-jr-rotisserie-image-1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 127
  • George Jr. Rotisserie - Right side..jpg
    George Jr. Rotisserie - Right side..jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I am still wondering,, If i bought a big enough cooker that i can use it for canning, would there be a downside for small meals.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Wrong thread Andy :lol:. I answered it in the "Cuisinart Pressure Cooker" thread:

It would really depend upon what you want to can.

If you wanted to can quarts, you would need a 16-18 quart pressure canner which would be way to big for small meals.

If you wanted to can high acid foods, you would really need one with a pressure gauge to be on the safe side.

If you wanted to can pint or half pint jars that were low acid, a regular 6-8 quart should work fine.

Leni

I bought mine at Home Depot. It's in the paint department. Buy a good pair of gloves while you're at it.