Facebook Stole Every Number in Your Phone

K

Kimchee

The ticker isn't for us..... it's a money maker for Facebook.
The article I read explained how...
If you see a post from a friend, linking a music video or song from
Rhapsody, and you click on it... You will get a free 2 week trial
membership from them automatically. Other companies' links will
do things like showing part of a video or song, then restricting the
rest to paid members, with membership deals of course.
A fair number of other examples were given too.

(Facebook never changes to improve our experience.... the last change added
more sidebar area for ads, and increased our page use... for more ad exposure...)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Kimchee, I joined Facebook in it's infancy.
Found it boring after a while.
Then a lot of other things like people telling me "you need to dress up your page!"
The only reason I joined was to talk to my daughter (step daughter) in England.
We now talk on Yahoo and cam with eachother when she's online.

It seemed goofy after a while, so I cancelled the account, but not before I started getting a lot of spam and crap that was related to being a member there.
Don't miss it, wouldn't go back if someone paid me.

The September 2011 Facebook changes are inspiring much wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst its userbase. Yet again, users are getting distressed by Zuckerberg's modifications to their beloved social platform.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/18978/facebook_changes_draw_ire_new_news_feed_gets_few_likes

Phiddlechik

I've never gotten spam related to facebook stuff. I use it for photo sharing, talking with relatives, old friends. Found people from 30+ years ago on it. But, I'm giving google+ a try, looks interesting.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've never gotten spam related to facebook stuff. I use it for photo sharing, talking with relatives, old friends. Found people from 30+ years ago on it. But, I'm giving google+ a try, looks interesting.
My account was hacked.
My yahoo mail account has been hacked before.
It's nice to know that there are persons so interested as to take the time to do this shit.
All of my accounts are pretty secure right now, few as they are.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Shermie, here is another image Sass shared over on my other forum (see below)
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=488691#post488691

As for Google+, same thing as facebook with a different name. Like others I was curious so I tried to open an account. They require your real name (I didn't see how they could possibly enforce that so no worries), then in the sign up process they asked for my cell number. Nope, not giving that to them. So they told me to try again later, for now they have all the beta users they needed. LOL.

Google has always been all about info gathering. The browser they put out years ago (Chrome) raised the bar in how much info it gleaned from the users computer. After complaints they backed it off a tad, but I still don't trust them. After my attempt to join Google+ it simply reinforced my beliefs that google is not your friend. They are in it to make money and to gather all the data they can on you to use to make money down the road. Much the same as facebook. It's all about data and money.

Sure, I was taken in by facebook also. It's nice to hook up with folks I had not talked to in years. But after the novelty had wore off I still did not talk to them regularly. It is a tool to catch up and find out what others are up to. If I cared enough about them I would stay close, but that is not the case. We all fade apart all over again. I have to admit, and I am surprised by this, that I feel closer to you all, folks I have never met face to face, who I talk with daily here on our internet cooking forum than I do with most folks from my past that I knew way back when. Strange but true. I suspect a number of us feel that way and that is why our forums keep growing.

Attachments

• FacebookDr_Seuss.jpg
    FacebookDr_Seuss.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 114

Carolina Cooking

I sure did ...tons of spam & my norton was earning its $$.I put everything to private & cleaned out 'friends'. In fact I don't use it that much, not a fan. I am old old school. I like to actually talk to my people lol

I am stunned at what folks put out there for the public to see. :sad:
In fact I don't think I want to know what ppl are doing with their time every hour on the hour. I mean get a life for gripes sake. :sad::sad:

Phiddlechik

O.K., maybe I will "get a life," certainly not here, I guess. After all, I must not really care about those people I lost track of 30 years ago.

see ya... not. have a good one.

for gripe's sake.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
O.K., maybe I will "get a life," certainly not here, I guess. After all, I must not really care about those people I lost track of 30 years ago.

see ya... not. have a good one.

for gripe's sake.
Phiddlechik, please do not take any of the posts here personally. Obviously we all have facebook accounts. We've all tried it and use it to our advantage. Some folks who know we spend time on our internet cooking forum would tell us to get a life, cause it's not for them. That's okay. Different strokes for different folks. As CC said, she was not singling you out for using facebook or google+. She quoted you to address the spam email issue and point out that she had gotten spam emails because of her facebook account.
No disrespect or harm intended.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This reinforces what we have been speculating about for both Google and Facebook:

From the link Andy provided above:

The boardroom discussions at Facebook are not about how to help little Johnny make more and better friendships online; they are about how Facebook can monetize Johnny's "social graph" -- the accumulated data about how Johnny makes friends, shares links and makes consumer decisions. Facebook's real customers are the companies who actually pay them for this data, and for access to our eyeballs in the form of advertisements. The hours Facebook users put into their profiles and lists and updates is the labor that Facebook then sells to the market researchers and advertisers it serves.

Ugh. It's threads like these that make me oh so very happy that I do not, nor do I ever plan to, join Facebook or any of its ilk. Whatever I may be missing by this choice is well worth missing in my opinion. Anyone I haven't kept in touch with over the years, I have no desire to keep in touch with. All my family & friends that I desire to keep in touch with, do so via e-mail, snail mail, & telephone. Works for me.

Shermie

Site Supporter
As of late, Facebook has become so friggen S.L.O.W!!!

Also, the SOB, won't respond right away. Keeps on freezing up!!! I'm almost ready to give up the ghost on it. It's just ridiculous!!!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ugh. It's threads like these that make me oh so very happy that I do not, nor do I ever plan to, join Facebook or any of its ilk. Whatever I may be missing by this choice is well worth missing in my opinion. Anyone I haven't kept in touch with over the years, I have no desire to keep in touch with. All my family & friends that I desire to keep in touch with, do so via e-mail, snail mail, & telephone. Works for me.
:applause: