1 cup water
2 ½ tablespoons of sugar
2 cloves of garlic OR 3 tablespoons of minced garlic scapes
1 ½ teaspoons of kosher salt
½ of a medium onion, sliced thinly
2 sprigs of fresh dill
½ teaspoon of whole black peppercorns
¼ to 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (depending on how hot you want them) – you
can also add a whole dried chili if you have one.

http://www.mnfoodassociation.org/recipe/refrigerator-dilly-beans
Quote from mnfoodassoc:
"You don’t need any canning supplies for this project. You don’t even need special
jars. I reused a jar from store-bought sauerkraut for mine. Use whatever you have
on hand, as long as it’s glass and has a lid."

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This is something I'm going to try. I love all kinds of pickled stuff, so why not green beans.

I don't have any kosher salt, so I did some reading. What I found on the internet (so take it with a grain of salt :wink:) is this:

Kosher salt has larger granules than table salt, so when substituting use half as much table salt.

Table salt has iodine (usually) and kosher doesn't.

Kosher salt is not really "kosher" but called koshering salt because it helps draw blood from meat.

I'm going to try it with table salt, using half the amt in the recipe.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the iodine is known to cause 'cloudy' issues - hence the invention of pickling salt and use of kosher salt

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Copied and saved, Cooksie!

"The Best Bloody Mary in the World", made at Vorelli's in Provincetown on Cape Cod, uses hot dilly beans as a garnishes instead of celery.

I love the beans (and the Bloody Mary) so much that I bought a jar of the beans in a gourmet store in Maine and paid WAY too much for it!

I'm thrilled to have this recipe!

Lee

Attachments

• Vorelli's Best Bloody Mary in the World.JPG
    Vorelli's Best Bloody Mary in the World.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 107

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
We made dilly beans one year when we had so many beans we were giving them away. They were OK but we never bothered with them again.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Q-Sis - That makes me want a bloody mary, haven't had one in years.

the iodine is known to cause 'cloudy' issues - hence the invention of pickling salt and use of kosher salt

I'm glad you said that. If I had ended up with a jar of cloudy dilly beans, I would have thrown the whole thing out. My sea salt doesn't have iodine in it, but I'll just buy some pickling salt.