My Garden

Saliha

The last sunflower is waiting bees - but they all have gone...

SuR4bFC.jpg

The color collection:

3qEr3aw.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ah, Saliha, your leaves are even more beautiful than the ones I collected today to send to former New England friends who now live in Florida and Hawaii!

Very pretty photo against the weathered wood, too!

Lee

Saliha

Chilies ripe also indoors. Hot chilies:

4hG4wOk.jpg

3sw8KKa.jpg

A lot of their leaves fall. I think because air indoors is quite dry.
Behind a leaf cactus and a dragon fruits.

Sweet chilies:

tjVnasO.jpg

Saliha

Garden is empty, ready for the winter and waits the next growing season. I added some compost soil, garden lime and fertilizer.

diYyUGT.jpg

Maple is empty from the leaves.

XZ5umC2.jpg

They all are on the ground now.

And again, still one sunflower wants to be the last one...

bz1WcMc.jpg

Saliha

The last round zucchini has changed its color to more orange - it might be too dry and hard to eat:

cS4hEez.jpg

So it will decorates my table.

Saliha

The winter is coming soon as the squirrels come to the garden looking for food.

1wI6vVb.jpg

The seed bar is open already - today I saw how one squirrel sowed sunflower seeds to the garden beds. Well, I will have a lot of sunflowers everywhere at the next year then.

:D

Johnny West

Your squirrels have the cute tufted ears which ours don't.
I started feeding mine again, as well as the birds. This year
the chickadees stayed the summer but then I keep suet out
for them year around. a few days ago there was a downy
woodpecker feeding in the pear tree. I don't see a lot of them.
I keep a book of all the birds I see but even the pictures make
it difficult to identify some of the visitors.

Saliha

We have here also Siberian flying squirrels. They are so super cute that you could think they escaped from some Disney´s cartoon movie.

Or what do you think?

0000c53f_medium.jpeg

:wub:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
those squirrels are precious, Saliha.

Ever see black ones?

We have them around here.
------------------
Black squirrels are usually found in the south part of Ontario and Quebec. In United States there is a large number of black squirrels in Iowa and Kansas (which is known as the "Black Squirrel City"). Some populations of black squirrels can be found in Ohio as well, which descend from a pair that was brought in 1890.

In 1914 the black squirrel was introduced in Vancouver and since then they have spread throughout Vancouver - North Shore - Fraser Valley. They have also spread from Vancouver into the Washington State area.

Black squirrels also can be found in Europe: England has several black squirrel populations in Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Cambridge and other locations. Such animals have been found in the eastern area of Russia as well.

As you can see black squirrels can be found all around the world and their population is getting bigger and bigger by the day. These squirrels are actually grey squirrels with high levels of black melanin in their hair.

http://www.squirrelhuntinginfo.com/black-squirrel.php

Saliha

Black squirrels are very rare in here - only a few can be seen and not even every year. I haven´t never seen any. Because the predators can see their black fur easily at the winter, they might not survive here very well. Red squirrels become light grey at the winter, so that color protects them better in snow.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We have black squirrels in the Boston area.

I don't know if I have one or several, but my neighbor named him (or them) "Ninja".

Ninja was burying something in my backyard this morning before I went to work. As with Saliha's experience, I suspect he found some sunflower seeds on the stalks I left for him.

Lee

Saliha

Seems that your Ninja will ensure to you too a lot of random sunflowers for the next summer. This might be the reason why I had many of them in some unexpected places here.

Johnny West

My grandparents (father's side) had black squirrels in their trees in Rock Island but I've not seen them in central or NE Iowa where I hunted squirrel. I've not seen them in WA either but then I don't spend much time in northern WA except to drive through on the way to B.C.

Saliha

The last harvest:

YaGHeca.jpg

I still found some peppermint from my garden. It seems to be in good quality.

Saliha

In the garden snow has melted again. On the front yard I have Siberian carpet cypress, it changes brown for the winter and green for the summer.

bzvPlWO.jpg

If I wouldn´t know that it changes its color, at the spring I might think its now totally died. :ohmy:

Also leaves of Bergenia cordifolia change the color:

sDaeZwL.jpg

048alZQ.jpg

Garden is waiting the spring, some perennial herbs covered:

TUvTDzU.jpg

7ta3gHC.jpg

Saliha

I checked my seeds which have left from the last years and found out I don´t need to buy much at this year. Well, of course I will buy again too much and wonder then where I could get a bigger garden - as usually.

:wink:

Flowers:

NwOb6Fn.jpg

(corn flower, white clover, nigella damascena, sweet pea, sunflower, China aster, English marigold, Convolvulus tricolor, clarkia, golden everlasting, painted daisy, marigold, corn poppy)

Vegetables:

Yp82BBj.jpg

(beans, peas, pickling onions, Welsh onions, pumpkin, sweet corn, carrots, radish, lettuce, spinach)

Herbs:

bqDukJF.jpg

(chamomile, dill, sage, Greek oregano, summer savory, parsley, red basil, chives)

Plus those seeds I collected at the last season (dill, anise hyssop, lovage, broad beans, shark fin melons, tomatoes, foxgloves, sunflowers).

Now the only I need is the spring!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pretty seed packets, Saliha! Those French Breakfast radishes are the most successful radish variety for me! Love them!

What great weather we've had in Boston in December! I still have celery, cilantro, marjoram, sage, rosemary, thyme and even tiny radish plants that I planted in October! I've covered them with gardening cloth and they are thriving!

Lee

Attachments

• Garden 12-12-15.JPG
    Garden 12-12-15.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Garden radishes 12-12-15.JPG
    Garden radishes 12-12-15.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 188

Saliha

The leaves of chilis - new growing at the winter season:

NioWF6s.jpg

When looking those leaves, it feels like the spring is coming... well, sooner or later.

:D