You start with bread....

What do you call it?

• Total voters

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
In Bergen County, NJ, it's a hero. In New Orleans, it's a poboy, although, there are few similarities other than bread and stuff in between.
I get funny looks when I mention 'hero' down here.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I do make sandwiches at home, but when I get one of those take-out things in a long roll, we call them subs.

We have sub shops on every corner in these parts.

I have two favorite subs at my favorite shop: 1) imported Italian cold cuts with provolone cheese, or 2) rare roast beef, provolone and onions. Both are jumbo, on huge braided rolls, and I only eat half at a time. $7.25.

Lee

JackieBlue

Banned
It's a submarine (sub) sandwich in my part of Jersey. Ham, salami, provolone, lettuce, tomato, onion, oil and vinegar. Sometimes jalapenos.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
heros, subs and hoagie are just different location slang/dialect for the same thing/sandwich style - and perhaps more specifically the bread shape.

a grinder as I "know" it is a grilled - or more accurately "broiled" one of the above.

growing up in Philly, never "heard" the term hero until I was dating my DW in Baltimore.

PoBoy look to have a similar bread shape, but the contents are different.
never heard of an Italian PoBoy.... but an Italian sub/hoagie/hero is a defined thing, at least in and around where I grew up. then again, in a trendy deli I have seen "shrimp subs / hoagies"

a meat ball PoBoy? or a clam PoBoy or a lobster PoBoy - clam rolls & lobster rolls, yup.... and they don't go by hero or sub or hoagie. getting a tuna hoagie/sub isn't a problem; anyone ever seen a lobster or clam sub/hero/hoagie on a menu?

sandwich seems to be a generic term for "stuff" with bread on both sides.
oh.... there's the "open face" versions...

if I put the same identical fixings/cold cuts/seasonings between two pcs of sliced bread, it's a sandwich - on a roll it'd be an "Italian hoagie"

sandwiches come on bagels, pretzels, kaiser rolls, and on and on - that's why I tend to think the hero/sub/hoagie type sandwich is more defined by the shape of the bread.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i say 'sammich.

though here & there i'll say. 'hoagie', or 'sub'

SilverSage

Resident Crone
My preference is for bread or toast - I don't like all that excess in the big long roll.

A nice old fashioned Bacon-Lettuce-Tomato on toast is the ultimate for me. You can all have your hoagies, grinders, subs, etc.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Depends on the ingredients for me.

If it’s cold cuts like ham, roast beef, turkey, etc, then it’s sub or hoagie (typically sub unless the bread I bought calls itself hoagie :lol:).

If it’s fried seafood items like shrimp, oyster, gator, shark, etc, then it is PoBoy.

So regular cold cuts = sub/hoagie
Exotic meats = PoBoy

I’ve seen “hero” used in recipes and web pages I’ve read, but I’ve never heard it used in conversation down here.

If you say "I want a hero” down here, you usually get some beer swilling, camel smoking redneck that does this (9 seconds in)! :yum:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8xgVPsRh8w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8xgVPsRh8w[/ame]

buckytom

Grill Master
as you'd mentioned, vb, it's a hero here in joisey if it's on a long french or italian type bread.

i've never called it a hoagie, grinder, or sub.

but don't forget round rolls too. i don't think it's a hero if it's on a round roll. that's a just a sandwich.

but then there's the case of the hard roll versus soft.

so much bread, so little time.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
heros, subs and hoagie are just different location slang/dialect for the same thing/sandwich style - and perhaps more specifically the bread shape.

a grinder as I "know" it is a grilled - or more accurately "broiled" one of the above.

growing up in Philly, never "heard" the term hero until I was dating my DW in Baltimore.

PoBoy look to have a similar bread shape, but the contents are different.
never heard of an Italian PoBoy.... but an Italian sub/hoagie/hero is a defined thing, at least in and around where I grew up. then again, in a trendy deli I have seen "shrimp subs / hoagies"

a meat ball PoBoy? or a clam PoBoy or a lobster PoBoy - clam rolls & lobster rolls, yup.... and they don't go by hero or sub or hoagie. getting a tuna hoagie/sub isn't a problem; anyone ever seen a lobster or clam sub/hero/hoagie on a menu?

sandwich seems to be a generic term for "stuff" with bread on both sides.
oh.... there's the "open face" versions...

if I put the same identical fixings/cold cuts/seasonings between two pcs of sliced bread, it's a sandwich - on a roll it'd be an "Italian hoagie"

sandwiches come on bagels, pretzels, kaiser rolls, and on and on - that's why I tend to think the hero/sub/hoagie type sandwich is more defined by the shape of the bread.

I sell meatball Poboys daily....it took some getting used to, but down here, if you add mayo, lettuce, tomato and a pickle, it's dressed and it's a poboy. Clam poboy, while not as popular as the oyster poboy is done all the time. Same with Italian poboys...add lettuce, tomato, mayo and a pickle and it's a poboy.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I call it a sub unless it's seafood, then it's a poboy. As for what's on it, a poboy has lettuce tomato and mayo/tartar sauce. A sub, it just depends upon what kind of sub it is....could be any variety of meats or veggies.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
On regular bread, it's a sandwich. On the long roll, it's a sub. And then there's my favorite sandwich of all time, the muffaletta.

If cold cuts, etc. is served on a long roll (French or Italian bread), in New York it was called a Hero. In California, it's a Sub(marine) sandwich, particularly with the popularity of Subway. When they first opened, they actually had a map of the N.Y. Subway system & tiny subway seats.

Years ago, the "Club" sandwich was popular in NY. It consisted of three layers of toasted bread & various fillings - usually turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato & mayo - w/ a side of chips.

A hamburger or hot dog might qualify as a sandwich - any filling between two slices of bread - which puts me in mind of a patty or tuna melt. An open-faced sandwich w/ turkey & gravy was another popular sandwich in NY (served at Howard Johnson's etc. around Thanksgiving). Nathan's in Brooklyn, NY served chow meain on a hamburger bun. May sound odd, but it delicious.

To add to the cultural/ethnic list - bahn mi, panini, gyro, falafel, schwarma, mufletta (sp), stromboli. We have some bagel places that will put together any sandwich of hoice. I like nova scotia lox, cream cheese, red onion & tomato.

One of my favorite sandwiches is served on a buttery, flaky croissant - chicken or tuna salad - or whatever you like. Or, a sweet version with nutella or chocolate & strawberries (also called a panini - if it's grilled & served on ciabatta or crusty bread).

Recently, I noticed sub shops coming out with sandwiches on flatbread - probably to give folks a healthier low-carb alternative.

One of my favorite make-at-home sandwiches/subs is a Philly Meatball - with sauteed onions, green peppers & provolone.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
In Bergen County, NJ, it's a hero. In New Orleans, it's a poboy, although, there are few similarities other than bread and stuff in between.
I get funny looks when I mention 'hero' down here.
:a1: I also call them heros
Depends on the ingredients for me.

If it’s cold cuts like ham, roast beef, turkey, etc, then it’s sub or hoagie (typically sub unless the bread I bought calls itself hoagie :lol:).

If it’s fried seafood items like shrimp, oyster, gator, shark, etc, then it is PoBoy.

So regular cold cuts = sub/hoagie
Exotic meats = PoBoy

I’ve seen “hero” used in recipes and web pages I’ve read, but I’ve never heard it used in conversation down here.

If you say "I want a hero” down here, you usually get some beer swilling, camel smoking redneck that does this (9 seconds in)! :yum:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8xgVPsRh8w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8xgVPsRh8w[/URL]

That is my all time favorite western!! I love the bar scene between Ringo and Doc spinning guns and collapsible cups! LOL "Hes educated!! Now I know I hate him!!" LOL

It's a submarine (sub) sandwich in my part of Jersey. Ham, salami, provolone, lettuce, tomato, onion, oil and vinegar. Sometimes jalapenos.
We call that an Italian Hero up here sometimes add cappicola and pepperoni. Never had jalapenos on mine BUT have had pickle and/or pepperoncini on the side. I like Genoa salami on mine.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>sell meatball Poboys daily....it took some getting used to, but down here, if you add mayo, lettuce, tomato and a pickle, it's dressed and it's a poboy.

how do you fit all that stuff in there with the red sauce? 'our' meat ball sub is a row of meatballs in the cut roll drowning in tomato sauce. melting cheese on top (very thinly slice) if you like....

>>Same with Italian poboys...add lettuce, tomato, mayo and a pickle and it's a poboy.
uhm, Italian subs/heros got all that + onion + hot and/or sweet peppers + cheese + oil&vinegar splash + oregano and without question 15 zillion variations on the basics.

if one takes just the cold cuts and puts 'em on a roll, not sure I know the name of that....

they're all sandwiches - just slightly different regional variations and a name change.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
ChowderMan, if they want to pay for it I'll add whatever they want to the sandwich. Have to admit, it's very difficult to make a "Mark Parm, dressed" which is a meatball parmesan (red gravy and melted mozzarella) and then add mayo, lettuce, tomato and pickles to it. :chef:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
ChowderMan, if they want to pay for it I'll add whatever they want to the sandwich. Have to admit, it's very difficult to make a "Mark Parm, dressed" which is a meatball parmesan (red gravy and melted mozzarella) and then add mayo, lettuce, tomato and pickles to it. :chef:
Meatballs, gravy and cheese need no additions to it. I guess it's the Italian in me but that "dressed" meatball parm hero sounds very unappealing. Sorry JMHO (Do they do that "dressed" hero up here? I have never seen it.)

You start with bread, and... you accidentally drop a French roll in the au jus/gravy, & voila, the French Dip ("wet" sandwich) was invented. That's one of the stories I like about how the sandwich was invented at Philippe's. If you're ever near downtown Los Angeles, it's a must-try.

Here's some history about Philippe's & the French Dip sandwich. (If only one of my "mistakes" could bring me a bundle o' money. lol)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe%27s

(The lunch crowd)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:060807-007-Philippes.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_dip_sandwich

Cole's also claims to have invented the French Dip.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cole's_Pacific_Electric_Buffet

(From Wikipedia)

I've only read about The Hat, & their Pastrami Dip, & french fries served in a grocery bag. Maybe someday, but it's nowhere near my neck of the woods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hat

Last edited: