Does anyone grind their own salt ?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I know that salt is very different than pepper; I just wonder if freshly ground salt tastes any better than the boxed stuff. Or the boxed sea salt.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I know that salt is very different than pepper; I just wonder if freshly ground salt tastes any better than the boxed stuff. Or the boxed sea salt.
I do. I have a combo of white sea salt (La Baleine Sea Salt - Coarse Crystals from the grocery store) and Pink Himalayan course salt crystals (Trader Joe's) in one of my grinders (the white and pink look nice in the glass grinder). I think it taste fresher and less salty than the box stuff. Also I can get a nice fine grind for popcorn. JMO

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I received a salt grinder as a gift, and I keep it in my desk, using it to salt my tossed salads, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, etc. for lunch.

I can't taste any difference, but the texture is pleasant.

Lee

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I use a salt grinder filled with Mediterranean sea salt and set to grind coarse. I can't detect much taste difference, but like the coarser texture.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I like fresh ground salt - you can control the texture and I think you can control quantity much better.

buckytom

Grill Master
i have a salt grinder, but i rarely use it.

the only advantage that i've found using it is you can put less salt on stuff and still get the salty flavour you desire . i guess it's because the grains cover the surface better so you taste the salt immediately.