Tomatoes

Leni

There is such a thing as too much of anything. In this case it is tomatoes. I played farmers wife today putting up tomatoes and weeding the garden. I'm beat. :sad:

Leni

I just discovered a new tomato for me that is called Gold Medal. I saw it over at my local nursery. The fruits are HUGE! They are between one pound and two pounds each. I ordered seeds for next year. Not cheap but if they produce like I saw at my local nursery then I am really in tomato heaven.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
mine are just now getting fruit going. The earliest ones have some that is the size of tennis balls. The others are flowering and almost ready to tie up to the cages over them. Slow year for things around here.

Leni

I peeled and froze five quarts of tomatos yesterday. I still have a large colander full of them.

PH, that's the advantage of living in the San Fernando Valley. I can plant tomatoes as early as March. I've even had a vine last all through the winter and producing although the fruit wasn't a good as summer fruit. Still it was better than store bought.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've had four or five Early Girls so far.

My grape tomatoes are the sweetest I've ever had!

Lee

Ian M.

I'm totally frustrated with my tomatoes - my big vine (in a cage) has about 9 Big Boys on it that are soft ball-sized and hard as rock and green as all get out - I've done everything I can think of for them - watering appropriately, getting them as much sun as I can find around here - but that's the real problem, I think. There's no such thing as a good six to eight hours of sun per day when there's so much overcast and rain going on all the time! These critters simply refuse to ripen! What can I do to encourage them to turn red and be nice and juicey? I'm hardly a great gardner but these things will be gorgeous if they ever stop fiddling around and get ripe! What to do, what to do. Does anyone who is a great gardner have any suggestions for a gardening klutz like me? I know there are some stellar gardeners out there - QSis, Leni, Mountain Man, Chile Farmer - anyone?

Thanks, Ian

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Ian!

Your tomatoes are right on track! Even my "Early Girls" are mostly green at this point, and the Big Boys are an even later variety.

Just be patient, and your tomatoes will turn red on schedule in later August into September.

Good to hear from you!

Lee

Ian M.

Thank you so much, Lee. My bride is now doing handstands to think that perhaps we have done it right after all and will have at least a modest little tomato harvest within the next six or eight weeks. This is grand! I have my ingredients all lined up to make BLT's and some salsa just for bruchetta or something that we can enjoy while watching tv late night. This is so cool!

Ian :blob_blue:

Leni

I agree with Qsis. My weather here is totally different from yours. I am in a classic Mediterranean climate so I can plant a lot earlier than any of you back East can.