Book Review - Lady Chatterley's Lover

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
For many years the last page in Field and Stream magazine was inhabited by Ed Zern and his "Exit Laughing" monthly column.

Although written many years ago, Lady Chatterley's Lover has just been
reissued by the Grove Press, and this pictorial account of the
day-to-day life of an English gamekeeper is full of considerable
interest to outdoor minded readers, as it contains many passages on
pheasant-raising, the apprehending of poachers, ways to control vermin,
and other chores and duties of the professional gamekeeper.

Unfortunately, one is obliged to wade through many pages of extraneous
material in order to discover and savour those sidelights on the
management of a midland shooting estate, and in this reviewer's opinion
the book cannot take the place of J. R. Miller's "Practical
Gamekeeping."

-- Ed Zern, "Field and Stream" (Nov. 1959)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Ed explained it so well. This is why my wife has no worries when I go off on fishing trips with my friends. Extraneous crappola just gets in the way of fishing, tying flies, eating and partaking of strong drink with my friends who do not need to be impressed in any fashion.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I posted this on another forum this morning. One of the members said when he was a kid he enjoyed the trip to the barber shop so he could read field and Stream. I always visited the Library on the way home from school to read their copy.

chowhound

For me it was in the school library, Jim. I can't remember if it was elemetary school or early junior high. I'm thinking somewhere around 6th grade. F & S and Outdoor Life. I'd pull out a couple old issues and read them cover to cover. They probaby don't allow those magazines in school anymore.....

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
For me it was in the school library, Jim. I can't remember if it was elemetary school or early junior high. I'm thinking somewhere around 6th grade. F & S and Outdoor Life. I'd pull out a couple old issues and read them cover to cover. They probaby don't allow those magazines in school anymore.....

I think they are allowed in Pennsylvania schools.It was approved by the PA PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)