Really fresh chicken.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Have any of you ever bought chicken from one of those places where it is clucking when you go in and you take it out in a bag?

The old market in Paterson has such a place. There are several kinds of chickens. Iny ideas as to which different kinds of chickens taste how?

chowhound

As far as I know, Andy, the only difference in the breeds is some are white skinned and some are yellow skinned. I never read anywhere in my chicken books, or on the forums, where one tastes different from another. At least in your typical breeds which would either be a meat bird or a dual purpose (meat and eggs) bird. There may be some exotic breeds that are different, but then, was it farm raised or true free ranged?

Either way, I would certainly have them pluck it for you.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Oh1 Mega yes there Fred. I am squemish enough with "Please have a seat sir while we whack and clean your bird. I am expecting to get something that looks like a normal chicken in the store.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Some of the birds they had were black with white speckles. I didn't inquire about price.

buckytom

Grill Master
i would love to get a blue foot chicken. they're supposed to be amazing.

andy, where is this market? is it in the farmer's market off railroad ave, near corrado's?

the last fresh boids that we bought were from the goffle road poultry farm. we weren't impressed.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I get chickens for a local farmer also but have no idea what bread they are. He is Amish so no phone etc but he does sell at the farmer's market here. His prices are amazing also $2 for a whole uncleaned chicken or $4 for a cleaned chicken. His chickens are the only one I will eat as the meat is real white as well as the wings look like chicken wings not turkey wing size.

chowhound

$2-4 is a common price to pay if you can find someone who will process chickens for you, so that's a damn good price, Joe. I had thought about getting some meat birds, but that's all I did, give it some thought. Meat birds are fed differently than layers as you want to be able to butcher them at 6-8 weeks old. I think you might even fast them before butchering... or fast them and then load them up again. Something is different besides the feed. I would have needed a whole nuther coop or coop area and didn't want to place anything else up front around the house.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
His are free range chickens for sure as he doesn't own a car, electricity at his home nor phone etc. Everything is a nature intended and it shows in the meat on the bird. No yellow skin color on his nor pumped up with antibiotics or growth stimulants for sure. His actually taste as the chicken I ate as a kid on my grand parents farm in Virginia.

chowhound

His are free range chickens for sure as he doesn't own a car, electricity at his home nor phone etc. Everything is a nature intended and it shows in the meat on the bird. No yellow skin color on his nor pumped up with antibiotics or growth stimulants for sure. His actually taste as the chicken I ate as a kid on my grand parents farm in Virginia.

The color of the bird's skin has nothing to do with how it was raised, but rather the breed of chicken it is. Or was... lol
And I'm pretty sure they don't inject chickens with hormones anymore. Now they are designed to grow like they do from genetics. Beef gets injected, but I'd bet money US chickens don't. Of course, they aren't exactly free range like that farmer's either. Most people don't like a bird where the muscles are worked very much, but I prefer wild turkey over storebought, so I have to agree with you that there is a difference.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Bucky, The market is in downtown Paterson. I am not sure of the names of the street. It is less than a block from the Paterson bus terminal. I call it the old market, I really do not know what the name of it is. It is an old farmers market. There are two fresh fish markets in there, a bakery, a couple produce stands and two places with fresh chickens. Oh Yeah! only 3 1/2% sales tax too.

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks andy. i think i know where you're talking about. dw and i bought some baby furniture in downtown paterson a few years ago. i remember going past a market that sold live chickens. dw mentioned how her mom would buy them when she was young, and how she couldn't watch her mom rip the feathers out.

hmmm, i'm getting some good ideas on how to train my parrots...

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK I am in Paterson now I switched on the GPS and it looks like if you go to the corner of Broadway and Tony Columbini place you should be there

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The color of the bird's skin has nothing to do with how it was raised, but rather the breed of chicken it is.

Ah not to disagree but I was told by a guy in the buisness of making chicken's bigger that the yellow is caused by the feed they use in large chicken manufacturing only. I know that when this yellow looking skin first showed up on the grocery store shelves about 45 years ago I stopped eating them for the most part as they didn't taste right to me. I've also noticed they have gotten larger besides going from the egg to the store shelf in about 4 to 6 weeks. Now to me this isn't done normally but with the use of chemicals or genetic engineering both of which I don't agree with. Food to me is fine as long as it is natural.

I've also noticed that it seems the fattest people I meet diets have proportional more chicken than red meat or vegetables other than fried potatoes in one form or other. This includes my grand kids in those that don't eat chicken tend to be a thinner than those that do as well as less apt to get sick. Now I can't prove any of this but have seen the difference over the years in those around me.

chowhound

Sonofagun. I just googled it and it does say diet. I know one of my books mentioned breeds, too though.
Apparently it is how well the chicken can absorb nutrients, with yellow or golden an indication of a healthier bird. At least with modern birds.
Hmmm, I wonder what color my chickens' skin is...

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
true only if one considers marigolds a chemical or genetic influence.

marigold "products" for example will change the color of eggs, skin and comb.

large producers do use specific "strains" of chickens. they are the product of selective breeding, not genetic engineering.

the FDA and USDA have all the feeding and health regulations on line if want to see what chicken producers are and are not allowed feed, etc. various chicken supply chains impose more rigorous rules and regulations on their growers than the government.

I've seen commercial chicken production up close and personal. the life of a chicken before it gets to your table is not quite the picture painted by folks ala PETA.

and don't think that buying eggs/chickens from a small producer is "better" - the small ones are exempt from Federal laws/regulations. so you might want to sleep in the coop a few nights and learn how things really are going "down on the farm" before you abandon the "chain" names.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I spent most of my life on a dairy farm that also grew live stock including chickens for food. When the chickens started changing in taste and texture I stopped eating them for what ever reason.

Now as for the FDA and USDA give me a break on those two out fits since they have been consistently under funded since Reagan was in office. I bet their isn't a single inspector within miles of any large chicken farm. You might check out that last GAO report which was highly critical of USDA food inspectors being under trained and understaffed.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh yeah, it's bad. My BIL is a veterinarian and after he sold his private practice, he went to work as an inspector. He could only stick it out for less than 4 months and he's been a strict vegetarian ever since then.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oh yeah, it's bad. My BIL is a veterinarian and after he sold his private practice, he went to work as an inspector. He could only stick it out for less than 4 months and he's been a strict vegetarian ever since then.

Until they fund the USDA and get enough inspectors this country will never have safe, healthy food sources unless you are lucky enough to live near family farms that will sell product to you as individuals. I'm 63 years old and have been a foodie since I was a kid. I've seen the foods here change a lot mostly to the bad not the good. I've also never had a weight problem unlike my brother and other members of my family has along with all the health problems obesity brings with it. Neither has my wife even with her current health problems do to a thyroid problem though not a weight problem.

chowhound

That's it Chowderman.... "selective breeding". That's what I meant to say, not genetics, although genetics plays a part. They select the birds with the traits they want, such as large breasts.
Been watching too much sci fi lately ;^)