Fried Chicken

AllenOK

Fried Chicken
Yields: 12 pieces

There’s nothing like some good Fried Chicken. I usually use leg and thigh quarters, cut apart, as they’re dirt cheap and the kids love them.
I used to always think that this was just a marinade, but I’ve recently realized that this is more of a brine, and the salt helps to transport the flavors and extra moisture into the flesh of the chicken. Keep in mind that if you use buttermilk, or marinate for 6 hours or longer, you will want to cut down on the amounts of seasoning used with the flour, as the resulting chicken will be to salty.

12 pieces of chicken
For the marinade:
3 eggs
3 ¼ c cold water
-or- buttermilk
-or- milk
1 ½ T McCormick Broiled Steak Seasoning
-or- 1 ½ T meat seasoning
1 ½ T Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
-or- 1 ½ T seasoned salt
For the seasoned flour:
1 ½ T McCormick Broiled Steak Seasoning
-or- 1 ½ T meat seasoning
1 ½ T Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
-or- 1 ½ T seasoned salt
3 c flour

Combine the marinade ingredients. Place the marinade and chicken pieces in a mixing bowl or gallon ziplock baggie. Stir the chicken around to coat it. Marinate for 3 - 4 hours or overnight, turning once or twice.
Heat a deep-fryer to 350°F, or heat an inch of oil in a large cast iron skillet. Sift together the seasonings and the flour. Remove the chicken from the marinade, and dredge through to the flour. This may be easier if you do the “shake and bake” style, by placing the flour into a bag and dropping a couple pieces of chicken in and shaking it. You may want to dip the chicken pieces back into the marinade and repeat the breading, for a thicker breading. Deep-fry the chicken pieces until done, about 15 - 20 minutes, or until a probe thermometer reads 170°F in the thickest part of the meat but not touching the bone. When done, remove to a wire rack over a sheet pan to drain.