Top Chef Masters

smoke king

Banned
Anybody watch "Top Chef Masters" last night? (besides myself and Ghetto Racing Kid) What did you think? I liked it, and will keep watching.

It amazes me what these guys are able to produce with a toaster oven and a microwave! Goes to show you, top dollar equipment is nice, but doesn't always translate to great food.

In retrospect, I realize that I am a complete hack in the kitchen! (lol)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I watched and also enjoyed it. I though at first these guys have large egos and wondered how they would handle a competition like this. I was pleasantly surprised at how gracious they losers where. Now I do expect that Hubert Keller will win it all, but he still faces some really good chef's. I also think he got a bit of respect for some of the regular contestants on Top Chef that he has judged harshly in the past. He did tickle me with what he said about a micro wave, he has one at home he uses to dry out is news paper.

smoke king

Banned
:agree:I agree Joe, I think Hubert is going to be the one to beat. I'd like to say he exhibited "grace under pressure" but I honestly don't think he felt any pressure!!

I anxious to see Wylie Dufresne. I don't know if I would eat his food, but I like the way he thinks. I am dazzled by that whole molecular gastronomy movement. Adds a whole new meaning to "playing with your food"!

Finally, a summer show worth watching!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm not much on the molecular gastronomy movement either, just not food to me at all. There are some others scheduled to compete in this that could be as good as Keller though so it should be an interesting show.

To be perfectly honest though I'm not a fan of French Cuisine and rate it a step higher than English cooking. My favorites are Italian, Spanish and Asian by far over all of the other styles of Cuisine. I don't really consider America as having its own Cuisine yet in the truest sense as it has evolved from all of the other influences since our country was founded. Now with that said we have kind of regional foods really getting started that I love.

CharlieD

I kind of missed the begining, did they show who going to compete/ Did they set rulles and regulations so to speak? Looks like they knew each other, I wonder if they just met on the set or because they are top notch chefs the know each other outside the competition? I know french are very popular around the worls, but persobnaly I like Asian foods better. Or I probably should say asian as it is presented in the USA, since I've never been to Aisa. Looking forward for more competitions.

smoke king

Banned
I think this show just gets better each week. I enjoy the other culinary competitions, but its at a whole different level when men/women who are at the absolute top of their game are competing.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've been following it also and enjoying it myself. It is funny too in that many of these people have been judges before on Top Chef and are now beginning to understand how hard this can be given the twists and turns it has taken. I think I know who will win it all in the end though with my guess being Keller.

CharlieD

I cannot stand that girl, what's her name, aha gail simmons or something. I don't know why but she sure robs me in the worng way, maybe she should get an hour of therappy from RR in that neighboring thread.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes me and I think it will come down to Michael Chiarello and Hubert Keller. I might add I have loved this series and hope they continue it. Especially using previous judges in their regular Top Chef's series. I really like to see these Pro go through the same quick fire rounds the regular series does. I also like the fact they all have so much respect for each other in that they know when they screwed up something as well as being the first to admit it. Really a class show in my opinion.

smoke king

Banned
I'm with you Joe-my wife and I were discussing how we actually like this more than the regular "Top chef" program. I too hope they decide to keep doing it.

I like Hubert Keller (I've since found out he has a show on public television) of all the contestants, he just seemed to exhibit the most grace under pressure. That being said, I was pretty impressed with Chiarello as well. I guess the only time I've ever seen him was on his old Food Network show, but I thought he demonstrated his chops on TCM pretty well!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I hope they have another season of this including some like Emeril, Mario etc. I would love to see them as well as Keller again and some others. I would even like to see Tom Colicchio as a contestant, he is supposed to be a good chef himself.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I'm with you Joe-my wife and I were discussing how we actually like this more than the regular "Top chef" program. I too hope they decide to keep doing it.

I like Hubert Keller (I've since found out he has a show on public television) of all the contestants, he just seemed to exhibit the most grace under pressure. That being said, I was pretty impressed with Chiarello as well. I guess the only time I've ever seen him was on his old Food Network show, but I thought he demonstrated his chops on TCM pretty well!

It's going to be a tough match, that's for sure. Michael Chiarello has had shows on PBS for many years before he showed up on FN. I was surprised when Rick Bayless won too but I'm not so sure how he's going to fair with the others.....what do you think?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I personally think Keller is the one to beat period but who knows. I guess that is what makes the shows fun to watch.

smoke king

Banned
I like Keller too, and I think I have from the start.

You know, I was kind of surprised at Bayless too. Always thought of him as sort of a "one-trick" pony with the Mexican cuisine, but having seen him twice now, its obvious that he knows his stuff!

Anita Lo really seems strong too, but I'll be honest, before TCM I had never heard of her! I really like the way she thinks-her dish in the preliminary rounds (for "doogie howser" and friends) was so cool-I thought it really illustrated food as "art".

Lets face it, at the level these guys/gals operate, its anybodys to win-I'm just glad I get to watch!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
After watching it last night I have to agree Bob. This will be tough regardless of who wins they all are great at what they do.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Don't you think Michael Chiarello started off a bit cocky last night? I'm glad he got put in his place. I was impressed though, how he admitted to honoring his dish to Rick Bayless. I think they both did a great job!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Michael Chiarello is a bit cocky all the time I gather though the man can cook. I don't find his cockiness as grating say as Bobby Flay though.

smoke king

Banned
An hour until the finale-anyone care to venture a guess?

I'll go with Chef Keller-he's been my favorite from the start.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you Bob and second choice with be Bayless with my last guess being Chierello but really don't have a clue. All 3 of these guys could win it hence I'm watching to see myself. I think it comes down to the hops they make them jump through in quick fire and final challenge.

smoke king

Banned
Well, Bayless wins! I must say I'm a little surprised. I'm sure his food is awesome, it just seems a little "rustic" considering who the judges were!

Personally, if I had to judge myself based on what I saw, I still think Keller wins! His plates are almost too magnificent to disturb with knives and forks!

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
It is very hard for the viewer since we can't taste their food! :) But I'm glad Rick Bayless won, it would have been too scary if Chiarello had won, I think his ego might have cracked my television screen, lol

CharlieD

Mommy, did you try to search the Internet? There are a lot of Rick's recipes available. Also check the BravoTV.com they have bunch of recipes from the show and even have Mario, or what's his name cook some of them.