Chiles Rellenos

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I love this woman's tutorial and recipe for these.
Wow!
More here

Chiles Rellenos

6 large Anaheim chilis (or 6 canned Anaheim or California chilis)
½ lb Jack or other mild cheese (I use goat jack or goat cheddar)
3 eggs, separated
flour (I use gluten free)
vegetable oil for cooking​

If using fresh chilis, roast WHOLE chilis, stems on. I do this over my gas stove, using tongs and charring the outside of the chili.

If you don’t have gas, you can oven roast them. (Lay them on a cookie sheet close to the broiler and cook until charred, turning to char all sides) A third way is to use an outside bar-b-q. After they are roasted, put them in a brown paper bag and close it up, letting them steam in there for 10 minutes.

Peel off the blistered skin (this is easier under running water). Make a slit near the stem and carefully, trying not to split the chili, remove the seeds. (I fill them with water and the seeds float to the top, making them easy to remove).

OR……use canned chilies and wash off the brine, drying them afterwards with a paper towel. Fill chilis with a chunk of cheese:

(I cut the cheese in triangular wedges so they fit nicely inside the tapered chilis.)

Then dust stuffed peppers with flour:

Guts

Sass
I buy the cleaned caned kind of chilies, I looked at the tutorial and recipe one thing I would do is use more oil when cooking these. ¼" isn't enough oil IMHO they could be cooked it a deep fryer too.

Phiddlechik

Personally, I like a crispier relleno, whereas in lots of restaurants ("authentic" ones), it is more like these, a softer, "eggier" version.
Love them.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I adore them! But they are a PITA to make!

Best ordered at a restaurant, lol!

Lee

Paymaster

I love those things and make the at home all the time. I do pretty much the way you show,batter mine with pancake batter and deep fry. Yours look great!