Date Nut Bread

homecook

This is a recipe of my moms'. She used to make this and cut it into finger sandwiches and slather cream cheese on it. So simple but so good.

Date Nut Bread

1 cup chopped, pitted dates
1 cup boiling water
1 T. butter or Crisco
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped nuts

In a bowl add chopped dates and butter/Crisco. Pour boiling water over it to soften the dates.

In separate bowl beat together egg and sugar til creamy.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add nuts to this mixture.

Add 1/2 the egg mixture to dates, mix, then add 1/2 flour mixture. Repeat with other halves.

Pour into loaf pan. Let sit while the oven is preheating to 325F. (don't ask me why)

Bake in 325F oven for 50-60 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.

Slice thinly.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
If this is half as good as your banana-nut bread, Barb, it must be fabulous! Copied and pasted.

homecook

It's really good Terry. Let me know if you make it. I'm going to try making it this weekend. I haven't had it in awhile.....

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
As soon as I get home - I'm making this it, Barb. What kind of nuts do you recommend?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
we love date nut bread w/CC i have been looking for a good recipe. i have a question is this the dark bread like the one from the store (neuman's brand).

homecook

we love date nut bread w/CC i have been looking for a good recipe. i have a question is this the dark bread like the one from the store (neuman's brand).

What is neuman's brand??

It's not real dark, it's a brown, moist bread.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
What is neuman's brand??

It's not real dark, it's a brown, moist bread.
Neuman's date nut bread.

neumans-date-nut-bread-round.jpg

Last edited:

homecook

It's similar in color but it's in a loaf shape because of the pan. Really don't know that it would make a difference. Try it and see.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
It's similar in color but it's in a loaf shape because of the pan. Really don't know that it would make a difference. Try it and see.
already put ingredients on my shopping list!! the recipes i have seen are really pale and look more like pound cake with nuts.

lilylove

It is good. With her recipe... you add the baking soda to the boiling water and dates and let them sit while mixing everything up.... :)