Magic Jack.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
MIL had this and I used it when my phone service went out. I didn't care for it, there was a horrible echo and delay, but, it did it's job in a pinch. I wouldn't get one for my permanent phone personally. If you do get it, make sure you ask for 911 service! She didn't know she had to ask for something that is suppose to be mandatory and didn't have it!! She had to pay extra to get it. Thankfully, she didn't need it when it wasn't there.

Shermie

Site Supporter
As far as I know and have been told, 911 calls are supposed to be free with Magic Jack. I'll look into it.

But they warn you that any 911 calls have to be an absolute positive emergency, otherwise you could be criminally charged for a crime if the call is not of an urgent nature.

To call anywhere in the country is said to be free.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
somebody has some bad info.

because of the "internet" thingie you have to 'register' your street address with MagicJack so the system know _where_ to route the 911 call.

what is not so immediately obvious, if you use MajicJack in multiple locations, the 911 services respond to the address on file. we have some snow bird friends and they need to remember to change the 911 address when they go to FL for the winter.

MagicJack explains all this - but since so many people don't bother to read "instructions" . . . .

it's all free and included with the basic service - "She had to pay extra to get it" is not accurate.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
You DO have to give your address when registering and signing up so that they'll know where to send the bill when it is eventually due.

And according to the info that I read on the website, you use it mainly at one address. If you move, even if it is still in the same city or town, you MUST register the new address with the device, or else the service won't work.

This at one time, was also a problem with cellular phone users as well, but I think that has all changed also.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I talked to an friend this weekend who tried magic jack and hated it. She never did get it working right and got a $50 refund. She thought it somehow caused problems with her computer. I did not get any other details but I thought it only cost $20 a year not sure why she paid $50 to start with. :confused:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Sherm - the reason for the strict rules on the address is because off 911 service. If you or someone needs 911 and they go to the same house it's no good.

From what I hear, if you five it it's own computer you are OK. Otheewise you have problems.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>You DO have to give your address when registering and signing up so that they'll know where to send the bill when it is eventually due.

incorrect. it is pay in advance for the basic service - in _years_ I have never seen another bill from them. _if_ you choose to sign up for specific international calling - some call countries do carry per minute "extra" charges - that goes on your credit card, they don't send you a bill.

>>And according to the info that I read on the website, you use it mainly at one address.

incorrect. I pack it whenever I'm going traveling and expect to have a broadband connection available.

>>why she paid $50 to start with.
simple. the device costs money, the service is an annual fee. so to start out you have to buy the device and pay the first year service plan.

no one reads anything anymore . . .

Shermie

Site Supporter
>>You DO have to give your address when registering and signing up so that they'll know where to send the bill when it is eventually due.

incorrect. it is pay in advance for the basic service - in _years_ I have never seen another bill from them. _if_ you choose to sign up for specific international calling - some call countries do carry per minute "extra" charges - that goes on your credit card, they don't send you a bill.

>>And according to the info that I read on the website, you use it mainly at one address.

incorrect. I pack it whenever I'm going traveling and expect to have a broadband connection available.

>>why she paid $50 to start with.
simple. the device costs money, the service is an annual fee. so to start out you have to buy the device and pay the first year service plan.

no one reads anything anymore . . .

1. Then why is my address needed and is shown below in the pop-up which appears either when I make or receive a call?

2. Reguardless of how the srvice is paid for for the next year, it STILL has to be paid.

3. Yes, that is if you stay at that address, but if you move or travel and still want to use it, yes, you must give another address where you will be for that time.

4. I paid $40 for the device ($20 for each) and the first year.

5. No one reads any more?;

6. Incorrect.

It does NOT cost $50 to buy the device and for the first year. What was the extra $10 for?

6. The device is $40 nationwide no matter which store that you get it from. :neutral:

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Don't know why $50 instead of $40. Maybe it was $40 and change and she rounded up. Not sure, I simply know that is what she said.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>the $50
from the site:
"magicJack costs $39.95 plus shipping and handling."

>>Then why is my address needed and is shown below in the pop-up which appears either when I make or receive a call?

if you look closely, to the left of the address is a green thing labeled "911"
perhaps it's a friendly reminder as to what address is currently active for 911 service?

if you click on the drop down list button to the right of the address you'll see you can have multiple 911 addresses "on file" and easily switch between them.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I DID see that and I DID do that.

Sorry about that.

But can you tell us why the lady paid $50 instead of $40? Has the price gone up on it or something?

Because I was at a Walmart store on Saturday with a friend and saw that the price for it was still $40.

Also, I was at another Walmart store on Wednesday with a long-time friend who wanted to buy a computer. Saw the device there and it was also $40. We later drove over to MicroCenter to look at the laptop computers there. He bought one from there instead after I helped him select one that is the best for the amount of money that he wanted to spend.

Saw the Magic Jack there. It was still $40.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
once upon a time one could not go into stores and buy it. when I got mine it was only available on-line or by phone.

just looked it up - paid $44.90 including shipping and handling; I'm guessing you can pay for expedited shipping.

I rather suspect the $50 is, as suggested, a rounded figure.

Shermie

Site Supporter
So I would assume that getting it at a Radio Shack Store, which I did, or at any other store where electronics are sold, helped me save on S&H charges. If I ordered it over the phone or on the Web, those charges would have applied.

Looks like they might be planning on stopping the device from being sold in the stores and only selling it through phone or Web orders so that they can croak people for the extra $10. What a shame!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm stopping the service and going back to Comcast for home phone service.

Tired of the friggen aggravating and annoying dropped calls everytime that I talk to someone!! Have to call back 3 or 4 times! Not worth it!! It's been happening way too often and it is driving me nuts!!

Plus there is no 800-number to call if you're having any issues with the device! You have to communicate through their website only. Guess that it IS true what they say. Sounded too good to be true, and now, looks like it IS!!! You get what you pay for!!

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm stopping the service and going back to Comcast for home phone service.

Tired of the friggen aggravating and annoying dropped calls everytime that I talk to someone!! Have to call back 3 or 4 times! Not worth it!! It's been happening way too often and it is driving me nuts!!

Plus there is no 800-number to call if you're having any issues with the device! You have to communicate through their website only. Guess that it IS true what they say. Sounded too good to be true, and now, looks like it IS!!! You get what you pay for!!

Tried to warn you back in posts 9, 11, & 12.

Still your MagicJack is paid up for a year, so you have several months of service left. If you want to try and get your money's worth, then consider using a small laptop as a dedicated MJ server. Wipe the laptop, install XP clean, then install MJ. With that done, put the laptop in a corner and don't use it for anything else. I found that MJ works best on a clean install and with nothing else going on.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Granted, but I had to find out for myself.

I may take you up on your suggestion, but I only have one phone line, and that will be used for the Comcast line.

I just restored my other laptop pc on Sunday. Maybe put it into THAT one.

Guts

I looked into running a FAX with one and was told it did not have the speed I needed. I know one person that has one and likes it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I looked into running a FAX with one and was told it did not have the speed I needed. I know one person that has one and likes it.

In a sense, that is correct. VOIP such as MJ has a low bit rate voice codec of 8kbps. A typical fax transmits at 9.6kbps, so it will be severely distorted and typically fail. Further, faster fax machine can run at 33.6kbps, which is never going to work on VOIP.

Next, there is a lot of POTS signaling that FAXes need that aren’t transmitted over VOIP. Then you have to deal with VOIP silence suppression, packet loss and fragmentation, variable delay, and more. All of which will kill a standard FAX.

One way to work around this reliably is to implement the T-38 FOIP model, but that has to be done on both ends and supported by the server. All of which is impossible with MJ (unless you know how to hack the TigerJet chipset it uses).

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
One way to work around this reliably is to implement the T-38 FOIP model, but that has to be done on both ends and supported by the server.
Oooh - I didn't know this! Thanks, Keltin. I have Voip for my home service and I cannot send or receive a fax over it.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've decided not to put the MJ software into the other computer.

And when the service with Comcast is reinstalled, I'm removing the software from THIS computer as well.

Besides, without the device plugged in, the pc will boot up and shut down much faster!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'm still waiting for MagicJack to start selling their femtocell usb computer add on so I can use my iPhone with it.

Shermie

Site Supporter
When are they supposed to do that?

Not that I'm interested at all, because now I shouldn't have bought the device.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm now back with Comcast for home phone service.

The switch-over was made and completed yesterday. No more dropped calls and being cut off in the middle of calls!!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
When are they supposed to do that?

Not that I'm interested at all, because now I shouldn't have bought the device.

It was announced at the Vegas Consumer Electronics Show in January. I really could use one due to a poor AT&T signal at my house in FL.

Shermie

Site Supporter
It was announced at the Vegas Consumer Electronics Show in January. I really could use one due to a poor AT&T signal at my house in FL.

Question;

Does anyone know if I can sell the MJ device and get some of my money back? Or am I stuck with it because I'm not using it anymore?

Or can I give it away to someone else who wants to use it? :bonk:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Question;

Does anyone know if I can sell the MJ device and get some of my money back? Or am I stuck with it because I'm not using it anymore?

Or can I give it away to someone else who wants to use it? :bonk:

You can sell it or give it away. It will still work on anyone else's computer, but they should request a new number unless you are getting a different one and don't care if they keep your old number.

We gave ours to a friend after using it for 4 months or so meaning there were 8 months of service still left. He used it for about 4 months as well, then ditched it. Not sure what happened to it after that. :lol:

Shermie

Site Supporter
You can sell it or give it away. It will still work on anyone else's computer, but they should request a new number unless you are getting a different one and don't care if they keep your old number.

We gave ours to a friend after using it for 4 months or so meaning there were 8 months of service still left. He used it for about 4 months as well, then ditched it. Not sure what happened to it after that. :lol:

My phone number IS different with Comcast. Couldn't port the old one over.

But I don't know of anyone who has a computer and wants to buy it or use it. :bounce: