1/2 cup good Burgundy wine

Burgundy gravy:

6 tbls. roast beef drippings
1/4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
2 cans condensed beef broth - undilluted
1/2 cup Burgundy wine

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Mix salt, herbs and pepper. Rub herb mixture into beef on all sides and stand roast, fat side up, in shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer through outside fat into the thickest part of muscle (point should not rest in fat or bone).
Mix gravy seasoning with 1/2 cup Burgundy. Spoon some over beef, place beef , uncovered in preheated oven and roast, basting several times with remaining Burgundy mixture for 3 1/2 hours (for rare), 4 1/2 hours (for medium), or 5 hours (for well done).
When roast is done, with 2 large forks, remove to heated platter, cover with foil. Pour off drippings and reserve. Let roast stand in warm place while you make gravy and Yorkshire Pudding (recipe to follow) if desired. Roast will be easy to carve after standing 20 to 30 miinutes.

To prepare Burgundy Gravy, return 6 tbls. reserved drippings to roasting pan. Stir in flour, salt and pepper to make a smooth mixture. Gradually add beef broth and Burgundy wine, stirring until mixture is smooth and free from lumps.
All browned bits from meat should be loosened and dissolved in broth mixture. Bring gravy to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Taste and season with salt and pepper. This should make about 3 cups of gravy.

To serve, using a large, sharp carving knife carve across roast toward rib bone. Cut along rib to remove slices. Slide a knife under meat slice to place slice on serving plate. Serve with Burgundy Gravy and Yorkshire Pudding. This recipe is pared down from original - this makes 8 to 10 servings.

Yorkshire Pudding:

2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into greased pan 8" square pan or whatever suits and bake at 425 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes until Pudding is golden and puffy. Pudding will fall after being removed from oven. Serve with standing roast of beef and Burgundy Gravy for a feast fit for a king!:chef:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This sounds wonderful Ian! I've never had Yorkshire pudding but it's on my "to do" list! Thanks for posting your recipe!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
When my aunt was a new bride in the 50's she used to save recipes from a magazine (can't remember the name of the mag). Every issue had a recipe called "The Bride Cooks ..." This was one of the menus. I have been making my version of the burgundy gravy recipe (I add spices, more of the wine and a bit of gravy master etc) for 20 years now and this recipe for yorkshire pudding. I usually make an eye round roast instead of the rib roast (less pricey LOL). They are fantastic.

I wish I could find the "The Bride Cooks Caesar Salad" recipe. I used to make it and it was wonderful. It wasn't quite like other recipes I have seen. It had a few additional ingredients like blue cheese that gave it a very unique flavor. But lost the recipe in one of our moves and I can't remember all the ingredients to the dressing. :sad:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Still trying to find it for you Peepers....it was in the July 1966 issue.

I'm afraid that the articles in McCall's Magazine were about 20 to 30 years before Ian's time - he learned the recipe for the Standing Rib with Burgundy gravy while he ws in school and it was the entree that he and his buddies made for their graduation dinner last November. It was so good and was one of the best dinners presented. Gotta agree, though - Prime Rib is so expensive. There is a small sports bar over in the next town over from the New Hampshire line in Massachusetts that serves Prime Rib every Saturday night - $9.95 for a small rib with baked potatoe and light veggie or garden salad and it's wonderful. Every once in a while we're able to afford it. They also do a fantastic St. Patrick's Day feed every year that is just out of this world and includes an Irish soprano who sounds for all the world like a cat in a Cuisinart but it's worth listening to her caterwall just to get that terrific corned beef and cabbage. We try to go over evey year to enjoy it but I think Ian is going to be working that day and we won't be able to go. Drat! :mad:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I was just commenting that it has always been a fantastic menu/meal. YUMMY combo of meat, gravy and a carb other than taters. My family loves eye round roast. And honestly the gravy tastes good on all beef and yorkshire pudding.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks amazing, Ian!

I wish I could afford to have prime rib more often - I adore it!

Lee