The Shoemaker's Kids

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I think that you have all heard the story about the shoemaker's kids that never have any new shoes.

My computer at home is really old. Maybe 8 years. I do not keep anything work related on it. Bear has learned how to power it down, which he does when he wants attention. Liam has learned that if he lays just right he blocks the fan and it overheats and powers down, which he does when he wants attention.

Anyway, a PC will take only so much of this and something has to give. I do use it for remote support sessions. Last night, I was working on a session when the mother board finally said enough. Down it went never to return.

I brought one of my bench machines home this afternoon. Placed it and took the hard drive out of the old one. I am able to ercover all the data. All I need to do is reload a lot of software.

Shoemakers kids? Of course, it was not backed up. I was lucky.

Please have a backup plan, please.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a little thing, I think it's called a Sandisk, that I occasionally use to back up my computer.

Also, I subscribe to Norton Security, and I think they have something that automatically backs up my stuff. I don't really understand it, but I think that's what I'm paying for.

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have mozy. Fortunately, I did not need it. Only the mother board failed. The hard drive was intact.

I was amazed, copy a couple folders to the right places and my browzer, bookmarks and history all popped right back. Same with Thunderbird. I would have still been working with Outlook.

Still lots of software to put back, the basics are up.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have mozy too. Never had to use it...knock on wood...but I have it.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have had to use it. The restores are very slow. Slow does, however, brat lost. LOL

Just male sure that you are backing up everything you need. Sometimes, the default settings.FF are not enough.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
My business MacBook is backed up weekly when I update my business data. I just use an external 300GB drive. Seems to do the job well. I check the data periodically from another Mac I have. We do the same with DW's MacBook, mainly to have a copy of all the pictures she takes. I've often thought about offsite data storage, but just never felt the need. If my business were much larger and more complex, I would probably do it, but I'm just a small, one man business.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Probably a sound schedule Joe. I do favor off site, because, it covers the contingency of something happening to your home.