Grilled Tacos

High Cheese

Saucier
Obviously, you can use whatever ingredients you like. Here's what I came up with for lunch. The rub was black pepper, salt, cumin, cayenne, paprika, onion powder and coriander.

Various peppers and onion.

IMG_0817.jpg

Once the veg is done, peel the pepers and dice with the onion, place in a foil pouch.

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

I cooked the veg seperate from the meat so everything didn't taste like mesquite.

Here's what I do to get a nice smokey/wood flavor to whatever I'm grilling. All you need is about a handful of wood to get nice flavor.

Small mesquite chunk right on the flame diffusers.

IMG_0818.jpg

Got me some nice smoke now.

IMG_0821.jpg

Skirt steak goes on.

IMG_0823.jpg

You can see that you get tons of flavor just from those few chunks of wood.

IMG_0825.jpg

High Cheese

Saucier
Once the meat is done and resting, add the veg and your tortillas to the grill.

IMG_0828.jpg

Reinforcing the heat factor. Not for the faint of heart. The jalepeno actually cools off the heat from this sauce. :shock:

IMG_0829.jpg

Add your meat and veg, top with some cilantro and a coupla lime wedges.

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

chowhound

That looks good alright. Nice job.

It looks like you seeded the jalapeno. I'm wondering what you meant by "peel" though.... do you actually take the skin off? Doesn't that lose a little of the grill flavor?

FooD

that looks great .. skirt steak is hard to find around here ..

+1 .....I agree! In fact, after I get off work this afternoon we're heading off to my in-laws where we're having lots of those...:D

I'm in SoCal and I think skirt steak is the most popular cut of meat sold in this region, I think....

High Cheese

Saucier
That looks good alright. Nice job.

It looks like you seeded the jalapeno. I'm wondering what you meant by "peel" though.... do you actually take the skin off? Doesn't that lose a little of the grill flavor?

Thanks. No, the skin gets kinda funky after you grill them. The bits are chewey and get stuck in your teeth. They're more roasted than grilled.

High Cheese

Saucier
+1 .....I agree! In fact, after I get off work this afternoon we're heading off to my in-laws where we're having lots of those...:D

I'm in SoCal and I think skirt steak is the most popular cut of meat sold in this region, I think....

In the past few years skirt has become more and more available....at top dollar though. Skirt steak is The Classic Cut for fajitas/tacos. Most areas, like So Cal, it's probobly cheaper than dirt. Around here skirt can cost $7-8 per lb....pretty much the same as choice ribeye or strip.

Love2"Q"

In the past few years skirt has become more and more available....at top dollar though. Skirt steak is The Classic Cut for fajitas/tacos. Most areas, like So Cal, it's probobly cheaper than dirt. Around here skirt can cost $7-8 per lb....pretty much the same as choice ribeye or strip.

thats what flank steak goes for here ..

chowhound

Thanks, Jeeks.
But I guess I don't know what you mean by funky... Why is it OK to leave the skin on peppers if they are on a kebob, but for these you should peel it? How exactly are you grilling these, direct, indirect? Edumicate me.

High Cheese

Saucier
When you "roast" peppers over an open fire the skin tends to get papery and begin to peel. There's a difference between roasting and grilling. If you were to grill the peppers, the cooking process would be very quick and the skins are basically in tact. Roasting on the grill is low and slow...for the most part....maybe medium an kinda slow. When you roast, either on the grill, stove to, under a broiler....the skins start to peel on their own and become papery...like a corn husk. When they get to this point, your best bet is to continue with the natural method and finish peeling.

The same goes for tomato sauce from scratch. The best recipes (IMO) start with roasted tomatoes. Well, while the tomatoes are roasting the skin begins to peel. If you leave the skin on (as I have done) you will wind up with tiny little rolls of skin throughout your sauce. VERY ANNOYING!

It's not THAT important, but it adds to the finishing touches of your dish.

buckytom

Grill Master
very nice, jeeks!!! :thumb: i remembered this thread, but it took me a while to find it.

i feel kinda funny, though, looking up your skirt steak. :shock:

PanchoHambre

great pics and cool idea Jay

I am constantly amazed at what they can charge for what ought to be cheap cuts of meat when they become marketed as some specialty