How many of you remember taking THIS to school during your childhood years?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
grindre, you must have an interest in food/cooking if u've joined a cooking site.
food can be very interesting, @ a minimal cost, too- & can be as healthy as u choose.

thegrindre

Well, yeah. Deserts are what I like to make although, I don't eat many sweets.
I have a web site with a recipe page although, most of you would say my recipes are quite bland. I use very little spices and I don't understand HOT. I mean it's tasteless. All it does is burn your mouth, burn your throat and burn your bottom when it comes out along with breaking you out in a cold sweat while it's going down. I don't understand this HOT craze everybody is on. It's just silly to me.

Sure, cooking interests me some but not so much as to go pro with it. I mean, I'm single and have to feed myself. Just a simple recipe is all I look for.
:)

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
well, i hear u. here, wings hafta be garlic-butter or mild. w/ bleu cheese dressing. properly-seasoned food rocks. improperly seasoned & over-seasoned food is not so great.

thegrindre

Now, then. What does properly seasoned mean? My wings get a little salt and that's all. That's properly seasoned to me. If you add garlic and pepper or anything else then they are improperly over seasoned for my taste.
All these seasonings and spices are far to over rated in my book.
I like what I like and you like what you like. I haven't seen one person here make the same thing the same way.
How many of you follow any recipe, to the letter? LOLOL I know I don't. I usually leave off most the seasonings and spices, myself. LOL

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
properly seasoned is seasoned appropiately. a 'lil salt, a dash of pepper...... my Chef instructors taught us balanced, low-key seasoning that would be subtle, yet enhance a dish. it's a skill that you hafta learn, & thus learn to adjust seasoning to be crowd-pleasing. not overwhelming. not underwhelming. there, tho.

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Now, then. What does properly seasoned mean? My wings get a little salt and that's all. That's properly seasoned to me. If you add garlic and pepper or anything else then they are improperly over seasoned for my taste.
All these seasonings and spices are far to over rated in my book.
I like what I like and you like what you like. I haven't seen one person here make the same thing the same way.
How many of you follow any recipe, to the letter? LOLOL I know I don't. I usually leave off most the seasonings and spices, myself. LOL

in higher-end restaurants, u would not find s/p on the tables. know why~ a properly-trained Chef seasons the food as the food ought be seasoned before allowing said food to be served to a customer.
& my Mom carefully follows recipes. she has not got that knack unless potato salad is being featured. her food is great. namely because she cooks only 5-7 items, or buys 'em pre-made. she picks on herself over this one.

this aside, i'm scheduling a dental appointment, as i'll soon be buying marshmallow creme.

Last edited:

Leni

Nope, basically, I like it plane and simple.
Actually, I've always thought eating and preparing food was a waste of time and money. I mean, it goes in one end and out the other.
I'm not a food lover. I don't live to eat, I eat to live.

As I said before your kitchen and mine would not get along too well. With pork I like a touch of sage. Pork chops will be pounded thin and then fried in olive oil with a coating of parmesan cheese. That's just one of the ways I like it. As luvs said seasoning is to enhance the flavor of the food. I have an herb garden outside my kitchen door and I use them. The plants grow faster than I can use them so I am frequently trimming them. I give the results away. Can't see throwing away what is so expensive in the storres.

Shermie

Site Supporter
The little bit of food I do eat tastes good just as it is. I like pork, chicken and fish with a little salt and pepper on it. I like the taste of the meat. It doesn't need any sauces or gravy's or fancy whatevers all over it, IMO.
And baking, broiling and steaming is the healthiest way to cook it as far as I know. Backyard grilling, smoking and processed foods are full of carcinogens or cancer causing chemicals and I avoid those at all costs.

I eat the same foods that you eat, but I like BBQ & cold cuts as well.

I don't eat it that often. Last time that I had BBQ was in Philly early last month. Probably won't have it agian until I go to Washington next month.

Cold cuts, hot dogs, butter, smoked & BBQ'd meat are just a few of the products that those brain child health beauracrats have been sitting behind their desks in Washington and laying the badmouth on for years!! :sad:

I don't eat these foods all the time, but I STILL eat them.

thegrindre

I eat the same foods that you eat, but I like BBQ & cold cuts as well.

I don't eat it that often. Last time that I had BBQ was in Philly early last month. Probably won't have it agian until I go to Washington next month.

Cold cuts, hot dogs, butter, smoked & BBQ'd meat are just a few of the products that those brain child health beauracrats have been sitting behind their desks in Washington and laying the badmouth on for years!! :sad:

I don't eat these foods all the time, but I STILL eat them.
Well, Sherm, all I've done is take a look at some facts.
It's a fact that the United States is the cancer capitol of the world. No other country has a cancer problem as we do. There isn't even a close second.
It's a fact that the southern states, or the south, is the capitol of obesity.
It's also known as the stroke belt. No other part of the country has heart problems or obesity issues as the south does.
Ingesting carcinogens and eating improperly is definitely a part of the problem if not most of it
I don't want medical issues in my later years of life so I eat as healthy as I can and eating open grilled foods, smoked foods and packaged processed foods are not healthy. I don't care what the government says.
If you want to feed your body moderately with carcinogens, then that's your choice. I'm not going to do it.
A frying pan does not fit in my kitchen. A deep frier doesn't fit in my kitchen either.
Baking, broiling and steaming is a better way to cook. And, it tastes good too.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Well, Sherm, all I've done is take a look at some facts.
It's a fact that the United States is the cancer capitol of the world. No other country has a cancer problem as we do. There isn't even a close second.
It's a fact that the southern states, or the south, is the capitol of obesity.
It's also known as the stroke belt. No other part of the country has heart problems or obesity issues as the south does.
Ingesting carcinogens and eating improperly is definitely a part of the problem if not most of it
I don't want medical issues in my later years of life so I eat as healthy as I can and eating open grilled foods, smoked foods and packaged processed foods are not healthy. I don't care what the government says.
If you want to feed your body moderately with carcinogens, then that's your choice. I'm not going to do it.
A frying pan does not fit in my kitchen. A deep frier doesn't fit in my kitchen either.
Baking, broiling and steaming is a better way to cook. And, it tastes good too.

Yeah, here's a pic of my grand nephews and grand niece. One of them, the one on the left, he's bigger than the other three.

They were all about to eat Thanksgiving dinner last year. And yes, they all live in the South with their parents, so yes, at that age. he's putting on the pounds.

He wants to be a cook or chef when he grows up, following in my footsteps!! I'm so proud of him, but I'm worried that because he's already overweight.

Regular peanut butter, BTW, has hydrogenated veggie oil - a transfat, so I switched over to natural peanut butter because it has no transfats. :cooking:

Attachments

• My grand nephews and neice getting ready to eat Thanksgiving dinner.jpg
    My grand nephews and neice getting ready to eat Thanksgiving dinner.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
could teach him exercise, & soon, it'll be time to swim. summer is near. & kiddos love swimming. uses plenty of kCals & builds muscle. muscle utilizes kCals pretty effieciently.

btw- natural pb is so much better than the others.

thegrindre

Cut those carbohydrates back. The southern people think bread is a necessity for every meal and something to be snaked on in between, too. It's not.
Cut back on the sweets and add more protein and less carbs to their diet.
When I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to drink soda pop. I was told it was bad for me. I don't drink it to this day. I still think it's bad for me.
I was told I could drink all the fruit juices I wanted, not fruit drinks, fruit juices. I still do today.
I saw a mother fill her babies bottle with coke-a-cola on more then one occasion. Sad, IMO.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I applaud you for your healthy eating habits, grindre! Lately I've been trying to eat healthier and do find that baking, broiling, and cooking on my new George Foreman grill produces some great tasting meals.

I kind of feel like the South is getting a bad rap here :yankchain:. I was born, raised, and still live in the South and we never had bread at every meal and certainly never snacked on it in between meals. I still don't eat much bread.

I do still deep fry every once in a while. Sometimes I just have to have my fried shrimp fix :).

Shermie

Site Supporter
I applaud you for your healthy eating habits, grindre! Lately I've been trying to eat healthier and do find that baking, broiling, and cooking on my new George Foreman grill produces some great tasting meals.

I kind of feel like the South is getting a bad rap here :yankchain:. I was born, raised, and still live in the South and we never had bread at every meal and certainly never snacked on it in between meals. I still don't eat much bread.

I do still deep fry every once in a while. Sometimes I just have to have my fried shrimp fix :).

Agreed, Cooksie!!

I just HAVE to have something fried every once in a while.

But bigness runs in my family, and this is part of the reason, I think, that my grand nephew is getting big. He likes to eat (what kid doesn't?) and also, he enjoys what he eats!!

I'm also big, and his grandfather (my dear late brother) was also big. I don't think that there are many of us left who are small. :eating2:

thegrindre

Hi Cooksie,
I happen to be a misplaced Californian that now lives in Arkansas and has lived in Mississippi, too, for a total of the past 35 years.
I speak generally but have found what I've said to be true of most southerners. Not all, but the majority.
These folks down here fry most everything. I visited a friend and his mama had cut bread into strips and was deep frying them. YUK!
The tube of Pillsbury Biscuits says bake @ 425 for 12 to 15 minutes... Not the southerners, they deep fry them!
They even fry ice cream! I've never heard of such nonsenses. There must be a love for eating grease.
They boil their vegetables to death! I don't think there are any vitamins or minerals left after a southerner boils vegetables.
If the south is getting a bad rap, they've brought it on their selves. They have some of the worst eating habits I've ever seen.
It's no wonder it's known as the obesity capitol and the king for heart problems. Most everybody down here is huge.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Mom & Dad were from the south (Georgia), and they pretty much did the same thing.

But when we were kids, we had no other choice but to eat it! It was either; "Eat what is on your plate, or you'll get nothing else!!', they would tell us. That was the norm back then.

Mom was short and overweight, but dad was pretty much tall & thin. And yes Rick, we ate a lot of greasy & fried foods! She would use lard to fry. But we were just kids, and we did not know any better. We even grew up still eating those same fatty foods.

Mom's genes got passed down to some of us, whereas, for instance, she developed high blood pressure, cardiac heart disease, hardening of the arteries, sleep apnea, battled obesity for many years, became a diabetic and she wouldn't change. In light of all of the heath awareness programs having come out that the media badmouthing certain fatty and chemically laden foods, we began to take a serious looks at mom, went on a mission to try to change our lifestyle, thinking that if we took the first step, that she would try to change hers. Sadly, she had three strokes, the last one being the final curtain! We lost her in '89, but we lost dad in '86 to cancer!

Sadly, I'M one of the ones who inherited her same health problems!! Several years ago, and I didn't know it at the time, I was having breathing problems. Thought that it was just a passing thing. But in time, it became worst! Went to the emergency room. I was almost immediately worked on. The final outcome was that I was diagnosed with heart failure!!

The question that I asked the doctors was can I go home. They said; "No, you can't go home, we have to keep you until your heartbeat returns to normal." My heart went crazy until they were able to restore it back to its normal beat!! About a week later, I was let go, but three weeks later, there was a relapse!! Had to go back, this time in an ambulance because it became a life & death matter! It was around THAT time that one of my sisters told me that mom also was diagnosed with heart failure as well!

Same thing. I was treated for about a week, but I was put on stronger medicine to keep those problems at bay. I was drained and weak, and walking up 3 flights of stairs didn't make things any better! Had to wait slowly until my strength came back.

I'm on at least nine types of meds a day, most of it is heart medicine. I can't skip, or the heart will go back into palpitations again!! I'm also a diabetic.

I strongly commend you in your effort to keep away from fatty and fried foods. My doc, cardiologist and nutritionist DID say that fatty, fried and starchy foods should only be eaten about every great once-in-a-while.

I HAVE modified my diet, I'm eating less and the weight is slowly coming off. I'm down to 282 pounds from 305 pounds. But anyone who says that it is easy to lose weight, they don't know what it's like until they've walked in MY shoes!!

Lost one of my brothers in '04 to alcoholism, diabetes and obesity! Learning from his mistakes. My oldest brother is also obese, and has diabetes. One of my younger brothers just told me a few weeks ago that he was diagnosed with high blood pressure. He's on medicine for it. he also picked up some weight, to which I hope that he can work off.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Mom & Dad were from the south (Georgia), and they pretty much did the same thing.

But when we were kids, we had no other choice but to eat it! It was either; "Eat what is on your plate, or you'll get nothing else!!', they would tell us. That was the norm back then.

Actually my parents would give you what you didn't finish for dinner for breakfast the following morning as well as breakfast. Needless to say it only happened once and we learned quick to eat what was served period. Funny thing is no obesity problems in my family either as we would run it off during the day. My kid brother is the biggest but wasn't till he got into power weight lifting but still isn't fat just huge in size.

Shermie

Site Supporter
My parents were bonafied sticklers.

Let them be alive today and us be kids again!!

They would NOT be able to get away with the stuff that they got away with back then!!

Laws have changed, and if they did that today, charges would be pinned on them, ranging from child neglect to child abuse and child endangerment!! :smile:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Lol, grindre, my mother boiled vegetables to death. I think that was a holdover from being scared of canned foods because of the bad canning practices back then.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My parents were bonafied sticklers.

Let them be alive today and us be kids again!!

They would NOT be able to get away with the stuff that they got away with back then!!

Laws have changed, and if they did that today, charges would be pinned on them, ranging from child neglect to child abuse and child endangerment!! :smile:

Well my father told me like I told mine, I gave you life and I'll take and go make another while having a good time doing it too. :whistling:

My kids actually believed it since I never had to prove it to them just give them a look and they new not to push any more. I actually heard my oldest son tell his don't make dad mad or he will have you stand in the street while he starts the car.
:smile:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Dad used the classic: 'i brought u into this world;- i can take you out'. that line was ineffective.

Shermie

Site Supporter
my Dad used the classic: 'i brought u into this world;- i can take you out'. that line was ineffective.

That was my mom's favorite line, also!!

And when we all got old enough to realize that it was just a scare tactic that she used to just scare the living daylights out of us, like you said, it didn't fly with us any more either!!

And she would threaten us, also! I stood up to her and said; "No you're not!! You don't be threatening me like that. Then she would get even madder!! It worked! She was trying to push our buttons and we pushed hers right back!! Hah!! :bonk: