Windows XP end of support discussion

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>do not stay with XP

somewhere I read that an estimated 50% of all computers on the planet are currently / still using XP.

I would not be surprised if MicroSoft 'extend' updates/etc. at the 12th hour.....

Win7 demands better hardware than XP and Vista and Win8 beyond that - so the low end machines can't realistically upgrade the OS.

there's so many XP machines on the "doomed list" I've also seen rumors the antivirus people are creating totally new "envelopes" that can protect XP with no further MS support. one veddy interesting rumor is a Unix operating system running virtual XP - all preconfigured, etc., load & go.

it's going to be interesting, to say the least.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Really good points.

I went to Windows update yesterday on an XP machine and got a banner saying that XP, Server 2003, Win 2000 and maybe one of two others could longer updated.

Lots of people have done nothing.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
chowderman said:
one veddy interesting rumor is a Unix operating system running virtual XP - all preconfigured, etc., load & go.

Haven't thought of it before, it would be a great shoein for Ubuntu to do that.

Shermie

Site Supporter
When the mini laptops first came out, some of THEM were using XP. Some of my friends are still using it as well.

I once thought about putting Windows 7 into my existing Acer laptop, but figured that it isn't worth it, especially since it can't be loaded with any more memory than only 2 GB. It is now 6 years old (that's about double the period to the equivalency of a 12-year-old car).

There are still some computers available online that feature Windows 7. I need at least 6 or 8 GB to be able to use Win 7 in a laptop.

K

Kimchee

Some of us don't have to worry about it.
Courtesy of their laptop dying, and being forced into
Windows 8 territory.
Nice learning curve indeed.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'd still try to fine one featuring Windows 7. Now there Windows 8.1.

Anyone know what the added benefit is to that one?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Shermie -

W8.1 is a (most people consider...) feeble attempt to bring back the conventional "desktop" to the Metro aka "touch screen" interface.

it's the ole "How do you turn Windows off? ans: Press Start"

perhaps the most "useful" bit of 8.1 is the ability to have the pc boot directly / automatically to the Desktop mode vs booting into the tile work.

my wife uses an IPad and an IPhone. she has no 'troubles' using those. but the Dell desktop came with W8.0 however the in the box monitor is not touch capable. using a mouse to 'navigate' what is by design a 'touch' application/interface is not sitting well with a whole mess of users.

laptops going dead and forcing an "upgrade" is one thing - but businessi world wide stayed with XP and passed in-toto on the Vista mess. one company I deal with has over 8,000 XP machines and by their calculations less than 10% of those desktop machines can support Win7/Win8 - the machines don't have the RAM (not such a impossible thing to fix) or, more seriously, the required CPU speeds - not something easily 'fixed'

progress is a good thing. but it comes at a price - "Win7 Lite" would be an option for them, but it's not anything MicroSoft will likely consider.

what are you missing in Win7? odds are, it's still there - just moved.
see: Deck Chairs

Shermie

Site Supporter
Shermie -

W8.1 is a (most people consider...) feeble attempt to bring back the conventional "desktop" to the Metro aka "touch screen" interface.

it's the ole "How do you turn Windows off? ans: Press Start"

perhaps the most "useful" bit of 8.1 is the ability to have the pc boot directly / automatically to the Desktop mode vs booting into the tile work.

my wife uses an IPad and an IPhone. she has no 'troubles' using those. but the Dell desktop came with W8.0 however the in the box monitor is not touch capable. using a mouse to 'navigate' what is by design a 'touch' application/interface is not sitting well with a whole mess of users.

laptops going dead and forcing an "upgrade" is one thing - but businessi world wide stayed with XP and passed in-toto on the Vista mess. one company I deal with has over 8,000 XP machines and by their calculations less than 10% of those desktop machines can support Win7/Win8 - the machines don't have the RAM (not such a impossible thing to fix) or, more seriously, the required CPU speeds - not something easily 'fixed'

progress is a good thing. but it comes at a price - "Win7 Lite" would be an option for them, but it's not anything MicroSoft will likely consider.

what are you missing in Win7? odds are, it's still there - just moved.
see: Deck Chairs

Didn't think that there was much to Windows 8.1.

Windows 7 is not bad at all. I'd rather have that then 8. But I'll see what Windows 9 is like, provided they come out with it.

Not going to just jump up and get it right away though. :eating2:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I had this whole response typed out and said Nope.

The issue with XP is security. If you put something valuable on it, it can be had. If its stuff that you have backups of and backups are good enough, go for it. If its stuff like financials where once they are hacked they can access things that hurt....... Well, that's a nope.