Old-Fashioned Pound Cake

Here's my first attempt at posting a Recipe. Hope it works.

My dear friend Maggie Burkley in Natchez who just passed away a few weeks ago, who was famous for her cakes used to say, "Honey You are the Only One Who Can Make a Better Pound Cake Than Me." (I didnt, she was just being nice!) Here it is.

Old-Fashioned Pound Cake

3 Cups Flour (Please *try* to use Cake Flour if you can)
3 Cups Sugar
3 Sticks Butter
10 Eggs (Country Ones are the Best)
Piece of Cream Cheese about as big as a small egg
Juice of a Nice Juicy Lemon
2 teasp Good Quality Vanilla
3/4 Tsp Salt
3/4 Tsp Mace (Optional, but I really like it)

IF YOU DONT HAVE CAKE FLOUR AND ARENT GOING TO GET ANY, YOU CAN STILL MAKE THIS CAKE, IT JUST WONT HAVE AS FINE A TEXTURE. IN THAT CASE USE ALL-PURPOSE (PLAIN) FLOUR.
DO NOT, I REPEAT **DO NOT** USE SELF-RISING FLOUR, IT WILL RUIN IT ! !
(There is no mistake here, do NOT Use any Soda or Baking Powder, we will make sure you dont need that.)
The Secret is the Process. And if you will follow me, it wont be that much trouble.
Cut off about 1/4 of one stick of butter and heavily grease your Tube Pan (I like the butter warm and the pan cold ... makes a nice thick layer stick on.) Dust Pan with Flour.

Separate the eggs into two large bowls. Beat the egg whites .... when they are beginning to get stiff, begin adding in, about 1/3 Cup at a time, 1 Cup of the 3 cups of sugar. When you have added it all, beat about a min or two to make sure it is nice and glossy like a frosting. Set aside. Dont bother washing your beater.
In the Other Large Bowl with the 10 eggs yolks beat the other 2 Cups Sugar and the 3 Sticks of Butter. When beaten well add the lemon juice, vanilla, salt, mace and cream cheese. Beat well.
Then add the 3 cups flour and mix well, but nothing more than mixed well. Mix well and Then STOP:
*** Do not continue to beat after well-mixed. That develops the gluten, which is what you want for rolls, etc, and exactly what you DONT Want with a Cake. ***
Then dump the cake on top of the egg whites and Fold .... and guess what .... you dont have to Fold Gently .... the Air is Sealed In and only a small amount will escape. Dont beat the heck out of it, just fold it, but dont worry .... no need to be gentle.
Bake at about 325* for one hour and 25-30 minutes. Test to make sure it is done.

Try to display this cake on a nice high cake plate with a clear domed cover. It looks beautiful sitting on the sideboard.

I hope you like it. Any Questions, email me @ Recipes.Receipts@gmail.com

Last edited: