Saying Happy Holidays?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
This time of year is not holy for Moslems and other non Christians, right? So we really can't say Happy Holidays to everyone, right?

Saliha

In my religion some scholars say that greeting "Merry Christmas" or responding to kind of greetings is a big sin but others say it´s ok to show respect to our neighbors. I agree with those the latter one´s opinions in this case. So I see it´s a polite way to behave.

:whistle: And I love gingerbreads too.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I don't think I've ever said Happy Holidays.

Being a Catholic Christian, it's the season of the birth of Jesus Christ, so it's Merry Christmas- or at least that's the greeting you'll get from me.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
But what if you are not a Christian? What if you celebrate no holidays this time of year? Like Witnesses?

What then?

Saliha

I don't think I've ever said Happy Holidays.

Being a Catholic Christian, it's the season of the birth of Jesus Christ, so it's Merry Christmas- or at least that's the greeting you'll get from me.

Yes, you say this because it´s your holyday but what about others?

Would you then say to your non-Christian neighbor or workmate Happy Holidays or for example Happy Hanukkah or Happy Ramadan?

Merry "coming soon" Christmas to you by the way. :flowers:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If someone says "Happy" whatever to me, I smile and say, "Thanks, and same to you", even if I don't celebrate the day. Like Mother's Day, for example. Or Hanukkah.

I think it's just a nice social custom to wish other people to "Have a happy day", be it a special day for me, or for them, or not.

So, to answer your question, Chocolate Moose, sure, you can say whatever you want to whomever you want. As always, how they react to what you've said is out of your control.

Lee

Last edited: