I remember we have a knife expert here............

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
...but I don't remember who................

Dan sent me this from California for Christmas..............

and I'm not sure what I've got............... the only English words are "For Professional Use", and "Made in Japan"..................

001-1.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm sure I'm not the expert you were speaking of but I can tell you that I'm pretty sure that black part is called the handle and where you take ahold with your hand. The other shiny end will have one side much sharper than the other. You use that side to cut.
Hope that helps. :hide: JK :poke: :yankchain: :yum:

QuirkyCookery

I'm sure I'm not the expert you were speaking of but I can tell you that I'm pretty sure that black part is called the handle and where you take ahold with your hand. The other shiny end will have one side much sharper than the other. You use that side to cut.
Hope that helps. :hide: JK :poke: :yankchain: :yum:

Lmao!

And sorry, I don't know what kind of knife it is.

LETHAL GTS

I wish I could see the pic.
Unless you upload it to this site some of us can't see the pic.
Our boss has all kinds of blocks on our computers here at work.
Maybe that's so we work and don't spend too much time here.
Naaa, that can't be it :yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It looks like a Tojiro DP paring knife to me, though I can't be sure due to not seeing how the handle ends or make out the markings on the blade. Tojiro are excellent knives if it is though and I have several myself. The box also looks similar to some of the Tojiro boxes but I can't be sure as many different makers often use the same box setup.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
it's too big for paring......... it's as long as my Chef's knife, only thinner.

that's the LARGE burner it's sitting over..............

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry a typo on my part as I was thinking petty not paring. If it is 120 to 150 mm in length then it is a petty (not paring) or if 210mm to huge it is then a Sujihiki (carving knife). Petty knifes are great for utility uses from cutting fruit to some butchering and everything in between.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Then I would call it a Sujihiki or slicing knife. I have a few of them ranging from 240mm to 300 mm. I've actually seen them also used for a chef's knife in the 240 range especially in a place like the Japanese restaurants that they prepare your food in front of you with a show. Either way a petty or Sujihiki they at that length could do pretty much anything you want it too. Now you just need to learn to sharpen it if you don't know already.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
just measured it...... the business edge is 212 mm

Most Japanese handles measure from about 4 3/4 to 5 1/2 inches long. The handle on the Photobucket picture appears to be roughly 80% as long as the cutting edge which you state as being 212mm. This would make the handle 6 2/3 inches long which is way above the norm. Are you sure about the 212mm measurement?

The shape of the blade is Petty. It is too short to be a Sujihiki and too thin to be a Gyuto.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes that helps a lot and pins it down. It is a Tojiro DP Petty knife and a very good knife I might add. I have 5 knives from the Tojiro line a 270mm DP Sujihiki, 240mm PS gyuto, 165mm Summagasi (damascus clad) Nakiri. 210mm DP Western Daba, and a 90mm DP Sheeps foot paring. All are really good cutters.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
THX, Joe................. now, if only I don't ruin it when I have to put it to the steel........

Sharpening is something I've never been able to master............ I even own four or five different sharpening tools, and have managed to ruin a knife or two on every one of them............

joec

Gold Site Supporter
THX, Joe................. now, if only I don't ruin it when I have to put it to the steel........

Sharpening is something I've never been able to master............ I even own four or five different sharpening tools, and have managed to ruin a knife or two on every one of them............

Sharpening is a learned skill, I know I had to learn it myself. All steel will do is straighten the blade but won't sharpen it. You won't get much edge roll on a Japanese knive as the are made much harder to hold a finer edge.

There are several really good videos on sharpening using water stones. It really isn't that hard if you go slow to start and hold the knife properly. It took me a couple of hours to get the method down. Now I recommend starting with a knife that is cheap when learning so if you screw it up no big lose. I like the old hickory knives for this as they are dirt cheap, available in many hardware stores and decent steel also. I actually use their fillet knife a lot when butchering meats.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
THX, Joe............googling for those how-to videos

There used to be a couple by C_Dawg who can really put an edge on a knife. There also might be some by Dave Martell or Carter all of these guys are great sharpeners and Dave Martell I send my problem knives to for sharpening myself. I have a couple that just can't be sharpened by me due mostly to strange shapes and non are kitchen cutlery but display combat pieces or hunting knives.

Dave has 3 on youtube this is the first and will lead you to the rest.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezIEKGk9T0[/ame]

Here are a some C_Dawg or Curtis Chung videos.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duwt8oMZRaA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTxFtK4shVY[/ame]

Here is some by Murray Carter with more listed on the pages
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5stV_1kID-U[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4--HIDogrc8[/ame] Using sand paper method instead of stones.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Get that Tojiro sharp and you're gonna love it, LT. :)

Here's a comparison of the three most basic Japanese knives: Top to bottom, 270mm Sujihiki, 240mm Gyuto, 150mm Petty. All are a joy to use.

Attachments

• J Knives.jpg
    J Knives.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 215

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I've purchased 4 DP's over the past year and all four arrived extremely sharp. No further sharpening necessary.

An alternative to learning to sharpen and acquiring the equipment is to send the knives out for sharpening. The knives I use everyday require resharpening every year or so, and it not worth the trouble for me. Chef's Knives to Go has some very good sharpeners on board, and you can pick your own from the list. I use Rob Babcock, but know nothing of the others.

IMO, the DP knives are about as good as it gets for the price. Overall I have been impressed.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Rob has gone pro? Congratulations to him. I hadn't been on the CKTG site for awhile or any of the knife forums either. I'm falling behind.

Guys like Rob, JoeC, and me wouldn't normally let anyone else touch our edges. Once you get the bug you'll find it's not overly difficult to sharpen if you begin slowly and concentrate on holding the angle.

I should update these pix as I've acquired some finishing stones and additional stropping gear since these were taken.

100_0824.jpg

100_0825.jpg

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
That display of equipment is why I do not sharpen my own knives. I know myself well enough to know that I would be there in a few. Better for me to send them to you guys.

I think that CKTG just started the sharpening segment of their business. The first I knew of it was when Mark began his own line of knives. He offered the service in relation to those knives. I don't think that Rob is a pro in the full time sense of the word, but he has been sharpening my knives when they need it, which is not often.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
bigjim -

oh, one does not have to go quite so overboard.

imho, there are folks who have knives to use them, and folks who have knives just for sharpening.

after a long time of free-hand sharpening I opted to get an EdgePro - primarily to restore a known and accurate bevel. it works great _but_ manually re-establishing a proper angle/bevel on a knife that is not regularly sharpened with such a device is not a 5 minute task. bit tedious, actually - but I do notice a great deal of improvement so I'm slowly working through my set.

the EdgePro is available for us minimalists - here's my "gear" set out for a thorough drying:

Attachments

• EdgePro.jpg
    EdgePro.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 186

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
bigjim -

oh, one does not have to go quite so overboard.

imho, there are folks who have knives to use them, and folks who have knives just for sharpening.

after a long time of free-hand sharpening I opted to get an EdgePro - primarily to restore a known and accurate bevel. it works great _but_ manually re-establishing a proper angle/bevel on a knife that is not regularly sharpened with such a device is not a 5 minute task. bit tedious, actually - but I do notice a great deal of improvement so I'm slowly working through my set.

the EdgePro is available for us minimalists - here's my "gear" set out for a thorough drying:
I understand what you are saying, but I know me. I would end up with the whole nine yards and have a new hobby.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I know a bit about sharpening but had to learn it too. Here is what my kit looks like when I started building it. I've since added Shapton Glass stones as well as some other items, but the current list (picture is old and I need to redo it).
Dry- Fine/Pure Chromium Oxide - .5 Micron/60,000 Grit 4 Oz.
Semi Liquid - 90% Chromium Oxide - .5 Micron/60,000 Grit 4 Oz.
Diamond Spray - 12 carat - 0.25 microns (4oz)
Diamond Spray - 10 carat - 0.25 micron - (2oz)
11"X3" Flatbed Hone
11"X3"X1/4" Mag. Back Glass Plate
Super Grip
Smooth Natural Leather Mag Backed (2)
HA Red Treated Leather Mag Backed (2)
Scrubbed Bull Leather Pad (2)
Hard Felt Pad (2)
Full Grain Horse Leather Pad (2)
Plain SC Paper from 320G to 2500G - 18 sheets
Norton Flattening Stone For Waterstones 9x3x.75
Norton Synthetic Nagura Stone
Naniwa 10K Super Stone
AcuAngle® Angle Level
DMT Dia-Sharp D8XX w/ Stone Holder
Shapton Glass Stones 500/1K/2K/4K/8K
Belomo Loop 10x Triplet and Lanyard
A custom built angle box
Ken's Gizmo
HandAmerican's borosilicate glass: honing rod
The Goop is used to clean the stropping leather.

Attachments

• Sharpening Stuff.jpg
    Sharpening Stuff.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 206