What's Cooking NCT Sun. 1/31/16 to Sat. 2/6/16?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I am planning on making cheese and potato blintz (what is the plural of blintz? Hmmm)
OR green pepper and onion scramble with pan fried smoked ham steak and biscuits.

One of those is for today and the other is for tomorrow. :yum::readytoeat:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
How you doing the ribs, Cooksie?

Lee

I did these in the oven, but I really prefer them smoked. I pulled off the membrane on the back, put some Head Country Rub on both sides, and baked them for 1 1/2 hrs at 350. Pulled them out, applied a very light coat of Stubb's Original, and back into the oven for 1/2 hour. They're pdg like that :).

I love that Head Country Rub. I tell people...Smell it, Just Smell it! It's good stuff.

Saliha

Sausage soup for tomorrow:

izUBv1y.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good job, Dan, and welcome back! I moved the photos and recipe for your Finnish Meat and Vegetable Pasties over to the Ethnic forum. They look wonderful!

Saliha is a magnificent chef and baker, so she will be a big help to you as you explore your Finnish culinary heritage!

Saliha, would you please post your recipe for Sausage Soup in the Soup/Stew subforum???

Cooksie, I love Head Country rub, too, and I've made some pdg ribs in the oven as well! Now I want some!

Lee

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm going to make some mushroom soup tonight. Kimchee put one on here that looks like what I'm looking for, and I found another one in google land that looks interesting. It has goat cheese in it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Sunday was green pepper and onion egg scramble with pan fried smoked ham steak and biscuits.

My DD and I made crepes Sunday night and made the filling on Monday.

Monday and Tuesday were potato and cheese blintz.

Last night we had tacos and tonight is take out.

Johnny West

I put a Cure 81 ham bone on to simmer and will add onions and split peas. It will not be pureed but stew like.

The ham was spiral cut and on sale for $.99 a pound because the expiration date was upcoming. It was cut up, bagged, and frozen for future meals.

Embryodad

Had chili that Tina made. Not spicy so that she could eat it. I just add hot sauce into mine when I eat it.
Of coarse, I had to have mine on top of hot dogs laying in New England style split top rolls, with chopped onions. *(burp)*

Dessert was two Entenmann's plain (stale) doughnuts, and coffee!

It's 1:00 am, and I have a Angel Food Cake baking in the oven for tomorrow!

Johnny West

I'll bake store bought chicken cordon blau and russets for tonight. I may make a salade depending on how I feel.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Last night was thin steaks, mashed and salad.

Tonight will probably be Pasta with Broccoli Aglio Olio. I may use Ronzoni quick cook Rotini (cooks in 3 minutes), haven't tried it yet and I hope it's good.

Embryodad

Had a late breakfast ...11:00 this morning!
DW corked off on the recliner watching TV.

I have no clue what to make for supper. I could go for some hot sausage, but it won't be anything Tina would eat. I have frozen crab cakes, but she doesn't like them because they have too much crab meat in them. ?? I cannot figure that out!

Embryodad

Last night was thin steaks, mashed and salad.

Tonight will probably be Pasta with Broccoli Aglio Olio. I may use Ronzoni quick cook Rotini (cooks in 3 minutes), haven't tried it yet and I hope it's good.
Oh! peeps... that sounds good! ...

Never tried that new pasta. Never even heard of it.
We did try that Barilla whole grain macaroni, and it's not too bad, but I still prefer the regular kind. I don't eat that much macaroni since I have type 2 recently.
I go by the blood test#'s... As long as my after a big meal 2 hr test is below 170, I don't go crazy worrying.
about it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Oh! peeps... that sounds good! ...

Never tried that new pasta. Never even heard of it.
We did try that Barilla whole grain macaroni, and it's not too bad, but I still prefer the regular kind. I don't eat that much macaroni since I have type 2 recently.
I go by the blood test#'s... As long as my after a big meal 2 hr test is below 170, I don't go crazy worrying.
about it.

Thanks Jimmy. Will let you know how it is. UNLESS family complains and wants something else for dinner.

BTW For breakfast we had eggs, pork roll (Shop-Rite Tangy is what we like. I really don't like Taylor/Trenton brand it's to bland for us) and homemade buttermilk biscuits for dipping. I had a friend over so went big this morning. LOL

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Girls decided to pick up sushi for themselves on the way home. So I asked them to pick up a skirt steak for me. I had that with salad.

K

Kimchee

Two meals in my future:
1. T Bone Steak! For some reason, I looked at the weekly Sav-A-Lot grocery store flyer. This week they have T Bone and NY Strip steaks for the unheard of price of $3.99 a pound. Decent steaks. Half inch thick cut, nice size. Mexican beef, but I don't care. So far I've gotten 18, will hit them again before the sale ends. I love my vacuum sealer.
2. A new chili idea. Based on an Italian beef bolgonese recipe, I'm hoping to achieve both flavor and texture not yet achieved. If it works, I'm entering a local chili cookoff. :)

Saliha

Traditional Shrove Tuesday lunch:

rZ2DMds.jpg

Pea soup and rye bread - taste memories from my childhood.

:readytoeat: