Bought new Monster Sony Megadisc 300-Disk CD Player!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just treated myself to an early Christmas gift while taking advantage of Black Friday!

By buying a new monster Sony Megadisk 300-disk CD player!! Haven't hooked it up yet, but I will soon. I'll keep you all posted when I do. :chef:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have the Sony 200 CD mega player. It is a joy to work with. I put my CD's in and don't have to handle them again.
One tip, make a list of what CD you put in each slot. I have a sheet I typed up and printed out and refer to it when picking which CD to play. If you order similar like music together you can then let them play right through. I didn't do that so I hop around a good bit, with the reference sheet it's easy to do. Easy to let others see the list and pick a CD they want to here. Overall pretty darn cool.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I have a unit like Doc's, purchased years ago. I have the CD covers in two CD large CD wallets with each storage space numbered corresponding to a slot in the changer. All one has to do is page through, pick out the album cover you want, and use the remote to select the appropriate number. I keep the albums grouped, Christmas, new age, blue grass, etc. to play consecutive CDs of the the same genre unattended. It works like a charm.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've got over 290 CDs, and I'm far too anal and afflicted with OCD to let them sit in a machine forever. They have to be in their cases on the shelf for storage. :w00t:

But, for the past few years, I've been making all of my music buys as MP3s. I think it's been over 2 years since I bought a CD. As for a music server, I've seen some good ones, but all of the ones I like require a dedicated PC, and you have to rip all those CDs to MP3 to store on the server. Way too much work if you ask me.

I've got a 5 disc changer, and that is more than enough for me for an evening or two, or a special sitting. And it means only 5 of those babies are off the shelf and out of their cases at a time. :wub:

I guess you guys don’t have my OCD. :yum:

To be honest, now that I have easy access to MP3s and Youtube, and have a library of over 300 songs in MP3 format, I rarely pull out the CDs anymore. The digital age is making my collection all but defunct unless the PC dies or the internet goes down.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Personally, I have no problem with a dedicated PC. I have 7 already, what's another. Besides, It can be an old one. Also, once set up you can hear your music from anywhere over the net.

Keltin, have you looked at FLAC format?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Personally, I have no problem with a dedicated PC. I have 7 already, what's another. Besides, It can be an old one. Also, once set up you can hear your music from anywhere over the net.

Keltin, have you looked at FLAC format?

:w00t:

You da man! I thought I was bad with four! I've got the main PC, an HD Capture PC, and 2 old junkers I'm tinkering with that I'll wipe and install 98 on and then run simple games on one for my Grandson, and the other I'll geek with and write programs to do various things for me......as time allows of course. :yum:

No, haven't heard of FLAC....I don't think. I'll Google it here in a bit. Thanks. :thumb:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've had the 200 disk changer for 10 years or more. I would make a few copies of any CD I bought and have one for the car, one for the truck, one for the boats etc. I liked keeping the original in the 200 CD unit. I also prefer the list on paper rather than flipping through a CD case with the covers.
Lately I have also gone to MP3's. So now I burn MP3 CD's. You can get 5+ hours of music on one CD. I have not noticed a sound quality difference, but the one disadvantage is all my CD players will not play the MP3 CD's. In the off boating season the 200 CD players gets a workout and for boating I do mainly MP3's. Both collections have some of the same music but there is enough of a difference to keep it fresh.
I considered a music server but have not been motivated enough to get er done.

I've never heard of the FLAC format. Enlighten us please.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's a pic of what it looks like.

This thing is truly a massive monster!!!!! Much taller than the Sony stereo receiver!! Larger than any CD player that I've ever owned before!!

It is so big that it won't fit into the stereo component cabinet because it is just too long from front to back!!!!!

After painstakingly adjusting the shelves to try to accommodate the unit, that is when I found out that it jutts outside the component caabinet way to far, keeping the glass door from closing!!

So I had no othe choice but to put it on top of the cabinet. It'll have to be moved and put on top of the speaker nearby to use the turntable. :ohmy:

I'm playing a disk in it now. Lots of stuff to learn in due time, so I'm just going with the basic things for now. I'll know more as I go along.

Attachments

• Sony Monster Mega-disk 300-disk CD Player..jpg
    Sony Monster Mega-disk 300-disk CD Player..jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have the Sony 200 CD mega player. It is a joy to work with. I put my CD's in and don't have to handle them again.
One tip, make a list of what CD you put in each slot. I have a sheet I typed up and printed out and refer to it when picking which CD to play. If you order similar like music together you can then let them play right through. I didn't do that so I hop around a good bit, with the reference sheet it's easy to do. Easy to let others see the list and pick a CD they want to here. Overall pretty darn cool.

There IS a keyboard jack on the front panel in the lower left-hand corner, which allows the use of a keyboard, enabling me to type in and program the names and disk numbers of the artists of all the CD's.

This will elimininate the guesswork of trying to figure out what belongs to who, as well as lopcating the disk numbers from 1 to 300. But I think that you're right, and I just might do that soon!

I think that my entire CD collection might fit into this monster!! :brows:

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin - In the office - XP desktop, apple iMac, Ubuntu workstation, Laptop running Windows 7 and a laptop running XP, that needs TLC.

At home - 3 XP desktops. One for me one, for DW and a third that is to go to the garage/ shop as soon as I get a monitor for it.

Here is the link for FLAC. The claim is that MP3 looses sound quality and FLAC doesn't. The Beatles USB drive that just came out has both formats.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's another pic of it up close.

Attachments

• Sony Monster Mega-disk 300-disk CD Player..jpg 2.jpg
    Sony Monster Mega-disk 300-disk CD Player..jpg 2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 144

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've had the 200 disk changer for 10 years or more. I would make a few copies of any CD I bought and have one for the car, one for the truck, one for the boats etc. I liked keeping the original in the 200 CD unit. I also prefer the list on paper rather than flipping through a CD case with the covers.
Lately I have also gone to MP3's. So now I burn MP3 CD's. You can get 5+ hours of music on one CD. I have not noticed a sound quality difference, but the one disadvantage is all my CD players will not play the MP3 CD's. In the off boating season the 200 CD players gets a workout and for boating I do mainly MP3's. Both collections have some of the same music but there is enough of a difference to keep it fresh.
I considered a music server but have not been motivated enough to get er done.

I've never heard of the FLAC format. Enlighten us please.

Hey Doc, you can get around the older CD player’s MP3 limitations by burring the MP3s in CDA format. Granted you’ll only get about 20-22 songs in a CD in that format, but at least you’ll be able to play that CD in all players.

Windows Media Player can do it. Just select the MP3s you want, and then select burn as CD. Super simple.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Keltin. The main reason for me to burn MP3 cd's is for the long play. 75 songs or more. I have the iPhone to use when the player can't handle the MP3 format. At my brothers game room we bought a cheapo DVD player specifically for the MP3 CD's. Works like a charm.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
And I suspect the new ones will play MP3 cd's.
While I have enough CD's that I could use the 400 I won't get it as long as my 200 one works. I have 20 slots specifically for temp CD's. I rotate in and out of there when needed.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here are 3 pics of mine (pardon the dust on the front panel).

This thing is a serious monster!!

Got over 100 CD's loaded into the machine and there is STILL room for just under 200 more!!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, it looks like a monster stereo receiver! it makes the Sony receiver look small.

And as you can see, it is a HUMUNOUS monster!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
that is a lot of machine! I opted for a media server because of space and ease of use.
How does that work Ralph? Isn't that a desktop PC? That would take up more space than Sherman's new toy. :confused: If there are other types of media servers I'm not aware of them.
Please tell me about the ease of use. As I now grow my collection with more MP3's than CD's I see a media server in my future.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
How does that work Ralph? Isn't that a desktop PC? That would take up more space than Sherman's new toy. :confused: If there are other types of media servers I'm not aware of them.
Please tell me about the ease of use. As I now grow my collection with more MP3's than CD's I see a media server in my future.

Doc, would this (Iomega Screen Play Director) do the job? Under $300 with 2 TB of storage.

Jim

Shermie

Site Supporter
That looks smaller than my new CD player, but it also looks or seems more complicated!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Got my entire CD collection loaded into the unit, and there is STILL some room left for about 49 more discs!!

Put a cleaning disc in as well because at times, the first songs on some of the CD's tend to skip, so instead of loading and unloading the cleaning disc, I just leave it in there for convenience and to improve the machine's performance.

High Cheese

Saucier
I have basically that same 300 disc unit. I bought mine around 03 but it looks just like the one you have. Yes, it's larger than standard equipment. Mine is on top of my stereo cabinet.

I will tell you this, be extremely careful moving the unit around after it has discs in it. I moved in 05 and had about 200+ CD's installed, I figured they were in there secure...nope. When I went to turn it on in the new house about 20 or so CD's got jammed up in the back and I had to break them to get them out. What really sucked is they were legit CD's, not bootleg jobs. (lol) So just be careful of that. I wish mine played mp3's. My DVD player does so sometimes I'll burn a DVD with 10,000 songs and pop it in.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have basically that same 300 disc unit. I bought mine around 03 but it looks just like the one you have. Yes, it's larger than standard equipment. Mine is on top of my stereo cabinet.

I will tell you this, be extremely careful moving the unit around after it has discs in it. I moved in 05 and had about 200+ CD's installed, I figured they were in there secure...nope. When I went to turn it on in the new house about 20 or so CD's got jammed up in the back and I had to break them to get them out. What really sucked is they were legit CD's, not bootleg jobs. (lol) So just be careful of that. I wish mine played mp3's. My DVD player does so sometimes I'll burn a DVD with 10,000 songs and pop it in.

Thanks for the heads-up, High Cheese!

So sorry that has happened to you! I would never move and keep the CD's inside the unit!! I'd have to take them all out first and put them all back in their jewel cases.

I was thinking of doing that, since like yours, mine is on top of the stereo cabinet as well.

I think I'd have removed the screws and went inside to reset the CD's instead. I'm planning to move it over to the spot under the TV, but now if I do it, it'll be very carefully so as not to disturb the CD's in their assigned slots.

Yeah, the CD's are not secure. They just merely "stand up" in the carousel slots so that they are ready to be played whenever you choose, in the order that you choose.

Looking down onto the unit, the actual playing mechanism is in the 10 o'clock position. Each CD is picked up off the carousel, to be played when you select whichever one.

And yes, it IS a monster that strongly demands a considerable amount of living room or family room real estate. Probably the biggest piece of stereo equipment in your system!

But I LOVE it because I just put my enntire collection of CD's into the unit!
The unit before this one only took five discs at once. The remote had stopped working, and I grew tired of getting up and using just the controls on the unit itself.