Slow Cooker vs. Dutch Oven

ChicagoEd

Hello again. Since you all were so very quick and helpful on my first post, I thought I'd ask another cooking question! I have a wonderful Le Creuset 6.75 qt cast iron enamel dutch oven and have adapted a couple recipes from a slow cooker (crock pot) and have gotten lucky, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a "standard" alternative cooking time for the dutch oven in relation to the crock pot.

I've cooked a couple things that call for 6-8 hours on low for a crock pot in my dutch oven for about 2 hours and they came out great. This may be the "standard", but I can't go by that for just the couple recipes I tried and I wanted to get somebody else's opinion on this. Has any one adapted any slow cooker recipes for a stovetop dutch oven and if so, was your time ratio similar to mine? Do you think it's a good standard to follow for all slow cooker recipes?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I can't help you on that one Ed. I prefer a dutch oven and really don't have that many things that I cook in a crock pot to bother with adjusting the recipes.

Leni

When I use my Dutch oven instead of a slow cooker I set the oven temperature at 200 degrees. It works beautifully because that's the temp the slow cooker is supposed to be at when set on low. Sadly most the the new ones boil when set at low.

ChicagoEd

I was talking stovetop cooking, not putting the dutch oven in the oven. But thanks anyway for your input! I know what you mean. I turn my burner to the lowest setting and it still seems to boil, albeit gently---hence my cooking time of almost 1/4 of the crock pot time! Hell, I think I'll just cook everything for 2 hours and I'LL end up creating the standard! LOL!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
If it boils too high on the lowest setting, try making a heat difuser.

Take a long strip of aluminum foil, and scrunch it into a long snake shape. Then form your snake into a ring or circle. Put that on your burner, and set your pot over it. It will drop your 'boil' down to a simmer.

ChicagoEd

Great tip---thanks---I do have a smaller "simmer" burner on my stove, but the dutch oven doesn't fit centered on it because it's in the back. I guess being cast iron it's heating evenly anyway so I guess I could put it back there if I think it's boiling too much.

Leni

If you are cooking meat of any kind you do not want the liquid to boil. It makes it dry and stringey.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great question, ChiEd!

And excellent info in the replies, too!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I was talking stovetop cooking, not putting the dutch oven in the oven. But thanks anyway for your input! I know what you mean. I turn my burner to the lowest setting and it still seems to boil, albeit gently---hence my cooking time of almost 1/4 of the crock pot time! Hell, I think I'll just cook everything for 2 hours and I'LL end up creating the standard! LOL!

Ed, I figured that's what you were getting at.
I have never put what is considered a dutch oven IN the oven to bake/cook anything (an enamel covered bean pot yes).
I hope the link I posted was somewhat helpful.
Happy cooking and welcome to NCT.:chef:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Welcome to NCT, Ed. Sounds like you have a wonderful piece of kitchen equipment. I would LOVE to have one of those, and may have to snag one on my next trip to the US. Might result in overweight baggage, though!