Buttermilk Roasted Chicken

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This was a Nigella Lawson recipe that was posted in the New York Times newsletter that I got in email.

I bought two chicken halves which were less expensive than a whole chicken and saved me some work.

EXCELLENT RECIPE!!

This chicken had the moisture, texture and flavor of a storebought rotisserie chicken! Even the white meat was wonderfully juicy!

Easy, too - a keeper! :clap:

Lee

Buttermilk Roast Chicken – NYTimes/Nigella Lawson

Ingredients

· 1 4-pound chicken
· 2 cups buttermilk
· ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
· 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
· 1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
· 1 tablespoon Maldon or other sea salt
· 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, roughly chopped
· 1 tablespoon honey

Preparation
1. Butterfly chicken by placing breast side down and using heavy-duty kitchen shears to cut along both sides of backbone. Discard backbone, turn chicken over and open it like a book. Press gently to flatten it.

2. Place chicken in a large freezer bag. Add buttermilk, 1/4 cup oil, garlic, peppercorns, salt, rosemary and honey. Seal bag securely and refrigerate overnight or up to two days.

3. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Remove chicken from marinade and place on a rack so excess can drip off. Line a roasting pan with foil and place chicken in pan. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Roast for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees. Continue roasting until well browned and until juices run clear when chicken is pierced where leg joins thigh,about another 20 minutes.

4. Place chicken on a carving board and allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting into serving pieces. Place a portion on each of four plates, and drizzle each serving with pan juices.

Buttermilk chicken 1.JPG
Buttermilk chicken 2.JPG

Last edited: