What do you keep around for those nights..........

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Now that almost looks like a store Mama. But Prego or Ragu, now that would embarrass me to if it was in my pantry. It isn't like a pasta sauce is hard to make or can't be made quickly though I spend about 4 hours every two weeks making 6 qts. :yankchain::hide:

I usually make my own pasta sauce too but I keep the jar sauce on hand for emergencies and when the kids and grandkids come and want something quick or the don't feel like going to the store so they just stop by my house. If I can't get the sauce for less than $1 a jar ( I love coupons), I don't buy it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My wife noticed it looking over my shoulder when I was looking. I guess the fact I was in aw when I saw it drew her attention to begin with. She used to buy them herself from time to time then I said no more I'll make enough every two weeks and we will put it into 1 qt bell jars in the refrigerator. I do approve of the rest though and envy the space you have to store it.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't have a "Real" pantry. We actually turned one of our extra bedrooms into an office and use the closet in there for a pantry. Works out great. We bought the shelves at Sam's Club. I keep everything rotated and never buy anything unless it is on sale. As a matter of fact, I have to go out to hte store later and get roll sausage. The store has Tennessee Pride 1 pound packages on sale for $1.49/ lb. Most places here sell it for over twice that much. I'll pick up 20 lbs. and add it to the freezer.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I also have gallon pickle jars with dried beans, flour, sugar and cornmeal mix as well as large canisters with for pasta, walnuts, almonds and P-cans.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
All you need is a case of the tomatoes shown in the image. Once you use those in a sauce you will never go another brand.

Attachments

• San Marzano Tomatoes.jpg
    San Marzano Tomatoes.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 95

joec

Gold Site Supporter
When you see it pick up 2 cans and give it a try. Don't use sugar with it until you taste it a bit. Tomato paste really doesn't matter much to me as I add what ever good brands as most are fine. I also use the paste can to add the same amount of a dry red wine to mine. I do this once the onions and bell peppers have softened a bit then I add the paste and wine.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Geeez Mama.... with all that you could sequester yourself in your house in the event of a disaster and they would find you 6 months later still eating high off the hog!! LOL.

We also keep a frozen Stouffer's Lasagna hanging around in the freezer on occasion.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think Scarlett said it best: "As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again." :biggrin:

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
OMG, I need to live by mama!!!

Sorry, but, I love Jose Ole cheese tequitos and El Monterey chicken and cheese tequitos, lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you Mama and I need to know when you move to Kentucky as we have to get together and share war stories. :wub:

Last edited:

babe

wow mama, that is a lot of food. i almost always have frozen lean q, and corn dogs or a burrito in freezer. soup in pantry, cheese. and of course the old standby breakfast for supper.

Last edited:

heb1976

Pretty much........everything :lol:

holy shit Mama! Pardon my french. I'm coming to your house when I need to go shopping. WOW!

My husband is wanting me to stock up like that because of the economy and doomsday coming - he wants me to prepare like people did during Y2K. I guess it can't hurt to have a ton of food either way. I go to the Amish salvage stores by me and get a ton of canned foods. I have to really watch the dents and expiration dates but I get a ton of cereal bars and those oatmeal bars for $.79 and brand name boxes of cereal for $.99 - Hidden Valley Ranch is only $.79 or I get a banana box full of dressing for $5. The kids love them and I would rather they snack on those then sweets. I also hit Aldi's - but will only get certain canned foods like veggies - there soup brands are not good. There cereals are awesome and they have all flavors like Cookie Crisp (there brand) - and they taste better - all for $1.79 a box. Alot better then $4. We got a ton of 6 ft shelves from a guy hubby works with and I have been stocking canned good out there.

WOW! I am amazed! You are my hero!

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The economy is the biggest reason we do it. You really can't imagine how much money we save by stocking up when things are on sale. It makes cooking a lot more fun too because you have so many different ingredients to play with.

heb1976

The economy is the biggest reason we do it. You really can't imagine how much money we save by stocking up when things are on sale. It makes cooking a lot more fun too because you have so many different ingredients to play with.

It is a good idea Mama ... I guess I just do not want to think that we are getting to that point. Altho I know deep down hubby has a point.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Someday I will have a nice large pantry... which will be hard to do in such a small house, but I think I may be able to fit one in the basement in the corner... I am hoping!

PanchoHambre

last night was one of those nights... frozen meatballs... dried pasta made some gravy with beef broth and a roux...easy & tasty and very low effort

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
i'm usually happy with just about anything. i like a salad, a tuna sandwich, toast with eggs or some tomato soup.

lilylove

Another favorite fast fix for me is
a good old bowl of oatmeal or malt 'o' meal with lots of brown sugar, butter and milk.