bought the worst can tuna

Carolina Cooking

I am so spoiled with Costco kirkland brand. It is the best canned tuna I have ever had bar none.

I picked up some BumbleBee albacore in water at publix. :ohmy: the awful fishy taste. Plus it was slimmy I had to rinse it & rinse it .

I have 3 more cans , gross. I think I may give it to my cat lol.

Note to self, do not run out of costco tuna.:bonk:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
The best tuna I have had recently is StarKist yellowfin in olive oil.
To me, all tuna packed in water either takes on the taste of the can, or has no flavour at all... Yuk!

cookingirl

I wish I had a costco card--but I have a bj's---and bj's only has the multiple packs--don't eat that much tuna.
I was very disappointed with my last can of bumble bee--chick of the sea is not any better..I have some trader joe's and a few different brands of Italian tuna---haven't tried them yet, but will let you know....
gotta go---work-YUK

The best tuna I have had recently is StarKist yellowfin in olive oil.
To me, all tuna packed in water either takes on the taste of the can, or has no flavour at all... Yuk!

Yup - I only buy the StarKist (or sometimes the imported brands) tuna in olive oil. It's always tender & delicious, plus olive oil is so good for you. Here's one of our favorite ways to enjoy it:

Breezy Mediterranean Tuna Pasta

Two 4.5-ounce cans StarKist Solid Light Tuna Fillet in Olive Oil, undrained; or any other brand of tuna packed in olive oil, undrained
Approximately 10-12 caper berries, roughly chopped (or 2 tablespoons regular capers, left whole)
Approximately 10-12 Kalamata olives, pitted & roughly chopped
1 medium fresh tomato, chopped; or the rough equivalent of halved cherry or grape tomatoes
Two large garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
Approximately ½ cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Juice from ½ a lemon
Splash of dry white Italian wine (like Pinot Grigio)
Approximately one teaspoon dried oregano
Extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons of butter (or leftover seafood butter**)
Several dashes of crushed red pepper flakes
Small handful of baby arugula (optional)

1# of spinach fettuccine or linquini to serve

Cook pasta according to package directions & drain.

While pasta is cooking, coat the bottom of a large skillet with extra-virgin olive oil & add butter to melt over medium heat. Add chopped garlic & sauté lightly for just a couple of minutes. Do not allow to brown (or – heaven forbid – burn! If garlic burns, start over again).

Add all remaining ingredients & stir occasionally – very gently – to heat through.

Serve over spinach pasta.

** “Seafood Butter” is the leftover dipping butter I save when my husband & I have steamed clams or lobster, etc., etc. I save & freeze it to use in recipes such as this, as well as for butter-poaching thick fish like cod, etc. While I’d never save dipping butter that was used communally by other people, hubby & I feel that we have the same “cooties”, so this has worked out quite well – lol!!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I've had Bumble Bee in the past and never noticed it being slimy.

My favorite can tuna has always been Chicken of the Sea. Yum!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Breezy, that recipe looks delicious!

A sort of puttanesca, right? Which I LOVE!

Thanks!

Lee

Carolina Cooking

costco tuna is really white & firm, in fact its packed so tight it takes a few to get it out & get it 'forked'. the cans bigger can too. it is sweet & doesn't have that fishy taste. It is really really good tuna.

this can was not white & for albecore it was chunky too not solid. It had some kind of film on it.

I will buy a can of star to try it . till I get to costco.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I always buy tuna in olive oil, never liked the water package ones. As for brands most of the major grocery brands are all about the same to me, being pretty much acceptable. I probably don't eat a can of tuna a month though and usually in a sandwich or on crackers.

Guts

when I was a commercial fisherman on the boats here on the West Coast. We sold our albacore to bumblebee and StarKist. Those were fun days on the boat. There were times when we would put 1 ton per hour of albacore on the deck fishing with Jack poles off the back of the boat, you've all seen the pictures of people with poles and tuna flying out of the water onto the boat. That's what I did for about 10 years in the 70s. Now back to tuna yellow and blue fin were made into canned tuna and only white albacore was sold as fancy tuna. When I grew up all tuna was packed in oil that is my preferred tuna. albacore in water like at Costco is very good and what I use now but I wish they would pack it in oil. When I worked at an Italian restaurant. They had some imported tuna from Italy it was not albacore but more than likely yellowfin for bluefin tuna but the flavor was incredible. They use this on their tuna salads and that was all they used it for at the restaurant. I can still see the can red with some yellow in my mind and I know it's still available online but I just couldn't take the name of it offhand.

Carolina Cooking

thanks for that info Guts. :thumb: i have bought fresh tuna & its so not like canned . Its like 2 differant things with the same name.

I just saw some, tuna steaks fresh not frozen yesterday @ $10.99 lb .. I bought rib eye instead lol.

Breezy, that recipe looks delicious!

A sort of puttanesca, right? Which I LOVE!

Thanks!

Lee

Thanks Lee! Yes, it's sort of like a puttanesca, but with far less tomato presence than most recipes. We enjoy it often, especially if I have half a bag or so of Arugula in the fridge that I want to use up.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ah - but you can't just buy any old Starkist - it has to be the one packed in olive oil. Sometimes hard to pick out from all the canned tuna available these days, but it's there. I've yet to find a supermarket that doesn't carry it now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yup, and I especially like the packets.
The hickory smoked is really good.
For a basic tuna salad, I like to get the kind in oil and add a teaspoon of Sharwood's curry powder right at the end.

Yup, and I especially like the packets.
The hickory smoked is really good.
For a basic tuna salad, I like to get the kind in oil and add a teaspoon of Sharwood's curry powder right at the end.

Yeah, I like the packets too, but only buy them once in awhile since they're kind of expensive for the amount you get. Since I like spicy food, my favorites have been "Lemon Pepper" & "Thai Chili". The Thai one in particular was extremely spicy for a commercial mainstream product. I really liked it, which is probably why I no longer see it being offered anymore - lol!