How much is Chicken Breast?

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I just got back from the store with 16 LBS of CHEEEE-KON. It was a sale for $1.28 a pound!!! :chicken:

How much is boneless chicken breast by you folks?

waybomb

Yes they do. In fact, large chicken processors breed their chickens to be certain size so they go through the automatic machines used to process them.

I heard Tyson was going to be breeding bigger. But it is a balance - the bigger you breed them, the less amount of coop space you have, and feed costs more per bird.

But it all tastes like chicken. Unless it is smothered or battered with something, it is yuk bland.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes they do. In fact, large chicken processors breed their chickens to be certain size so they go through the automatic machines used to process them.

I heard Tyson was going to be breeding bigger. But it is a balance - the bigger you breed them, the less amount of coop space you have, and feed costs more per bird.

But it all tastes like chicken. Unless it is smothered or battered with something, it is yuk bland.

This explains why I haven't eaten chicken or turkey in over 30 years. Make it bigger, think growth hormones, then eaten by your kids. No thanks. :soapbox::mrgreen:

waybomb

^^^ well, actually, most processors no longer use the growth hormones. They do inject the eggs with a very small amount of antibiotics though.

And do you know what Free Range chickens are? The coop has a 10' x 10' enclosed cage attached to the coop, so the birds, if they can find it, can go outside for a walk.

Calicolady

Whatcha mean "size"? Of the breast? Do they some in different sizes? :unsure:

Boy, ya can't even breath wrong around here without tripping over your fingers!

Size package - regular of family pack, etc.

I didn't know - didn't even think about breast size til now. Oh you guys are teaching me SO MUCH! Lucky me.:yum:

chowhound

There's some genetics involved in there, too, Joe.
Certain breeds of meat chickens grow so fast, feeding them a high protein food of course, that when they reach a certain age their legs can hardly support their weight. No hormones. It's just the way the grow. Sorta like domestic turkeys not being able to fly anymore. They are typically slaughtered around that age.
I have some layers and remember reading that when I was researching the different breeds.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
^^^ well, actually, most processors no longer use the growth hormones. They do inject the eggs with a very small amount of antibiotics though.

And do you know what Free Range chickens are? The coop has a 10' x 10' enclosed cage attached to the coop, so the birds, if they can find it, can go outside for a walk.

Yes I know what free range chickens are but not what they eat. Now I have gotten word from my local meat supplier http://www.kyagr.com/Main.aspx?procedure=show_page(8022) that there is a Amish man outside of Bowling Green KY that sells chickens for a $2 a piece and cleaned for $4. She sees him every few months and I asked her next time she sees him get some from him cleaned. I've been buying from her long enough to know I will pay her as soon as she says she has them. If and when she get them I will eat them as the Amish grow food the way nature intended.

waybomb

Poultry Market News - Daily Report - Wednesday - 01/28/09

The Georgia f.o.b. dock quoted price on broilers and fryers for next week's trading remains unchanged at 87.25¢ based on full truck load lots of ice pack USDA grade "A" sized 2½ to 3 pound birds. The market is steady and the live supply is adequate for a normal to good demand. Average weights are ranging mostly desirable. Estimated slaughter today is 4,635,900 head. This compares with 4,370,300 head last Wednesday.
The f.o.b. dock quoted prices on ice pack parts based on truck load and pool truck load lots for next week's trading are:
Line Run Tenders:
$1.8150

Skinless Boneless Breasts:
$1.40

Whole Breasts:
76.50¢

Boneless Skinless Thigh Meat:
$1.16

Thighs:
53.50¢

Drumsticks:
59.50¢

Leg Quarters:
34.50¢

Wings:
$1.4750
Demand on line run tenders, skinless boneless breasts, thighs, drumsticks and leg quarters ranges good to normal, mostly good; whole breasts and boneless skinless thigh meat is normal; while the demand on wings is good.

Calicolady

Ok. So I checked my local Winn Dixie, and Publix markets.
Couldn't find WallyWorld prices onliine

Winn Dixie didn't have chicken in their weekly circular, but here are some other meat sales

T Bone - $6.99lb save $5.00lb w/reward card
Ribeye - $5.99lb save $7.00lb "
Groundround - $3.49lb save $ .50 w/reward card
Lamb loin chops - $8.99lb save $3.00lb w/reward card
NY strip steak - $7.99 save $5.00lb "
Porterhouse - $7.99lb save $4.20lb "
Beef tenderloin - $9.99lb save $8.00lb "

Publix did have boneless chick on sale $2.49lb - save $2.90lb
also
lamb loin chops - $7.99lb
NY strip steak - $6.99lb save $3.00lb

chowhound

Yes I know what free range chickens are but not what they eat. Now I have gotten word from my local meat supplier http://www.kyagr.com/Main.aspx?procedure=show_page(8022) that there is a Amish man outside of Bowling Green KY that sells chickens for a $2 a piece and cleaned for $4. She sees him every few months and I asked her next time she sees him get some from him cleaned. I've been buying from her long enough to know I will pay her as soon as she says she has them. If and when she get them I will eat them as the Amish grow food the way nature intended.

Nawww, they're too busy building them electric fireplaces now....
:yum:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Poultry Market News - Daily Report - Wednesday - 01/28/09

The Georgia f.o.b. dock quoted price on broilers and fryers for next week's trading remains unchanged at 87.25¢ based on full truck load lots of ice pack USDA grade "A" sized 2½ to 3 pound birds. The market is steady and the live supply is adequate for a normal to good demand. Average weights are ranging mostly desirable. Estimated slaughter today is 4,635,900 head. This compares with 4,370,300 head last Wednesday.
The f.o.b. dock quoted prices on ice pack parts based on truck load and pool truck load lots for next week's trading are:
Line Run Tenders:
$1.8150

Skinless Boneless Breasts:
$1.40

Whole Breasts:
76.50¢

Boneless Skinless Thigh Meat:
$1.16

Thighs:
53.50¢

Drumsticks:
59.50¢

Leg Quarters:
34.50¢

Wings:
$1.4750
Demand on line run tenders, skinless boneless breasts, thighs, drumsticks and leg quarters ranges good to normal, mostly good; whole breasts and boneless skinless thigh meat is normal; while the demand on wings is good.

Thats great info Mr Bomb!!!!! Thanks! :bounce: