New Cell Phone Service!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Just a heads-up, guys.

Last week, I've joined a new cellular phone service - Metro PCS, which is much, much better than the AT&T Go Phone service plan.

This new service offers several plans to fit the customers' needs, and has several monthly payment plans availible.

And unlike AT&T Go Phone, which charges you $1 a day every day for the first call made or received, and charges by minutes, the Metro PCS service only requires one monthly payment from as low as $40 up to $60!

You can also send and received as many calls and text messages as you like and not be charged one penny extra!! It's like having a contract, but there is none.

AT&T has only ONE monthly plan for $60.

Plus, there's no more running to one of their stores to add or refill any minutes to the cell phone service because AT&T's Go Phone website won't let me pay online!

The Go Phone service just wasn't bringing anything to the table for me! It was very limited and it was costing me too much money - $45 a month for minutes, plus another $31 in first-call-made-or-received charges - for a total of $76 a month!! They WERE giving me free minutes, but then they stopped!

With the new Metro PCS plan, I pay a flat rate of only $45 a month and I'm getting a much better service and many more featuires for my money!

I'm on a desparate mission to cut out all ridiculous expenses to help make ends meet. And AT&T's Go phone plan was way too expensive for me because I was paying too much for too little!! :bonk:

Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
The pay-as-you-go plans are all more expensive, Sherman.

We have something similar to Metro PCS here called Cricket. It's $45/mo (with all the taxes, etc) unlimited talk and text. It's great for the city, but poor coverage when traveling. So it all depends upon your needs and your location.

Gee, did you check out Consumer Cellular (www.consumercellular.com)?

I've been using them for two years now & couldn't possibly be happier. Got a free basic phone & pay $23/month for something like 250 free minutes for anywhere in the U.S. (Plans start as low as $10 & up.) And reception from everywhere has been hands-down FABULOUS!! Not to mention customer service - again, FABULOUS. But then, I only use my phone as a PHONE. No pictures, texting, or internet stuff. But they have phones & decent plans for that stuff as well.

I can't recommend the company highly enough.

K

Kimchee

My wife and I don't text or surf or any of that jazz, either.
Right now we are with Verizon, but when our contract expires, I expect
we will be switching... Unless, of course, she can figure out a valid reason to
NEED a smart phone, which she dearly wants to do, LOL!

About the only other function I use is to send the occasional picture message, so
pay as i go with those is the way to go.

Heck, Verizon has a New Every Two program, where you get a discount on phone
prices with a renewal of your contract. I was checking out the phones available,
and EVERY ONE OF THEM required an additional purchase of a data package.. which
I would not use.
So it is safe to say (at least IMHO), that Verizon is abandoning their customers who
just want a phone with no other toys.

FooD

I have the basic AT&T plan which works for me for the most part when I need to use it as I am not much of a cell phone user.
To cut cost, what I'm planning on doing is closing my AT&T land line account (which I rarely use) for my home and just keeping the DSL internet account.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Heck, Verizon has a New Every Two program, where you get a discount on phone
prices with a renewal of your contract. I was checking out the phones available,
and EVERY ONE OF THEM required an additional purchase of a data package.. which
I would not use.
So it is safe to say (at least IMHO), that Verizon is abandoning their customers who
just want a phone with no other toys.
I have Verizon, too, and have been a customer for 6 or 7 years. I went with them because none of the other carriers had any signal strength at the coast. I have 5 lines on my account (for my kids and my mom) and unlimited texting. It's about $170/mo. for all.

Anyway, I wanted to upgrade my phones and when I looked at the site, I found exactly what you are talking about. A data plan required for practically every phone! I was ticked off, to say the least. So I just bought a couple of brand new, old stock phones from ebay. They are smart phones, but not the latest models (Samsung i760). Then I tried to activate online, but it wouldn't let me without adding a data plan. So here's the secret - call Verizon customer service. (Don't go to a store.)

I told them that I didn't want a data plan, wouldn't use a data plan, and if they wouldn't activate my new phones without a data plan, I would be switching carriers. Surprise! They can block data to your phone so you won't accidentally access the internet with your butt and they can activate a smart phone without a data plan! The key is to be polite but persistent. You may have to talk to several people, but they will do it. And I didn't have to renew my contract, which gives me an advantage in the future. The phones were $100 each on ebay, about what I would have paid for a smart phone through Verizon with a 2-year renewal.

Oh - and texting is wonderful! I thought it was ridiculous at first, but my kids wanted it and it applied to all the phones. I am amazed at how handy it is. To me, it's like a bulletin board. I can remind or inform my husband or my kids of something without worrying if I would be interrupting a class or a meeting, etc., as with a phone call. Try it, Kimchee - you'll like it!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You'll be hooked, FooD. Sexting......um, I mean texting........is what all the cool kids do!

You'll be hooked, FooD. Sexting......um, I mean texting........is what all the cool kids do!

Oh please - don't even get me started on the inconsiderate a**holes in the supermarket blocking the aisles while they look up recipes yadayadayada.

PLEASE - wake up & get your act together before you go to the market, or at the very least, at least look behind you once in awhile at the market. What a bunch of yahoos I have to deal with every time I shop. What did these people DO without phones when they had to food shop.

OH, THE HUMANITY!!!!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It's the ones that text and drive that really tick me off. Why in the hell anyone would ever even think that's an OK thing to do is beyond me.

Shermie

Site Supporter

We have something similar to Metro PCS here called Cricket. It's $45/mo (with all the taxes, etc) unlimited talk and text. It's great for the city, but poor coverage when traveling. So it all depends upon your needs and your location.

I stopped back at the MetroPCS store and inquired about possibly getting
e-mail service through the cell phone and they told me that it would be $50 more a month!

I then told them that it was supposed to be for free. They said THAT one
IS free and that it's through Yahoo. Paying $50 more defeats the low cost of the cell phone service, so I'm not paying any more than the price offered for the service! :neutral:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

My brothers girlfriend has Cricket and it well sucks..lol Dropped calls are the normal when she calls us..

i pay $60/month for unlimited text and calls-prepaid...AT&T...if i want the data plan its $20 extra for 100mbs

TMobile has a new plan out for $60 or $70 a month for unlimited everything including internet.. They allow the use of smartphones as long as the phones are jailbroken.

I will be switching to TMobile next month

Shermie

Site Supporter
My brothers girlfriend has Cricket and it well sucks..lol Dropped calls are the normal when she calls us..

i pay $60/month for unlimited text and calls-prepaid...AT&T...if i want the data plan its $20 extra for 100mbs

TMobile has a new plan out for $60 or $70 a month for unlimited everything including internet.. They allow the use of smartphones as long as the phones are jailbroken.

I thought about getting the AT&T $60-a-month prepaid plan, but I felt that was too much and the AT&T should be ashamed of themselves, offering only THAT ONE service plan to their loyal customers like I once was.

They can't do any better than THAT?!

But in a way, I might as well have gotten it because at times, it costed me almost $80 for their lousy Go Phone service, which I think totally SUCKS! Too little for too much!!:yuk: :sad: :puke1:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Just an update;

The new cell phone service still works great!

No more aggravating & annoying "minutes" to have to pay for and run out of!! I love it!

Shermie

Site Supporter

I've found out that since I've gotten the new MetroPCS service, there have been fewer dropped calls.

I went to Portsmouth, NH with a friend last weekend and I was STILL able to make and receive calls!!

It's great!! :thumb:

Shermie

Site Supporter
The cell phone that I bought with the new MetroPCS service has crapped out!!

And I friggen couldn't get another one without having to pay for it. Seems the LCD display had cracked, causing it to be snowy and hard to read!! They won't cover that, and since I didn't take out insurance on it, I was screwed!!

I bought a much better one this time around, and I DID take out an insurance plan for it, which covers it if it is broken, lost or stolen.

The phone itself is a Motorola Quantico, it's made to stand up to rugged use, is submersible, weather resistant, water resistant in 3 ft. of water for up to 30 minutes, is encased in a very tough casing and it can also be used as a walkie-talkie.

It's a much better phone, but it's also very expensive. But I think it's worth it. I like it so far!!

gadzooks

I'm a Nextel user, but for a flat $50 a month, you get unlimited everything with Boost pay as you go. Boost uses Nextel phones and Nextel network, so it works everywhere Nextel does.

Shermie

Site Supporter
So they don't charge you by minutes on the phone like that crappy AT&T's Go Phone service does?

gadzooks

Nope. They do charge for 411's, though. But there is a FREE cellphone information number you can use, so nbd.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Google 411

http://www.google.com/goog411/about.html

You don't need a computer, an Internet connection, or even the keypad on your phone or mobile device. GOOG-411 is voice-activated, so you can access it from any phone (mobile or land line), in any location, at any time. For free. (*)
Dial (1-800) GOOG-411. Say where. Say what you're looking for. GOOG-411 will connect you with the business you choose.
If you are calling from a mobile device, GOOG-411 can even send you a text message with more details and a map. Simply say "Text message" or "Map it."

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have what is called My Metro, which allows me to access the Web on the cell phone.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm a Nextel user, but for a flat $50 a month, you get unlimited everything with Boost pay as you go. Boost uses Nextel phones and Nextel network, so it works everywhere Nextel does.

A friend of mine has Boost.

I've influenced two other friends to signup for MetroPCS. They like it!! :chef: